SSS - How many 'ideal' opponents needed?

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi,

When playing NL 0.05/.10, I look for tables with 9 players, with as many of those players having a decent stack (50 BB or more, say).

However, there will often be a number of short stacks at the table as well. (Assuming all unknown players, you never know if the short stacks are playing SSS or just poor/cautious, but either way it seems less likely that you'll get well paid off by them.)

So, I'm wondering how many big stack players you need at a table to play SSS on 0.05/.10 profitably?

As always, thanks in advance.
  • 4 replies
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Look for 35BB and more
      The guys that is siting down with 40BB are big fishes most of the time
      At least 5 and you so, no more that 3 shorties, but only on good tables.
      So if there is one or two SSS sit on the table.

Best regards,
      Kukki

P.S. You can play profitably with 4 or even 5 SSS'ers, but it will not be optimal and you will have smaller win rate.
      You have effective stack of 20BB with every one on the table and if the shorties are bad playing 40/15 they are as monkeys as the big stacks
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks Kukki,

I didn't quite understand the last bit: "You have effective stack of 20BB with every one on the table and if the shorties are bad playing 40/15 they are as monkeys as the big stacks".

Would you be able to explain?

Cheers,

Tim
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I think he means that as long as they are bad players (not SSS) and have more than your stack, it doesnt matter what stack size they have.

Im sometimes tempted to play SSS when I see 6 shorties per table, but when I get AA or KK I want to have a BS =)
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      I mean that if the players don't play shortstack strategy, but have 20BB you can not count them as SSS. The problems playing with SS players for you is that they are tighter and put there money in the pot with stronger range.
      But if they play loose and call 3bets light there is no difference if they have 25 or 250BB, because when the money go in you will have 20 and they will have 20.