Ready to move up at Full Tilt.. but can't?

• midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      So, I have a large enough bankroll to move up to the $3 SnG's, except Full Tilt doesn't quite have $3 Turbo's, they don't even have the $3 Regulars. They do however, have the $3.50 + 0.30 Super Turbo's, which I'm not comfortable with. By just taking a peek at MiskoKvo's Blog, it's obvious that they aren't "crapshoots." I just don't think that I'm ready for the crazy variance on those types of SnG's.

Full Tilt doesn't have any $4 SnG's, the $5 SnG's are regular only, and the $6 SnG's are finally where you get to the Turbo's again.

Any advice on what I should do? Should I move my bankroll elsewhere? Should I give the $3.50 + 0.30 Super Turbo's a shot? Or should I just grind up the $2 Turbo's until I have proper BR for the $6 Turbo's?

(ugh, why id FTP so limited in their SnG's?!?!)
  • 30 replies
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      I played the regular speed 3$ games until I had the BR for the $6turbos. It was a grind but I think it can help your turbo game by keeping you a bit more patient near the endgame, and playing less hands overall.

They only took about 15 to 20 minutes longer to play, maybe you can add a table to make up for it.

Another thing you can do is enter a multi table turbo sng maybe 18 players. it's a different game - many more fish but a good player can do very well there. ICM is a bit different with more than 3 payouts also.

Another thing you might do is deposit $50 and clear a bonus to help make it up to a $6 game BR.

Good fortune!
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Yeah, I'd play the regular old $3 SnG's, but that's just it, Full Tilt Poker doesn't have them.

Their SnG's go like this:

$1.00 + 0.25 Regular
      $1.00 + 0.25 Turbo
      ------------------------
      $2.00 + 0.25 Regular
      $2.00 + 0.25 Turbo
      ------------------------
      $3.50 + 0.30 Super Turbo (I'm not sure If I want to play these..)
      ------------------------
      $5.50 + 0.50 Regular (I prefer Turbo, but it'll take less grinding)
      ------------------------
      $6.00 + 0.50 Turbo (Shall I grind all the way here?)
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I'd definatly prefer the 2+20 turbo's. You'll have less variance, a steady winrate and get some experience with sng's :)
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I'm ready to move up though; I have a little over 80BI for the $2 Turbo's. Either I'm crushing these limits, or I am some crazy lucky mathematical fluke.

But I think I'm gonna move my roll to Stars so that I can play the $3 Turbo's there..

• LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Very nice graph. I have already seen it in the January graphs thread. You seem to be doing great!
      If I were you I would stay at the 2$ TURBOS. You are making money here and it should not take too long to get big enough BR for the 6.50$ (or 5.50$) and also if your first downswing comes it's better if it's at this limit rather than at a higher one IMO.
      You can take a shot at the 6.50$ with 40 buyins since the play is not that much tougher I don't think..
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      I think you should stay at 2's for a while, try to add more tables and see if that affects your play.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Waw you are running great! I'd definatly stick with those for a while :)
      And I agree with anssi: try to increase the number of tables. You can always decrease again when you rise a limit, or start taking shots in the near future :)
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I'm 4-tabling now and the tables barely fit on my screen. My monitor isn't big and I don't necessarily like overlapping tables, but I'll give it a shot.

(Does anyone know if the $6.50 Turbo's fill up pretty quickly? I was watching them on Full Tilt Poker and it seemed like they took a while to fill up.)
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Should be OK, perhaps you play in a bad timezone?
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Usually you are at 2nd blind lvl before the last table fills. But I play 9 tables so 4 obviously don't take that long.. And I try to table select as carefully as I can so sometimes I let one or two tables slip by..
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Hi midgetjay

I built my roll at titan which also went from $2 -> $5 games... you're running super hot ATM and from my experience you are bound to get a tester downswing so work through it at your current level.... build up the roll for the $5/$6... If you are beating the $2s it shouldn't take too long, it took me a few attempts to get up to the $5s so make sure you have the roll for it...

good luck and keep it up...
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      No sooner than you all said I was running hot..

lol

No worries though, most of the time I got my hand in with the best of it. Every now and then I'd run into a monster like KK or AA. I'm getting slammed back down to reality I guess, lol. Flips aren't really going my way anymore and draws are catching me left and right.

I'm just trying to weather the storm, I'll let you guys know how it goes..

(A 12BI swing is standard isn't it?)
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      yeah.... knew that was coming, which is why it's better to get through at the level you are most comfortable with... 12BI downswing is quite regular... you'll get worse than than... you have to, it's part of the process... just continue learning and improving your game and the overall profit will come...
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Thank you for those encouraging words. It just feels like I'm doing something wrong even though I haven't changed anything (except practicing more at ICM). I guess I'm too result-oriented.

Winning money = doing something right
      Losing money = doing something wrong

I need to break loose from that mentality.

In the meantime, I will continue to learn and improve my game. What are some other ways besides watching coachings, posting hands, and ICM Trainer?
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      There are 2 main aspects that will affect your progression... 1. your theoretical understanding and application and 2. your psychological attitude to the game...

While constantly learning about the game you are going to move up limits as you learn how to play, but learning when to play and when to stop and why can earn you far more money in thne long run... tilt runs in many forms and often people tilt without knowing it... I know I have been guilty of that... you have to encounter and overcome countless challenges you will experience your mental game has to be top notch... Everyone experiences the same ups and downs, but not everyone handles it the same...

I think the biggest challenges happen when you are more ambitious and eager to move up... I could probably go on and on about this, but when things are tough, ask questions...
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NickParkes
      I think the biggest challenges happen when you are more ambitious and eager to move up... I could probably go on and on about this, but when things are tough, ask questions...
      Everything in your previous post was true, but this stuck out to me b/c it applies to me right now. I've just been getting raped lately. Darn near all of my pocket AA's, KK's, and QQ's have been getting cracked, sets and 2-pairs have been getting rivered, and occasionally, I run into AA or KK with AK or AQ. It's so crushing when you have someone drawing dead and BAM! Look at the river. Time after time.

Sharkscope says I'm on tilt, but I really don't think so. It's only based on a losing streak, which is of 3 SnG's lost in a row. But frustrated? Yes.

I know in time, everything will even itself out, but it's just hard to see that right now. When I'm the favorite, I lose. When I'm the underdog, I lose.

**sighs**

Poker can be so cruel. But hey.. I signed up for it right? I'm gonna take a couple days off from poker. Maybe it'll help me get over all these beats.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      IMO opinion conquering tilt is one of the most critical aspects in making decent long term profit... I have just started a blog and this is going to be one of my themes... I posted yesterday a post I titled Analysis of a downswing, which simplay comes from my observations and desire to understand and conquer tilt, so check it out and tell me what you think...

I hate real work... time for some superturbos and fish...
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I tossed in my own 2 cents there. But hey, NickParkes, I just wanted to say that I genuinely appreciate your replies to my thread. Your comments have had a huge impact on my own self observation and evaluation, seriously. I hope you stick around long enough so that maybe one day I can give you a tip or two! :D

(btw, where do you play at?)

[x] 6-tabling
      [x] back down to earth
      [ ] 95%+ on ICM Trainer
      [ ] post at least 5 questionable hands everday for advice
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      No problem... I think I'll be sticking around for a good long while...

Anyway I am playing at Mansion at the moment... I'll be there at least until I have finished clearing the bonus... But I'll probably stick there until I am ready to graduate to the $33s...