BR Challenge $300 -> $1500

• kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze
      MOTTO: STICK TO THE PLAN AND DON'T LOOK AT CASHIER.

Starting bankroll:

Pokerstars: $131.97
      PartyPoker: $171.22

Game: only 6max ZOOM / 6max FastForward 2-3 tables depends on how I feel.

Volume: TBD I don't want to force myself to play x hands for the day, I will try to play only if I feel I want to, I also have "normal job" so I guess the time I can spend on poker will vary. I will just stick to the plan below.

other software I'm using: Starshelper, Partycaption, to change $ into BB, position table, auto bet sizes

My goal is to build bankroll for NL25 on both sites, I will be playing mostly NL10 and maybe sometimes NL5 for warmup. To accomplish the challenge I will try to:

[*] not looking at my bankroll or graph during week, I will check it only on Sundays to make a weekly report here.
      [*] spend more time for learning, I mean reviewing hands before and after session, watching coaching videos, watching twitch, working in HM2, reading poker mindset etc. I even made some spreadsheet in excel for this, but I'm only human and I assume I won't be able to follow it 100% of time.
      [*] spend less of my time for playing
      [*] stop calling reraises on river lol
      [*] mark hand for review during session
      [*] embrace mistakes, allow myself to make them, analyze them and learn from them
      [*] prepare for the worst, hope for the best, so worst case scenario is that I will busto, or will be breakeven forever, but I think my plan is pretty good so it will be just a matter of time to finish the challenge, we will see. I also already spend some money for coaching with Kris Rukov so I think I will be good. Also I have some extra money aside, so I can always buy more coaching or if I busto I can start again.

About me:
      27 years old, I've been playing for some time, but never make it serious, I love playing computer games, especially Dark Souls series, maybe if I finish this challange I will buy myself PS4 to play Bloodborne, that would be cool. Other than that I'm into quantum psychics and things that explains how reality works, spirituality, human behavior and other shit. Anyways wish me good luck I'm starting now!
  • 13 replies
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      GL in your challenge
      I will be very curious to see how you describe the difference in gameplay on the different rooms!

CU,SvenBe
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Gold
      Sounds like a solid plan! Good luck with the challenge! :s_biggrin:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello kr1s1un,

Nice start to your blog and I look forward to reading future posts and good luck in reaching your goals :f_thumbsup:

Subbed

Regards

Matt
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      good luck with your challenge!
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze
      Week 1

hands played: 9589
      profit: -$17.13
      BR: $286.06

Challenge Progress

Not much to say, I didn't check cashier through the week, and it helped me to focus on decisions not the results :) , I think I got around $20 this week from rakeback, also I expect to get some extra cash from party $100K Cash Game Card Rush promo. For those who are curious I can show you my graph from this week:

The hardest thing is learning for me, I watched few videos this week, but there is so much to learn, and applying new things in my game takes time, I think good strategy will be to make notes while watching coaching videos, which I wasn't doing because I was too lazy xD . Today is Sunday, so I will go through the HM2, check opponents, and maybe post the most crazy hands on the forum. I'm also planning to read some poker mindset stuff.

The plan for the next week is to stick to the plan ;) , I think I played more time than I spend for learning so I need to work on that.

--------------------------------------------------------

@SvenBe you asked how I see the difference in game play on different sites, so I can do a quick comparison. In past I used to play speed poker NL10/NL20 on William Hill Ipoker network, also I have small experience with 888 snap, so let's talk about it.

Software:
      Pokerstars - so far the best software, best looking, no issues with HM2. Note making and color coding in software are very good.

PartyPoker - party poker is pretty good alternative, you can customize the look with PartyCaption, or 3rd party themes. Sometimes it's little laggy, and last time there were some issues with HM2 after party did update, usually after they do update you need to wait for HM2 staff to release an HM2 update. So this can be annoying. There is no color coding, you can make notes, but it's not efficient for me. The replayer is laggy, and if you want to see what hand villain had you need to go to HM2 because they won't show you in their replayer.

William Hill (Ipoker) - nice looking software, but there are serious issues with HM2, HUD isn't working when you play more than 1 speed table, HUD is jumping, weird things happen. Color coding works fine, I think I had some issues with note making. Overall the best software for notemaking is HM2.

888 - The HUD isn't working on snap! It was hard to switch from PS to 888, 888 software works good, but looks ugly. for me it's little confusing to navigate through their menus. I think you need to click a lot to make a note or color code.

Player Pool on NL10 ZOOM/FF/SPEED/SNAP:
      Pokerstars: morning 300-400 evening 700-800, it's huge and this can be a problem, because if there are so many players you need to play a lot to gather some stats and make use of them, or you can find some friends and exchange database with them but I think that's illegal. I think this player pool is somewhat agressive compared to others. Because of cardmatch promo, they can 3B with any two high cards, and if you don't have stats this can be a problem, possible solution is to check the player's country or how many tables he play and try to make basic assumptions. Other solution is to play morning session :) . I think notemaking is crucial to success in this playerpool.

Party Poker: mornings sometimes can be dead, sometimes there are only 15-30 players, evenings 70-120, the best hour to print money is 11PM CET, this player pool is pretty passive/ nitty and you can build up quickly database, so for me it's the best place to play right now.

William Hill: NL10 is pretty much dead the most players are on Nl5 and NL20, but if they make promotion or mission that require NL10 to accomplish this can playerpool is from my experience the most profitable, they are very passive. In my last 10k hands on WH I had 15BB/100, maybe not a big sample but you can make money here for sure.

888: TBH I don't have big experience here with NL10 players, so I won't tell you. :) .

Promotions
      Pokerstars: cardmatch is pretty sweet, because it attracts fishes to cash tables, and its always nice to get extra rage dollar :)
      Party Poker: very nice promotions/bonuses, right now they have The $100KCashGameCardRush and I'm in top 30 so expect to get extra $75-100 cash today from this promo.
      William Hill: I don't now the current status, but in last months they had some easy missions like win a hand with QQ on NL10 to qualify to 1000 euro shootout, and I've won from one shootout 100 euro, so it was good.
      888 Poker: for me the the worst promos, they give you tickets to tournaments you can't find, I think I never get from them cash directly.

Rake?
      I did some calculations in January, not many hands but you get the idea:

Rakeback?
      I think I have the best rakeback deal on PP, on Pokerstars starcoins are cool, on WH it's pretty hard to get rakeback, on 888 idk.

I hope you guys are not bored, anyways wish me good luck with the challange ;) .
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze
      Week 2

hands played: 5610
      profit: $204.59
      BR: $490.65

Challenge Progress

Pokerstars: $220.10
      PartyPoker: $270.55

Good/Bad week, from $ perspective very good, check out how much I've made only from promotions!

• $100 from taking high place in Party Poker $100KCashGameCardRush

• $25 from completing party poker mission in software
      • $2 I've completed other mission and won 5 x $1.1 sit and go tickets, then I tried to played them but I only cashed 1 out of 5.
      • $10 from starcoins
      • $1 cardmatch
      • $10 from party poker bonus, I've made party account in the end of december, and I have bonus that is giving me 25% more rakeback, bad thing is that this is valid only till the end of April, but I hope to get few bucks more from it.

I didn't had mental power this week to play, but yesterday I had more time and I was running well, made $46.40 from single session (2k hands). This is graph from whole week.

Malfunctioning Mind

Sometimes I make notes after the session, and I've noticed that my mind goes blank in big pots, it's like when it's 3B pot, and there is like 100BB already in the pot, some shit happens, and I make bad moves. Luckily I've been reading Mental Game of Poker and I find out the cause of it.
      I'm not 100% sure if I can post this but let's try :D

Malfunctioning Mind
      There is one basic brain function that is not well-known by poker players, or even by the general public. Failing to understand it directly impacts your attempts to control and fix emotional problems. First, here’s a little background information to help you understand how the brain works. The brain is organized in a hierarchy. The first level is where all of the most important functions of the brain are stored, such as heart rate, breathing, balance, and sleep/wake cycles. Unconscious Competence is also there. The second level of the brain is the emotional system, and the third is the mental level containing all of the higher brain functions, such as thinking, planning, perception, awareness, organization, and emotional control. Here’s the rule: When the emotional system becomes overactive, it shuts down higher brain functions. Translation: If your emotions are too high, you make poor poker decisions because the brain prevents you from being able to think straight. The following also happens:

[*] Your mind goes blank.
      [*] You miss key pieces of the hand.
      [*] You overweight the importance of some information, or fixate on irrelevant information.
      [*] You know the right answer, but it’s as if your head is in a fog.
      [*] You fall back into bad habits.

Unfortunately, when emotions are overactive, the loss of higher brain functions is something that no one controls. It’s a hardwired part of our brain that isn’t going to change. Many of you know it as the “fight or flight response,” and your mind is essentially malfunctioning as if it were a computer short-circuiting.

I would like to be a robot, but the reality is that I'm only human with human emotions. I need to work on this, reading books about mindset helps. It all comes to the point on how much I'm aware of myself (I mean how much I'm aware of mistakes I make) generally most of the time humans run on autopilot, so sometimes it's more complex.

Anyways wish me good luck and see you next time. :)
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze

Week 3

hands played: 8953
      profit: -$50.59
      BR: $440.06

Challenge Progress

Pokerstars: $145.64
      PartyPoker: $294.42

$ from bonuses:

$0.5 cardmatch
      $1 golden button challange
      $1 golden button challange
      $0.5 golden button challange
      $1 card rush card
      $1 card rush card
      $1 card rush card
      $1 promo freeroll pokerstars
      $1 promo freeroll pokerstars
      $5 additional rakeback for March partypoker
      ---------
      TOTAL: $14

Graph:

You know there is a new promotion on Pokerstars, when you need to win with Ax? When they put out new promo, there are always some gameplan changes, in this case I think players becomes more calling station postflop, many players started to calling any Ax preflop, and some regs started to cold calling AK,AQ. I wasn't pretty much prepared for that from the beginning.

This resulted in some bad plays from my side -> bad plays resulted in some form of tilt, therefore I knew I was doing something wrong so I had to make some adjustments. I always ask myself how much stacks will it take for me to learn the basics! Other thing is like I said before NL10 zoom has big playerpool and its pretty hard to get many hands on them, but if they are mostly calling station because of that promo then when I have something then I should bet big or even overbet, and ofc no bluffs without reads, but you probably already know that :D . I also watched some videos about how to play against specific player types, so I'm pretty much happy with my learning process, and this resulted in my graph going up at the end of the week and I think I better understand my opponents.

I also noticed that I have some fear based problems, if the things go wrong (example: lost 5 buyins in single session) I want to play more (revenge tilt?), if the things goes well (won 5 buyins) my motivation for playing drops. This shouldn't make any diferrence, I need to work on that so I will push myself to continue reading Mental Game of Poker.

Thanks for reading and wish me good luck next week ;)

Biggest win:

BTN: $10.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 18, 3B: 4, AF: 0.8, Hands: 131
      SB: $10.94 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 18, 3B: 5, AF: 2.2, Hands: 336
      Hero (BB): $10.35
      UTG: $11.07 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 15, 3B: 4, AF: 1.7, Hands: 52
      MP: $10.00 - VPIP: 25, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 3.2, Hands: 189
      CO: $10.00 - VPIP: 36, PFR: 24, 3B: 14, AF: 2.4, Hands: 58

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with K :diamond: K :club:
      1 fold, MP raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, SB calls $0.25, Hero raises to $2.25, MP calls $1.95, 1 fold, BTN calls $1.95, 1 fold

Flop: ($7.35) 9 :spade: K :heart: J :club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $2.30, MP calls $2.30, BTN raises to $7.75, Hero raises to $8.10, MP calls $5.45 all in

Turn: ($30.60) 7 :diamond: (3 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($30.60) A :diamond: (3 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $30.60
      BTN mucks Q :spade: K :spade:
      Hero shows K :diamond: K :club:
      MP mucks J :diamond: J :heart:
      Hero wins $29.60
      (Rake: $1.00)

Biggest lost

Hero (BTN): $17.25
      SB: $17.78 - VPIP: 40, PFR: 34, 3B: 20, AF: 5.5, Hands: 35
      BB: $25.50 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 20, 3B: 11, AF: 2.8, Hands: 752
      UTG: $17.17 - VPIP: 32, PFR: 24, 3B: 5, AF: 1.9, Hands: 438
      MP: $12.14 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 18, 3B: 11, AF: 1.3, Hands: 34
      CO: $9.52 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 0.3, Hands: 43

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with K :heart: A :heart:
      UTG raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.90, 2 folds, UTG raises to $2.40, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.95) 5 :diamond: 2 :club: 6 :heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.55, Hero calls $1.55

Turn: ($8.05) K :club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $3.00, Hero calls $3

River: ($14.05) 4 :club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $10.22, Hero calls $10.22

Final Pot: $34.49
      Hero shows K :heart: A :heart:
      UTG shows A :club: 3 :club:
      UTG wins $33.49
      (Rake: $1.00)

• smoothazeros
      smoothazeros
      Bronze
      Hope you have a better week 4 dude

Happy Easter!
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze
      Week 4

hands played: 9185
      profit: -$69.53
      BR: $370.53

Challenge Progress

That week wasn't so good, but showed me things that I need to work on, which I think are more on the mental side. For example, because of Easter I went for a party with friends, and because they called the same day, I decided to play my poker session sooner than usual, and I had to play this because I was participating in party poker promotion. I'm not used to playing in the middle of the day so that resulted in bad plays because I was thinking about hot girls instead of playing poker. Next thing is that we were drinking so the day after I was feeling bad, but I had to play because of that promo on party poker. Also I had one day when I was too tired from the job, and I should let it go and not play. Overall I won like $20 from party poker promo, and lost way more because playing when tired/sick/rushed.

So I also plan to expand my warm up sequence, I will start from asking myself simple questions: am I feeling good? am I ready to play? what are my goals? you know very basic things, and ffs I will not play if I feel bad / or in bad mood. Beside of many others standard warm up things that I'm doing I will also start from playing 20 min on 1 table for warmup. Wish me good luck next week ;)
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze

Redline looks pretty good this week, don't you think?

Week 5

hands played: 4507
      profit: +$46.17 (including starcoins and other shit)
      BR: $416.70

Challenge Progress

I've applied my plan to not to play when 100% ready, and I'm pretty happy about results. If you start fresh and you play A game from beginning then if something bad happen then its less likely that you will tilt. I use this (link) before session and I think its quite good. Glass of water before session also helps to focus better.

Also I want to mention that last week I've discovered that human is not design to multitask and multitasking cause brain damage.

Why Multitasking Is Bad for Your Brain

Have you ever felt that you get less done when you multitask? You’re not imagining things. In fact, Larry Kim, founder and chief technology officer of Boston-based online marketing company Wordstream, points out in an article for Observer that you’re actually hurting your brain by juggling several undertakings at once.

Since we aren’t wired to focus on more than one thing at a time, cramming multiple tasks onto your to-do list will actually slow down your cognitive processing. You’re unable to organize your thoughts or filter out unnecessary information. As a result, your efficiency plummets—and so does the quality of your work. In fact, one study at the University of London revealed that subjects who multitasked while performing brain-intensive tasks demonstrated IQ drops similar to people who are sleep-deprived or smoke marijuana. Still not convinced? Multitasking is also linked to increased cortisol production, a stress hormone that leaves us feeling tired when we need energy to concentrate [PDF].

Once we start multitasking, it’s hard to stop. Each time we complete a small task—sending an email, tweeting, etc.—our brains are blasted with a dose of the reward hormone dopamine. It feels good, which means we’re likely to keep bouncing back and forth between tiny, unimportant goals without getting anything major done. And even if we’ve set aside time to delve into a time-consuming project, the mere knowledge of a new email or text lurking in our inboxes can keep us distracted. According to some research, this constant anticipation can actually lower our IQ by as much as 10 points.

One study from the University of Sussex in the UK indicates that forms of multitasking can cause cognitive damage, Kim warns. MRI scans showed that subjects who consumed multiple media forms at once had less brain density in the anterior cingulate cortex, the region associated with empathy and emotional control. Scientists still haven't concluded whether or not multitasking is permanently harming our brains. However, there's overwhelming evidence that it harms our lives.

How can we break this insidious cycle and form new habits? “Protect yourself from the multitasking mental massacre by establishing an e-mail checking schedule,” Kim advises. “Commit yourself to checking emails only three times a day (maybe when you get in to work in the morning, at lunch time, and before leaving work at the end of the day). Turn off texting notifications and choose specific times to check your phone as well.” This way, you can buckle down and focus on the things that really matter.

Other thing is that I saw an ad on facebook about gamer's nutrition, maybe it's worth a try https://cfxnutrition.com/?lang=en I'm not doing any sports, so I need to compensate that with something lol.

See you next week :) .
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze
      Week 6

hands played: 4046
      profit: -$10.32 (+~$3 from cardmatch?)
      BR: $406.38

I don't know how its possible but HM2 shows that I actually won something
      EDIT: I had filters set wrong.

I tried to play NL2 some day in the morning and that wasn't good idea :D these guys absolutely crushed me

The reason because this week was so fv3k3d up is this:

I bought this game on Wednesday and I spend 28 hours to "finish it" hahaha, for me it's the best game of 2017 so far. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes video games, it looks like some fucking Japanese hack and slash game but it's way more than this, it's hard to explain, you need to play it to know what I'm talking about.
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze
      Week 7

hands played: 4921
      loss: -$40.88
      BR: $365.5

Week 8

hands played: 6185
      profit: +$123.60
      BR: $489.10

Hello boys and girls, last two weeks was hard, pokerstars had no mercy for me, look for yourself:

but on the other side party poker loves me:

I had to change my points for hero spin and go tickets, overall I've got 4 $20 tickets and won 2 of them, its way easier to win $20 sng than to play regularly Nl10. because mostly I had only green guys on my tables. To tell you the truth I'm more concerned when I lose $5 on my regular session than when I win $80 in 5 min. I hope you know what I mean.

If it comes to my game development I spend some time reviewing my database and I found out that I'm cold calling too much, from all positions, so I reworked my whole preflop gameplay based on last ~50k hands. It is a leak that is hard to spot because I was losing many small pots and that accumulated you know what I mean. Anyways I hope to see results of my work soon!

Another thing is that I was playing only pokerstars last two weeks, the reason for this is that I want to learn to crush zoom, party poker NL10 fast forward compared to zoom is pretty easy. But now when party poker offers new rakeback system its kinda attractive to me to play back there... we will see, wish me good luck.
    • kr1s1un
      kr1s1un
      Bronze
      Week 9

hands played: 7013
      profit: +$51.54
      BR: $540.64

Week 10

hands played: 4950
      profit: +$36.52
      BR: $577.16

Week 11

hands played: 1875
      profit: +$12.56
      BR: $589.72

Sorry guys for not writing anything, but tbh there is not much to say. I discovered that on audiable.com you can get free trial and get 2 audiobooks for free, so ofc I use it to get mental game of poker 1&2, which helped me a lot!!!. I think reading these books are crucial to success because mindset has huge impact on the game and you get blueprint on how to work with your game. Aside from that, last time I didn't had much time to spend on poker because I want to change my regular job, to get nicer apartment so playing poker will be more comfortable. From my current perspective I see that success in poker can be achieved easily, you just need to 2 things : that mindset stuff that I've mentioned, and grind. Just by doing database review and checking PFR ranges/ opening ranges / 3b ranges you can adjust to the current stakes and room, but you need to grind a lot to get nice hands sample. thanks for reading, see you next time ;)