The Uncertain Journey --- My SNG Journey Begins 26/02/09

• MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      Hello Everyone,

First of all, I never in my life written any blog about anything. I am doing it because i think if i pen down myself about my own poker achievements or failures i think it helps me improve my own game and keep me motivated. Also suggestions and comments from you guys will definitely keep me alive in poker and also in "BLOG" :D .

I dont play poker for living, but for fun and satisfaction it gives when i am winning. I am 26 year old and i manage full time business so i might not need money so i wont be withdrawing it till it becomes irresistably huge BR.

Journey begins, January '09 is when i started playing poker for real money. After i lost $5 from poker stars given as complimentary on random selection basis, then i found Poker Room School, who gave me $50 in CDpoker. From poker stars to CD poker nothing changed in me with regard to skills, just that i was given more money and used it to upset myself little bit more. I fell so badly that i was down to $8 Approx single day. I felt so bad and was scared to loose the last $'s. I took a break for 3-4 days and was watching videos and reading some articles. I was re-energized and started grinding at NL20 and went up till $100 in day, and $600 in a 10 days and same old story acted like drunk monkey and lost everything in 2-3 days before realised, I thought may be because i was on tilt and not able accept the defeat. overall i was " Fish ".

I kept myself away from playing poker for 15 days. I found Poker strategy some time ago, In the mean while i was reading Harrington on Holdem (all volumes) and watching some reall micro stakes video's of NL10, NL20 at pokertrikz. Then i started out with poker strategy and gone through the articles for beginners. This is when i realised i lost all the money majorly for two reasons, 1. Very Bad Bank Roll mangement 2. I was "Fish".

let me take this paragraph to Thank Poker Strategy for doing such a good job. Now i feel i am in safe hands to achieve my goal's. Good Job guys.

I was given $50 on Jan 31st '09 by PS on Mansion Poker. I started taking poker has my studies. I have made it very systematic, I have made charts of Starting Hands, BRM, etc. They are all over my room. I always see them while i am playing. After this small change in my approach i see lot of difference in my game and my PT3 graph is little predictable, its slow moving but very promising. I sometimes break rules of PS with very little risk and it worked for me to gain more profit. I know in long term this isn't best idea. So i am working on tightening my game. Now i have completely stopped going on tilt.

[[COLOR=darkred]B]Mansion Poker[/B]

BankRoll = $50 Given by mansion on --31/01/09

NL10 Tables = 4 - 6
      Current Bankroll = $88.27 (04/02/09)

cheers.
  • 41 replies
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      Hello all,

So far so good, I am playing fairly tight. I am up by +$18. something to smile about :) ...

I think i have touched silver rank :) but it seems PS will take time to update.

Good thing i noticed is i am not going on tilt, though i have not experienced any big bad swing. Hope days are good ahead.

I am still not being very strict about starting hads, i some times raise with AQ's ,AJ's, KQs early and middle positions, TT early position and i only do it when the players ahead of me are tight and passive. Also i limp in with small pocket pairs if raise is not too much or by calling BB. I only invest if i make a SET otherwise i just fold to any bet. Though nothing bad has happened yet, so will try to tighten up more and follow strictly. I must tell you pocket pairs are very tempting... :D

Bankroll : $106 (04/02/09)
      Hands : 4200
      BB/100 : 6.16

Happy grinding guys....
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      Forgot to tell you, I earned my first $10 bonus from Mansion, so my bank roll goes up by another $10.
      I am still continuing playing that session, its very irresistable to close when so many good things are happening around me. :)

BR : $120.
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      I should have finished session and go to bed, i started playing crap hands, may be lack of sleep. I am down by -$6, not bad to my bank roll but it was unnecessary.

BR: $114

Happy grinding..
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze

Current BR : $110
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      For good news to start with, i was up by $20 today, which was at $128.

Bad news is that, i was defeated so badly today, that i am pushed back to $102. My flush was defeated by quad, i was thinking of starting NL20 by now and now back to NL10. I feel so sick now..i think if i sit down today will probably go bankrupt, so will probably take a break..

Mistakes i did today

1. I sat with $5 in NL10 table, made it till $20 and i didn't get up from table, which deserves to be punished.
      2. I am not still strict abot starting cards.

Current Bankroll = $102
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      I am crawling back now, after long intense poker session yesterday with 5 tabling NL10, it was difficult and confusing as i never 5 tabled before. I dropping down with some mistakes but eventually i back on $120 mark.

I rectified the mistakes i did last time. I was leaving tables once i reached +$5 on every table.. so that i will never loose large amount of money at single hand...

BR = $120 :P
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Hey MaHnaK

Sounds like you are doing well now... keep it up... I know that you have challenges up ahead, but you have a good attitude towards learning....

If you can follow one piece of advice from me... when the poker gets frustrating... stop and do some learning.... it's easier to make your losses back tomorrow... trust me on this one...
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      Yes i have made up my mind on this one. I have stopped going on tilt, i am doing some learning as well. I wont play when i feel sick about defeat. I would like to see my self one day where you are currently :) .
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      Very frustrating day, Not because of loosing, but i get Top pairs 10-15 times and i couldn't get much out of it. I raise and everyone folds all the time and i really felt so sick, felt as if everyone are able to see my cards.. :(

Not much to tell about my game, it was long stagnant day....
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Well yeah you get days like that...like days when I get AA in the BB and everyone folds to me with HIGH blinds... but my motto is, you gotta roll with the punches... if being successflu was easy, everyone would do it... all these challenges separate the weak from the strong...

Put it behind you and set your focus again!

gl
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      VPIP : 15.01
      PFR : 5.42
      W$WSF : 40.84
      AF : 1.30
      AFq : 34.11
      3BET : 1.14
      Fold 3B : 77.13
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      I had $10 bonus released thrice, so that doesn't show in graph and includng that current BR --- $128
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK from my experience and when I was at this level all I wanted was for my bankroll to grow.... it took me like 5 weeks to get it past $100 from my starting capital....

What you need to do is to stop thinking about how big your roll is... what you will experience is standard variance up and downswings, heaters and coolers etc etc... your main focus should be to find and eliminate as many mistakes as you can.... the best way to do this is to post hands... post as many as you can...

Post hands that you think you played badly
      Post hands that you think you played well (to see if you could have played better)
      Post hands where you lost a big pot (to see if you could have avoided it or if it was standard variance)

If you post 30 hands of each scenario I guarantee you that you're understanding and skill level will grow, and ultimately your bankroll too...

So take this challenge... when you hit the tables, try and aim to 1st find the 30 hands you played well... note then and post them... the other 2 scenarios will follow...
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Nice to see another microlimit blog! Do you play full ring or shorthanded? GL!
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      For now only full ring.
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      iPoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (9 handed) - iPoker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

BB ($4)
      UTG ($16.64)
      UTG+1 ($2.40)
      MP1 ($5.40)
      MP2 ($18.50)
      MP3 ($15.15)
      Hero (CO) ($5.05)
      Button ($6.58)
      SB ($12.84)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, J
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.30) 8, Q, A (2 players)
      BB bets $1.30, Hero folds

Total pot: $1.30 | Rake: $0.06

Results:
      BB didn't show
      Outcome: BB won $2.54
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      what do you think, i played it badly, was it more of defensive play? The bet came swiftly and i didn't have any stats of the villans, later felt may be he had some medium pair and he was representing top pair, what do you feel guys how i could have played otherwise?
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I think folding here is no big mistake... Ax, Qx, PPs etc are a big part of his calling range so with 2 overcards that's no problem...

Are you posting you hands in the evaluation forum as well where the pro hand judges can evaluate them as well? that is the ultimate info gold mine..