Need help; losing every time I go up a level

• AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I have been consistently beating the $3 sng's, but everytime I go up a level to the $5 sngs I lose a lot. I go back down, get the money back and confidence back, climb up, and begin to lose again. I mean, the level of play is not that different, but I have found the biggest amount of coolers you can imagine. KK vs AA, QQ vs KK so many times. And I cannot win a coin flip almost ever, while going to the race almost always ahead.

My stats for the $3 sng's are not bad (I guess), ahead $438, ITM 42% with a ROI of 25%. However, in the $5's I'm down $161, ITM 26% and -30% ROI. Is this normal when you go up a level? My bankroll is healthy right now, I could even be playing the $10 sng's. But I feel that if I'm not beating the $5's consistently, I shouldn't go to the 10's.

I'm playing exactly the same way, not that I'm scared money or anything, but with every 10-20 bi downswing I feel the urge to go back to where I'm winning.

Any suggested readings? Thanks for any help.
  • 10 replies
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Silver
      How many BI's do yyou give youself as a cussion when you move up?
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I'd like it to be a minimum 50 BI.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Make sure you're not playing scared and post your hands in the analysis section.
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I'll try to post hands then... just a little lost on selecting worthy hands.

What should I post? Hands I push and I'm ahead and lose? Or that I'm behind and lose? Or any possible misreads? Or hands I lose prior to the push/fold stage?

Hmm... just replying to this post made me check something in my stats. In the $3 Sng's my average finish in 500+ tourneys is 4.8 and ahead $400+. In the $5 sng's, in 100 tourneys my avg. finish is 5.2. So my first guess is that I'm bubbling out too many times in the $5's. I'll start by going back to the ICM trainer and spending more time there.

I'm open to any suggestions fellow members could give me.
    • Abe1919
      Abe1919
      Bronze
      if anything they're are more bigger losers and fish in $5 games then $3,the only difference is the people that play there are obviously alittle bit richer and have more money to lose. My ROI drops when i move up to the stake and i hate suckouts or playing agaisnt people who haven't a clue.
      I played at $10 for awhile and was shocked at some of the play.If you give yourself a big enough cusion to lose a few and stick to that limit you'll get use to it,imo,gl
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Well, yesterday played five $5 sng's and cashed in 4 of them, 2 2nds and 2 3rds. Lost every time in a flip. I played ultra tight, vpip of less than 5 until the bubble. No limping with small pockets, suited connectors or even high aces in EP. Guess that those chips saved count a lot.

I posted a couple hands that were close decisions. Appreciate any observations.
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      Maybe you have upswing and earn some money then move up and get downswing.That kind of shits are normal for me move up a limit and get downswing dunno about others but its normal to me but then again i play cashgames.
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      post hands, watch videos and hopefully your luck will change
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AquamanBT
      No limping with small pockets, suited connectors or even high aces in EP.
      Don't ever limp high aces in early position. I don't know who tought you that but it certainly isn't in any of the articles. I'm not a big fan of limping suited connectors either unless you have loads of experience and have excellent postflop skills that is. It is a mistake not to call with pocket pairs when you have the right odds, though.
    • jp2570
      jp2570
      Bronze
      If your losing to a lot of coinflips, it sounds slightly dump but try not to get your self in to them. Try to spend more time observing the push ranges of the opposing players and change your strategy to suit. You seem to be mentioning a lot of pushing, just remeber if all your chips aren't in the middle you can't go out! Try to develope a few more skills for post flop play.