Climb with me

• amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      Hi Guys

I've finally got round to getting a blog started! Thanks to some extra time over the next few months I've decided to try and get back into poker by climbing the micros! I haven't played for a few years except a local game every couple of weeks.

I will be playing Zoom at Pokerstars and started this challenge last week and have managed to play 18300 hands with a WR of 6.76BB/100 (I tried to put my graph but i'm a blog making fish :f_drink: ) . I started at 10NL as I don't feel there is a huge difference between NL5 and NL10 - There are still a huge amount of fish and even the regs are relatively easy to deal with, IMO.

The BR is currently at $305 after Week 1 and i'm aiming to grind up to $1500 as the initial aim (50NL reg). For now at NL10 I intend to play a very basic TAG strategy, ABC poker and avoiding marginal spots, I would like to put alot of focus on solidifying my game (I can be very prone to tilt) to the point that we are crushing NL10. I will be reviewing my sessions/stats and trying to plug any leaks that I can possibly find, hopefully you guys can help me with that!

Although I have stated I have some "extra time" I do still work full time and lose at least 2 days of the week seeing my GF, so I do have limited time.

Objectives

- 15k Hands per week minimum
      - Stream all sessions
      - 30 min session review before playing each day
      - Blog post after each session including interesting hands
      - Focus on improving my play in the SB/BB (The blinds is definitely where I question my lines the most - It's horrible playing oop :f_cry: )
      - Get my VPIP/PFR within 4 points of each other (currently 6)

I also want to find something that can help me work on my tilt (Any suggestions would be great!!) I have read Mental game 1 and I feel it was not for me, hence why I haven't read 2. I have been meaning to look into things such as meditation and improving your mental state however I just haven't got round to it and don't really know where to start, if anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it!

I hope you guys can join me on this journey and help me to identify anything I may not be doing to maximum efficiency.
  • 17 replies
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      So I spent the night playing quite a long session and it was super sick, we barely got put in any tough spots and we got paid over and over again. I've never really played at these hours but the player pool seemed even softer than usual! I was very happy with my play, we barely missed any thin value and I feel we also got away from alot of strong hands where we were beat (probably). I do not have time right now to find out any interesting hands as I need to get ready for work :f_zZz: :f_zZz: :f_zZz: I will review the session asap and post the interesting spots here.

Latest update

Bankroll: $406
      Hands played: 22k
      WR: 10.4BB/100 hands

I probably won't have time to play now until Tuesday however I will try and do a review + post tomorrow (well...tonight). Until then, may you all take some of my run good :f_cool: :f_cool:
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze

Ok guys so with my limited time I have managed a short review of last nights session and i'm quite shocked a how different we played in this session compared to the last 18K hands!

We were playing 22/16 before and as you can see from the graph we were having a strong red line, our W$SD% was a little low for my liking at around 50%. When you put these factors together it is easy to see that we were being too aggressive, I was barrelling probably more boards than I should have been and what we gained in the red line we were probably losing with our showdown winnings.

There is a clear change in play that is visible from the last 4k hands of the graph, here we are playing 17/13!!! And our W$SD% increased to 65%. We also see the red line start to drop immediately, however showdown winnings go through the roof so we will not worry too much about the red line right now. It is possible that our 22/16 barrelling image helped us to get paid more often when we switched to 17/13. The 22/16 game was working for around the first 3k hands (probably run good) however I started to see 10NL for what it really is when our barrels were being called down by fishes with middle pair and this forced us to tighten up and think more about the pots we are trying to steal and the specific cards we were barrelling.

We are going to try and stick to the latest style of play and continue to get paid with our value hands, whilst escaping marginal situations on as early a street that is possible. Our 3bet% did drop from 8% to 6% which I am not entirely comfortable with (it did not feel like we were 3betting this little during the session), however i do not think this a concern as of yet, 6% is still reasonable especially along with the 17/13 stats we played. Again the difference between VPIP and PFR still needs working on, I believe I am calling a little too wide in the blinds and leaking money there, maybe we can 3bet more from the blinds and try to kill 3 birds with one stone - This will help our blind play, increase our red line, and increase our 3bet%!!! 3 potential problem areas that we can identify at the minute.

I did pick out some interesting hands however I'm currently running on no sleep and cannot find how to post without Villains table aliases - I really need to get upto scratch with using HM2, it's been a long time. Hopefully I can post some of these hands within my next post and we can analyse some of our bigger pots.

All of the above is of course just my opinion and how I am analysing the information in front of me, if any of you guys think I may be getting mislead then please please please throw your ideas at me, I am all for learning!! I could easily be misinterpreting this information and would love additional thoughts from you guys.

PS - Sorry for the huge wall of text! I just wanted to get my thoughts written down so we can work with them, I will try to keep it shorter in future :f_love: :f_love:
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      Hey good luck with your challenge :f_thumbsup:

*Do you stream ? If so let us the link for it.
      *You can Drag&Drop pics right here you dont need to upload them to Imageshack
      I do still work full time and lose at least 2 days of the week seeing my GF
      That is not a lose :P That is +EV in life :f_drink:
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      Hey man thank you!

Link for stream is http://www.twitch.tv/coorayeu - I wasn't sure if it was okay to post here so I aired on the side of caution. Thanks for the advice man that saves me some time, i'm new to this but feel that streaming/blogging will help with my motivation and also allow me to gain advice from fellow poker players :f_drink: I will get the hang of soon... I hope.

Haha yes maybe a bad choice of words from me, she is definitely +EV :f_love:
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze

Hello guys

Just finished playing today's session so wanted to make a quick post. Today we managed to come back from tilt which I am extremely happy about, usually when I go into button click mode it is very hard to come back from, I start to play terribly etc etc and cant quit the session. We had a bunch of hands in very quick succession where we didn't catch our strong equity in big pots, or where fishes played poorly and caught miracles etc etc. For a brief moment we started to try and play back at people and were taking the anger out on the raise button, which lead to losing a few more pots which was avoidable. I noticed this and decided to take a 5 minute break and inject some logic (maybe Mental game 1 has helped after all!!) - When we returned to the tables we went straight back to our A game as if it never happened :f_cool: I've not been able to return from my D/E game to my A game ever so this is very positive as I know tilt is almost the only thing that can ruin me here at NL10 Zoom tables.

As planned we managed to play the same 17/13 game mentioned in my previous post, I still need to work on flatting less preflop IMO, position and initiative are so important in these games, we need to be able to extract maximum value from these weak/floating/stationy type players, this is much harder without initiative or position.

Overall another great session, hopefully we can continue from last weeks run and soon move up to NL25! We also cleared our first 800 Starcoins at Gold status, woo!

Bankroll: $473
      Hands played: 26.3K
      WR: 10.4BB/100 hands

Below is one of the hands that lead to my tilt, as mentioned above... Playing OOP against weak players that call too much is difficult, if this guy wasn't calling so much or we have position then I feel we don't lose as much here. However with QQ on this board Vs a station I felt we would be missing value by not betting every street.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $20.07 (200.7 bb)
      BB: $13.44 (134.4 bb)
      UTG: $21.25 (212.5 bb)
      MP: $4.70 (47 bb)
      CO: $17.62 (176.2 bb)
      BTN: $24.37 (243.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Qd: :Qh:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.25, BTN folds, Hero raises to $1, BB folds, CO calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) :5c: :Jd: :Ts: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.21, CO calls $1.21

Turn: ($4.52) :5d: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.70, CO calls $2.70

River: ($9.92) :4d: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.47, CO calls $4.47

Results:
      $18.86 pot ($0.85 rake)
      Final Board: :5c: :Jd: :Ts: :5d: :4d:
      Hero showed :Qd: :Qh: and lost (-$9.38 net)
      CO showed :5s: :8s: and won $18.01 ($8.63 net)
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      As planned we managed to play the same 17/13 game mentioned in my previous post
      Wow that seems so nitty :D But if you get good result GL :f_thumbsup:

You played well the QQ hand, things like this just happens, you have to realize this is part of the game. Just take notes on them.
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      I thought this myself! I have tried to play this nitty in the past however I just couldn't do it, it was too boring. On the other hand these sessions were not so boring and I was surprised to see these stats so low. I feel that it does work at 10NL Zoom, people are so loose and you effectively win by default just by playing like this, I will not be able to continue like this as we move up though.

And ty in regards to the QQ hand, afterwards I felt maybe we were a little too aggressive and could have lost less, but OOP I do not like to check and give villain initiative, this way we maybe lose more when we are beat and win less when we are ahead.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      hi there and GL for your BR challenge from my side, too
      How often do you stream with your twitch? You can sign up to be shown directly on PokerStrategy.com as channel if you agree to a tiny ruleset:
      Your Featured Twitch Channels on PokerStrategy!

GL!
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      Thank you man, that sounds good. I will think about it.

Some serious tilt at the minute, it's like we can't win anymore, hitting no draws, villians hitting 3 outers over and over again for the past 3 sessions, they call 3bets + cbets with like AJo on QTx to our top set just to hit their straight after putting all their money in bad. Whenever we hit a strong hand we get horrible board run outs, I can't even remember the last time I hit a draw for the past few sessions, missing straight flush draws over and over again vs aggro fish that are shoving any river and we have to fold from having so much equity.

Lol @ losing 5BI in like 30 hands @ 4BI below EV

This hand was also within those 30 hands but not reflected in the EV line. So demotivating, I feel like withdrawing lol.... Tomorrow is another day. BR has took a big hit, NL25 seemed so close and now feels impossible.

SB: $19.73 (197.3 bb)
      BB: $13.48 (134.8 bb)
      UTG: $15.81 (158.1 bb)
      MP: $10.37 (103.7 bb)
      CO: $10.22 (102.2 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $10.33 (103.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with :3s: :3c:
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.25, CO folds, Hero calls $0.25, SB folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.80) :Ks: :3d: :Kd: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $0.57, BB calls $0.57, MP folds

Turn: ($1.94) :Th: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.30, BB raises to $3.80, Hero calls $2.50

River: ($9.54) :9h: (2 players)
      BB bets $8.86 and is all-in, Hero calls $5.71 and is all-in

Results:
      $20.96 pot ($0.94 rake)
      Final Board: :Ks: :3d: :Kd: :Th: :9h:
      BB showed :9s: :9d: and won $20.02 ($9.69 net)
      Hero showed :3s: :3c: and lost (-$10.33 net)

Rant over :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry:
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      good luck with your blog, twitch and the next step to NL25.

the stuff happening to you right now, just is going to happen over and over again.
      We gotta deal with it somehow :)

just don't think to much about it and let it effect your mood / game.
      sounds simple, is hard, i know :D
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      Thank you very much Habit! :f_biggrin: I know this too but as you say it is hard in the heat of the moment. Tilt is by far my biggest leak and my number 1 priority to fix.

I took a few days out to reflect after the other days run bad + whale tilt. I've decided to drop from 4 to 2 tables of Zoom, this is to reduce the chance of having muliple coolers at once and/or losing multiple big pots at once. I feel this is what lead us to tilt so bad before, we effectively through our game out of the window and started to try and play back at people/win our coolers back.

I played/streaming for around 8 hours today and managed to play 4k hands (2 tables is such less volume :f_frown: ) for +5BI. To be honest we did not run good today at all but still managed to keep out cool in the face of fish catching 2 outers. I want to set some standards in relation to tilt prevention, but also being able to get away from tilt when it's to late for prevention. I'm going to mull over this and hopefully post some ideas tomorrow (enough poker for one day).

Below is a hand that almost pushed me to tilt today (me also lost another BI at the exact same time on table 2 because somebody flatted AA pre and got set over set). However we took a small break and returned still playing our game.

Hero (SB): $32.36 (323.6 bb)
      BB: $11.55 (115.5 bb)
      UTG: $16.94 (169.4 bb)
      MP: $9.45 (94.5 bb)
      CO: $12.13 (121.3 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Ah: :Kc:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1, BB folds, BTN calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.10) :2h: :Kh: :4h: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.21, BTN raises to $3.20, Hero raises to $31.36 and is all-in, BTN calls $5.80 and is all-in

Turn: ($20.10) :3d: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($20.10) :Qs: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $20.10 pot ($0.90 rake)
      Final Board: :2h: :Kh: :4h: :3d: :Qs:
      Hero showed :Ah: :Kc: and lost (-$10 net)
      BTN showed :Qc: :Kd: and won $19.20 ($9.20 net)

Also Sven how do I opt in? :f_drink:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey amelioration,

You can opt in to the bankroll challenge at Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      If you found the holy grale to tilt prevention let me know! :)
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      Hey Laz

I meant the featured Twitch channels but I have done it now anyway. Thanks!

IKR Habit! I think it will be different for all different people but is important to try as many options as possible... something has to be effective... I hope
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      Weekly update before jumping into today's session!

-$49.47
      17k hands
      BR $366

So as mentioned before, this losing week is down to 1 reason and only 1 reason - Tilt. It sucks as we have now kinda ruined our hard work from week 1 with the 10BB Winrate, However I have now moved on and accepted that it was going to happen at some point, especially when putting in so much volume on Zoom tables - in order to learn from tilt we must experience it. It is now my job to make sure it does not happen to the same extent ever again. I accept that it will happen, hopefully not to this extent, however at this point we must remove ourselves from the tables.

Some things we can implement

I have dropped from 4 Zoom tables to 2 - This will reduce variance and allow us to remain more focused.
      3BI Stop Loss - Maybe 3 is too little? I see people using 5 mostly. However, all of my winning sessions start off winning. I feel that I start to slip from my A game when we are down. This is something to work on.
      Breaks + Logic Injection - Most of our sessions are 4+ hours long, breaks are essential to remain focused and retain our A game. We must identify when we are getting bored/frustrated and take a break. I feel a 20 minute break after 2 hours of play should also help. By reviewing a few hands before jumping back in we can remind ourselves of the fundamentals of our strategy.

No big bluffs and overfolding

This is more strategy based however I believe it can also help to prevent/reduce tilt. This pool of players have 2 huge and general leaks, They don't fold enough and they don't bluff enough.
      Our overall strategy is set to exploit this, by value betting wide, not running big bluffs and also folding in the face of aggression. How does this tie in with tilt?

Well when we decide to run a big bluff and shove the river, and villain calls us w/middle pair or TP weak kicker on a crazy board, this instantly affects our mood and ultimately our game when we are shouting at the screen "What an idiot how can you call there" :f_mad: . When in reality, we already know that villain can call there, that is why we play the strategy that we play at NL10.

The same goes for calling.. When we have a strong-ish hand and villain bets big at us every street, we reluctantly call the river and claim "how does he have it there" "what a cooler" etc etc. When again we know that villian has it there, because they do not bluff enough, and therefore their ranges are heavily weighed towards value hands. We do not make our money by calling down villians aggression, we make our money from being aggressive with our own holdings. Therefore next time villain is smashing the pot at us, just let it go, our hand strength is not entirely relevant when they have no bluffs in their range, no matter how weird the fishy lines may be - NL10 hands us so many amazing spots, to the point we do not have to take these marginal ones and "be suprised" when they turn over the nuts.

Below is quite a poorly played hand by us :f_eek: but a reminder of why we should not bluff these players.

SB: $14.87 (148.7 bb)
      BB: $27.42 (274.2 bb)
      UTG: $11.37 (113.7 bb)
      MP: $12.50 (125 bb)
      Hero (CO): $41.20 (412 bb)
      BTN: $10.15 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :2c: :Ac:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) :8c: :2h: :3s: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.45) :5s: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1, BB calls $1

River: ($3.45) :5c: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $3.30, BB calls $2.80

Results:
      $10.05 pot ($0.45 rake)
      Final Board: :8c: :2h: :3s: :5s: :5c:
      BB mucked :Ad: :Ts: and lost (-$5 net)
      Hero showed :2c: :Ac: and won $9.60 ($4.60 net)
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze

EDIT: HM2 tried to hide some of my hands, so actually up more than I thought :f_drink:

Really strange session today, quite card dead throughout and then when we did make hands they were second best or we got sucked out on. As frustrating as it was I somehow maintained composure and was able to continue playing while down without spewing everywhere, it probably helped that I wrote an essay about tilt just before hand :f_grin:

Quite relieved for it to be over and us somehow manage to be up, even though its 2BI below EV. Hopefully we can hit some hands tomorrow.

SB: $11.47 (114.7 bb)
      BB: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      UTG: $9.93 (99.3 bb)
      MP: $9.87 (98.7 bb)
      Hero (CO): $27.94 (279.4 bb)
      BTN: $12.55 (125.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :3s: :3d:
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, 2 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.65) :3c: :2h: :5h: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP bets $0.31, Hero raises to $1.05, BB folds, MP calls $0.74

Turn: ($2.75) :8c: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.80, MP raises to $4.92, Hero raises to $25.60, MP calls $3.70

River: ($19.99) :Th: (2 players)

Results:
      $19.99 pot ($0.90 rake)
      Final Board: :3c: :2h: :5h: :8c: :Th:
      MP showed :4d: :6d: and won $19.09 ($9.22 net)
      Hero showed :3s: :3d: and lost (-$9.87 net)
    • amelioration
      amelioration
      Bronze
      Less volume last week only around 10K hands as didn't play poker as much. Won around $170 though at 10NL bringing the bankroll to $544... Then I though i'd try NL 16 and put in 7 hours :f_o: Didn't feel like that long at all :f_zZz: :f_zZz:

Went quite well hopefully a few more winning sessions and we can try NL25, BR now at $620, I just don't like the swingy graph :f_cry: NL16 seems super nitty with a decent amount of fish. I'll analyse the session hopefully tomorrow and post some interesting hands