The story of a fish who became a shark...

• NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Pretty neat title isn't it? Allow me to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Kevin Monsieur, soon to be 23 years old and I recently discovered the amazing game of poker.

When it comes to experience and knowledge of the game, I have to tell you guys: I have none. That is why I'm making this blog to allow you all (I know you're plenty!) to be able to track my progress, if any, in this game.

What did I already do?

Started out the end of November 2008 on the ipoker network, by creating an account at titanpoker. Why I choose this site? On poker.com it was ranked number one. Pretty shortsighted? Agreed.

I decided to deposit a once-in-a-lifetime € 20 to that site, and start playing ubermicrolevels (NL2). I got a nice bonus from titan worth around € 16 so my starting br was € 37. As you can guess, the newbie in me was put behind bars and my ego took over. I have to admit, I was beating the NL2 pretty hard and won some euro's. That 'grinding' went good for some days, but then one night I lost 3 made hands in a row by amazing lucktards and I went on a tilt, the nightmare of every pokerplayer. Half decent players know that's the moment to stop playing, but I magically decided to win that money back in a NL10 headsup. Of course I lost, I lost bigtime, I lost 2 BI. I continued my bad streak and tilting behaviour and in as little as 2,3k hands, I lost my entire stack, with the exception of € 0,24, which is obviously too little to even play at those microstakes.

Now we take a little break of about five to six week and return on the 22nd of January 2009.

Then I came around this site, which offered a whooping $50 starting captial. The only thing I needed to do was to pass a stupid quiz. Atleast, that's what I thought it'd be. Of course I didn't take the time to read up and just took the quiz. I failed terribly.

On the second try it was bullseye and I choose partypoker to start my journey with. As little as 26 hours later I noticed my inbox had a message saying my bonus was deposited. I was thrilled and started playing right away.

I had an amazing first night where I won $19 in just over an hour. Then, an old habit kicked in. There was no doubt in my mind I could beat these beginnerstables to the moon and back again. Of course, as I know, I can't.

My bankroll stayed at around $50, but I was clearing the bonus, way faster than I'd expected. In the meanwhile I discovered Partypoker also had a site called Partybets. I tried some bets out and they paid off. Actually, it was better than paying off. I was redhot in my bets (they weren't guesses and I completely backed my bets with an analysis of the teams involved. I continued playing poker to clear those 300 partypoints quicker, but I was making money. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Little overview:

22nd January: Start of my 'career' - $50,01
      31st January: Red hot on partybets with a succesrate of 87% - $134
      3rd February: Too overconfident (again) - $35

Today is the day it struck me. If I ever want to become a winning player on the Partygaming network, I need to do a whole lot more than just show up and play. That is something I subconsciently (is this even right lol) always knew, but it never really struck me, until today.

I won't exclude the past 2,3k hands on titan and the 2k ish hands I already played on Partypoker in my graphs, that would be a bit lame.

What are my shortterm goals?

:spade: Clear the remainder of my bonus (130 partypoints remaining)
      :club: Rethink my strategy, read up a lot
      :heart: Continue to bet on Partybets, stick to the game I know the most about (basketball)
      :diamond: Learn to selfcontrol and never ever tilt again. Also, not letting a bad beat (of six in a row if you look at my past two days) get to me.

That was it for the little introduction part, I will try to update this as much as possibly, hopefully with some good news. I might be a fish, but there are plenty more fish in the sea!

Peace,

Kevin -NIVEKii- Monsieur
  • 17 replies
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      Welcome to the site and good luck :) .. Def take the time to make use of all the great perks and things there are to use on this site. Post hands, look at already posted hands, have general conversations meet some people, I believe it will help your game! I look forward to following your (hopefully :D ) success! Also you're already a + in my book for liking basketball (played since i was like 5) :D
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Monsieur Monsieur!

I'm dissapointed, youre no shark. :D

Welcome. Good luck with your blog. If you find people dont answer, just keep on posting anyway. Pokerblogs are trendy here at pokerstrategy.
      About rethinking your game, forget everything you think you know and read the articles. They are worth the read. :)

Are you really called Monsieur?

You know what it means right?

Monsieur Monsieur! :D
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dadude77
      Welcome to the site and good luck :) .. Def take the time to make use of all the great perks and things there are to use on this site. Post hands, look at already posted hands, have general conversations meet some people, I believe it will help your game! I look forward to following your (hopefully :D ) success! Also you're already a + in my book for liking basketball (played since i was like 5) :D

Thanks, hopefully this will be one hell of a trip, with a happy 'ending' ofcourse! And about the basketball, what other sport in the world is more intense than a good basketball match? I also played until I was 18, quit because of college and trying to make a comeback at 20. Yes, trying, I tore my achilles tendon of my left leg in two, couldn't walk for six months.

I noticed in your blog you were American by birth but live in Belgium now as a Belgian citizen. Where exactly do you live?
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vargan
      Monsieur Monsieur!

I'm dissapointed, youre no shark. :D

Welcome. Good luck with your blog. If you find people dont answer, just keep on posting anyway. Pokerblogs are trendy here at pokerstrategy.
      About rethinking your game, forget everything you think you know and read the articles. They are worth the read. :)

Are you really called Monsieur?

You know what it means right?

Monsieur Monsieur! :D
      I might not be a shark, but the title makes people click! And yes I know what Monsieur means ;) I could speak and write French before everyone else!
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      hahah i tore my ACL in about 4 pieces junior year in high school and had a reconstructive surgery gone wrong :P . Was in bed/wheelchair for about a month, but got back too it, I was still young :) , i'm hoping to play in America next year, although i'm just trying to get back in shape at the moment, too much beer and french fries at college here :D ...

I used to live right outside brussels, for the last 5 years, and now I'm in louvain la neuve. Why do you ask? Where are you from/live?
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      I'm Belgian too, living in Buggenhout, litterally 2 minutes away from Dendermonde, guess about everyone knows where that is by now.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Anyhows! Welcome to day one of my reformed plan to actually put an effort in this game to become a decent player. I must admit it felt pretty good to write that introduction as it gave me the opportunity to kind of write off my frustrations. I will call this day one of my second coming (actually it would be my third after my Titan adventure and first two weeks on Party, but a third coming just doesn't sound cheezy enough).

Pokerstatistics

Status on Day Zero

Bankroll: $35 - all time low

Total hands played in January: 2,033 (22/01 - 31/01)
      Winnings in January: $5,95

Total hands played in February: 210
      Winnings in February: $21,33

Total hands played: 2,243
      Winnings: $27,28

As you can see February started out brutal for me with losing an average of $0,10 per played hand! Apparently I tilted more than I imagined.

It's 19CET now, I'm going to give it one more try, single tabling 4NL, we'll see what it brings.

Status on Day One

Bankroll: $44,25 - I stuck to basketball for my bets and got an easy 2/2
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      ah ok, my dad used to work in mechlen, and I used to live in overijse right on the other side of brussels. I'm kind of in same boat as you :) , blew roll, starting in my mind a clean slate, seriously!.

I'm grinding NL2 on Ipoker.

Nl4? thats about 9 BI kinda risky no?
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      ah ok, my dad used to work in mechlen, and I used to live in overijse right on the other side of brussels. I'm kind of in same boat as you :) , blew roll, starting in my mind a clean slate, seriously!.

I'm grinding NL2 on Ipoker.

Nl4? thats about 9 BI kinda risky no?
      I meant the 0,02 / 0,04 tables :)

- 15 hands played, didn't get a single playable hand yet (small samplesize I know :p)
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      oh so limit?
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      No Limit

Went for a short one hour session on a single table, it went ok, I played well, concentrated. This session was exactly what I needed.

Status on Day One - 20.00 CET

Bankroll: $44,81

Total hands played: 54
      Total winnings: $0,56

Plus

:spade: I played very well
      :heart: I remained concentrated for the entire session
      :diamond: I was able to pull a marginal profit
      :club: I just wanted to include the clubs too :)

Minus

:spade: Single tabling
      :heart: one hour session is pretty long when you're struggling with your confidence
      :diamond: 54 hands is not representative for my winnings
      :club: come on, I couldn't leave out the club here could I?
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      so, you play NL4, so only 9 BI... BRM!! :)

edit, well i guess 11 now!
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      that these sort of stakes im not sure it matters too much
    • Triplexke
      Triplexke
      Bronze
      Just calling in to say hi, good luck to you, Zeebrugge calling ;)
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      so, you play NL4, so only 9 BI... BRM!! :)

edit, well i guess 11 now!
      Well, you're absolutely right, it is only 11 BI, but 4NL is the lowest I can go on Partypoker, so as Alex said, it doesn't matter that much since I can't go on a lower limit.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      So here we are, start of day two. I reorganised my betting and so far it seems to pay off. Made just one combo bet yesterday, but I won it, shipping a well deserved $12,59. Plan today is to play a one hour single table session again, just to stay in the game and not risking too much.

Status on Day Two - 13.40 CET

Bankroll before: $57,40 - Thank you Partybets.com!
      Bankroll after 94 hands: $54,19

Played an hour kind of perfect (for my being) but lost $3,21 on a stupid hand, I'm heads up, the rest left the table, I'm BB and got dealt 5 9. The SB checks and the flop brings 5 9 J. I push all in after his check and he calls me. He's holding J 9. I threw up a bit in my mouth, I'll tell you that!

All in all a decent session, too bad about that last hand, but that's poker I guess.

Status overview - all 23.00 CET

03/02/09 - $35 (change) (won bets/total bets) (hands played)
      04/03/09 - $44,25 (+$9,25) - 2/2 - 54
      05/02/09 - ??
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Smallish update, I've not been playing that much the last two days.

Today I played 4 $3 Sit & Go's (the first ever) and they went pretty well. I came third in the first one. I even won the second one! The last two didn't go that well, but I managed to get a $4,80 profit out of playing for an hour or so. Not bad at all.

Together with that I made some money with betting on the NBA, making my bankroll go to $70,23. Remember I'm coming from $35 just a week ago, so I'm not complaining.

I'm not clearing my Partypoints that quickly anymore, but I still have enough time to clear the final 110 points.