This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Why I dislike 3bettting KQ

• Purity
      Purity
      Bronze
      General hands that flatcall 3 bets in blinds vs LP are AJ+/occasional JJ/TT and premium hands to trap us QQ+

KQ beats big part of bu/cu openingsranges, I just dislike the situation if we get called. Aren't we putting ourselves in a negative implied odds spot were if we get called we either have villain crushed or otherway around.

Seems to me I'm more inclined to lose a big pot/my stack in a 3bet pot with KQ and win a small one.

I'm just making this topic because I posted a hand once were I coldcalled with KQs on bigblind were button open-raised. People/judge thoughts were it was too weak to just coldcall KQs vs button open-raiser.
      I hadn't put much thought to it back then since it seemed fairly ok to assume that it was better to 3bet KQ.
      However I'm convinced now of the opposite. I much rather 3bet sc,lowsuitedaces,small pp and coldcall KQ. This way I don't get myself in a negative implied odds situation if I 3bet and with coldcalling KQ I don't fold out the entire range were I can get value off.
  • 3 replies
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      I think it depends what you thik about your oppenent.
      For me in a FR micro stake and no reads It s afold.
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      And even if he is loose your are dominated by AQ AK KK AA QQ. But i guess in this spot you should three bet with anything if don t give credit your opponent for a good hand.
      But it takes ome corones....
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      It depends on the opponent and your skill level. Is your opponent folding a lot to 3bets? --> 3bet it
      Do you feel uncomfortable playing OOP --> 3bet it

If the answer to both is no, flatting becomes a valid option. Actually calling is the action with the highest EV in a vacuum. If you can handle difficult situations you are free to call from time to time.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar