Do you believe in experience?

• tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Me and some friends were having a discussion about whether experience in poker counts. I was thinking surely if people start playing seriously at a young age they have the advantage against people who start at 20/25. Whats your opinions?
  • 5 replies
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Of course. It's much easier to learn a second language in you're childhood. In general, great musicians have been playing all their life. It's best to start a sport when you're young.

I think it's true what they say, "A young child's brain is like a sponge." If you were to start playing baseball, don't you think all the people who have been playing it all their life would have an advantage over you?

In general? Yes.
      Always? No.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      I agree with what your saying but younger people will make more mistakes. Time to teach my brother and he can earn me millions :D
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      IMO there are quite a few reasons why experience counts...

- The longer you work with numbers and odds, the more they become second-nature so you can instinctively evaluate your chances in any given situation and make the right decision.

- You develop better and better "intuition" (discussed in another thread here), which is probably best explained as subconscious recall of previous similar situations and their outcomes thus generally having a good feel of where you stand in a hand. You just become generally much more aware of every little bit of information that might give you an edge.... e.g. spotting and interpreting betting patterns, getting inside the mental state of your opponents and their tendencies and adjusting your play accordingly etc..

- Over time you obviously get rid of any anxieties you might have that could impede your judgement and negatively impact your play, like playing in big tournaments, facing strong and intimidating opponents etc...

- Just look at Stu Ungar's life story man, that should tell you something about experience! The guy was immersed in a world full of gambling, odds, and card games since his birth, and the rest is history. I cannot even begin to imagine how much more he could have dominated poker if only he got over his drug addiction. He could have truly been poker's one-and-only Tiger Woods.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      I have never heard of him. Will do some research
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/Biography-Special-Stu-Ungar_13383