Beating the Stakes - From NL5 to the top

• bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

Hi. My name is Bruno, I´m Playing at pokerstars.pt as bfcardoso123 and I´m a member of portuguese pokerstretagy. I'll make a little presentation of myself.

First of all my english is not perfect so if a tell you some mistake please correct me to improve my English.
      I´m leaving in Portugal (pokerstars.pt duuh :f_biggrin: ), I´m 25 Years old and right now i´m unemployed (so a lot of time for poker:f_drink: ).

I used to play hyper sattelites SNG 6max and MTT SNG on pokerstars.eu before the market had benn closed in Portugal and right now I´m playing 6max cash games.

Now i´ll make a litlle summary of my results this year. They are not great right now. From the bottom:

NL2

NL5

NL10

NL25

I know that Red Line it´s the money won W/O showdown, the blue line it´s money won at Showdown and the yellow line it´s the AllIn-EV. But my doubt is (and if someone understand about graphics please explaine me) what they does mean with my style of play. Am I playing too tigh, too loose or neither? I kown that we can´t see the results on short term but I just wish to understand what i´m doing wrong and why the Green Line it´s so stable starting from NL5.

The samples, comparing the different stakes are very different and i don´t know how big needs to be the sample to make some conclusion (100K hands). Therefore i´ll make a challenge to myself from the bottom. I´ll play 200K hands at NL2 and with profit i´ll buy a new Monitor to play. If i could make it this mouth, even bettet. I´ll use a very very very conservative bankroll management (250BI) because I´ll play 24 tables at the same time. I kown my winrate will be lower but I never did this befor (that´s why it´s a challenge:f_drink: ) I commit myself too to make a update every saturday with the week's results.

Good run of cards for everyone.
  • 28 replies
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

First week of my mini challenge to play 200K hands of NL2 is finished. The results were not as expected but we can´t control it right?

NL2

grinding this much was interesting. I played 24 tabling all week. Altough i can control tilt in a much better way (+tables = - less time to see the bad beats :P ) i missed too many spots (fold AA and KK preflop and sets on the flop) As I wasn´t liking what i was doing i change the thing a little bit.

i decided to play 12 tabling of NL5

NL5

So for now on i'll play 12 tabling of NL5 until i reach the 200K hands mark.

I know that´s a personal thing and we don´t have to compare it but, what is a reasonable winrate for this stake?

Good run of cards for everyone :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • luchoprat
      luchoprat
      Bronze
      It means you play abc
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      hey.
      good luck with ur 200k hands tasks :)
      good winrates hm.
      if u play 24 tables 5bb/100 are reasonable good on NL5
      if you play less your winrate should go up.
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

I focus more this week on study than playing. I´m reading the book "Small Stakes No-Limit Holdem"(Miller, Mehta, Flynn). it´s only in the beginning but seems very interesting. Someone who have already read it tell me an opinion about the book?

About grinding, i reduced the number of tables to 12 as i had told and join some tables of NL2.

NL2 - Week

NL5 - Week

April

the bigger volume of NL2 is because the low number of tables with recreational players during the time i played.
      this week i´ll try increase the number of hours of play.

A great Easter to everyone :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luchoprat
      It means you play abc
      I´m working on it:f_thumbsup:
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BadHabit1989
      hey.
      good winrates hm.
      thank you for the support :f_biggrin:
      5bb in 24 tables??? I´m nowhere near at this level:f_frown: :f_mad:
    • kr0daking
      kr0daking
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bfcardoso
      hey.
      good winrates hm.
      no way mediocre player makes 5bb/100 on 24 tables IMO.
      3bb/100 would be a good result for around 100k hands.
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kr0daking
      Originally posted by bfcardoso
      hey.
      good winrates hm.
      no way mediocre player makes 5bb/100 on 24 tables IMO.
      3bb/100 would be a good result for around 100k hands.
      even then in pokerstars.pt i think it´s almost impossible 3bb/100 as a mediocre player :f_biggrin:
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      what is a mediocore player?
      do you guys really think 5bb/100 is not possible in the micros? o.O
    • kr0daking
      kr0daking
      Bronze
      what is a mediocore player?
      do you guys really think 5bb/100 is not possible in the micros? o.O
      Playing 24 tables yes , 'cuz esentially for each table added you are dropping a little bit of edge I believe.
      If you didn't have that much of an edge to begin with it would be really difficult to sustain that win rate over a decent sample size.
      Playing up to 6 tables I believe sustaining 5bb/100 is not that difficult even for a mediocre player - since i've done it over 100k sample and i'm not exactly the definition of good poker player :f_biggrin:
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

Since I did not update what happened last week I do a monthly update.

NL2

It started a bit bad in NL2 with the first 30,000 hands below EV but then the thing straightened up there :f_biggrin:

NL5

I ended up above EV but I know I can do a little more at this level. I still do not like the way I play in NL5.

NL10

I played a little on NL10. It went well but the sample is very small so there are no big conclusions

May goals

Beat NL5

Reach Gold Star

Finish the book Small Stakes No-Limit Holdem

Win the challenge Crush Micro Stakes

Complete the Challenge 6-pack Abs (because a person cannot be fat on the beach :mdr: :mdr: :mdr: )

And it was all through April. :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

May

May was very interesting. Why? I don't achieved the majority of may goals but was a good mouth moneywise
      :f_biggrin:

Starting with the goals:

Beat NL5
      I was running reasonably well until Zoom started on pokerstars.pt and i decided to grind a little bit so this goal was delayed

Reach Gold Star
      With zoom, become easier to reach goldstar, so this goal was achieved easily

Finish the book Small Stakes No-Limit Holdem
      i don't even started where i left the last time. youtube videos are much more updated then books. So from now on i'll see more videos than reading books.

Win the challenge Crush Micro Stakes
      The challenge was canceled due to lack of minimum number of registrations. So my victory was postponed without a scheduled date xD xD xD

Complete the Challenge 6-pack Abs (because a person cannot be fat on the beach :mdr: :mdr: :mdr:

Complete with distinction and praise:mdr: but that last day...:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Graphics like everyone likes :D :D
      May
      It was an interesting month moneywise. I changed a little the way I play and you can see from the graph at what time it happened

June Goals

As pokerstars' statutes system will change and to achieve platinum it takes a number of hours that I am still not willing to do, I decided to sign up for the Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge to keep me motivated to grind, so pokerwise the goal of June will only be this. I will start with a bankroll of 600 € and reach to 3000 €. Obviously I will not be able to do this during the month of June, so this is going to be a goal for several months. 3 at most would be ideal xD xD xD

Exercises and Masses

As the bathing season is coming I decided to also talk a little bit about what I'm going to do in terms of exercise to not be just and only about poker. Here I will talk about my goals in terms of % bodt fat, muscle and other items related to body assessment. I'm not going to talk about anything scientifically, even because I'm not the right person for it, but my experiences.
      At this moment the situation is like this.

Curent/Goal
      Height: 1.70 m/1.70 m
      Weight:73.3 Kg/73.3 Kg
      BMI: 25.3/25.3
      Abdominal Perimeter (AP): 86.5/86.5
      Hip Perimeter (HP): 100/100
      % Body Fat (% BF): 20%/15%
      %/KG Muscle mass(%/KG MM): 39.4 %/KG/45%/KG
      TBW (Body water rate): 57.9%/65%

i don't know if MM Is in percentage or in kilos I have yet to find out :transpire: :transpire: :transpire:

Sorry for the huge post but as I did not update weekly I had to say everything at once: sorry: With the bankroll challenge I have to update weekly, so expect weekly posts. xD

And it was all through May:nh: :nh:
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      nice month! im going to write my recap later today aswell but mine wasnt half as good as yours :D
      good luck with both your goals, poker and bodybuilding wise :)
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi there and also welcome from my side to our BR challenge!
      A nice colorful blog you have!
      I'd however not center the full text, as it makes it sometimes difficult reading in the next line.
      Funny that you already reached your height goal!
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

Week 1

Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge

I did not play the number of hands I expected. Thursday I had a normal day for my standards (6/7 hours), but Friday I did not have time to play, Saturday I also went out with friends and Sunday I did not have the best conditions to play. Although I did well on Sunday, I decided not to take any more risks.
      Pokerwise the 1st week goes like this:

Week 1

Hands: 5769
      Results: 47,30€
      BR: 649,93€
      Goal: 3.000€

week 1

(if someone knows how to post an image here directly instead of a link i apreciate the help because it makes the blog a little bit more beautiful i think :f_biggrin: )

Trying to put more volume next week :profit: :profit: :profit:

Exercises and Masses

In this moment the situation is like this

I removed some itens because it was becoming a bit confusing. But if you want to know some item, just ask because I have everything pointed out xD xD xD

Now/Goal
      % BF: 21.9%/15%
      %MM: 39.1 %/45%
      TBW : 57.9%/65%

Either the weighing-machine is damaged (I look like a woman :P :sorry: women) or it was because of ONE day of go out with friends that changed the values. Anyway 3 days is not enough to take conclusive data so at the end of this week I will be better.

And it was all through week 1 :nh: :nh:
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze
      nice month! im going to write my recap later today aswell but mine wasnt half as good as yours :D
      good luck with both your goals, poker and bodybuilding wise :)
      Variance is a bitch xD
      I saw your blog and i liked it very much. The visuals is something else (In Portugal this means it is very good don't get me wrong :) )
      :gl:

Originally posted by SvenBe
      Hi there and also welcome from my side to our BR challenge!
      A nice colorful blog you have!
      I'd however not center the full text, as it makes it sometimes difficult reading in the next line.
      Funny that you already reached your height goal!
      I chaged the text to normal. Thanks for the feedback i appreciate. :f_drink: :f_drink: I forgot to explain it but i removed anyway. The blue means that doesn't have a goal :D
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

Week 2

This week I managed to do more hours but the results were not so good

Week 2

Hands: 20.034
      Results: 58.01€
      BR: 719.25€

Week 2

(if someone knows how to post an image here directly instead of a link i apreciate the help because it makes the blog a little bit more beautiful i think :f_biggrin: )

the differences between profit and BR has to do with the bonuses of cardhunt and the button challenge (i think it´s call like this) are added automatically in BR.

Exercises and Masses

This week i improve the results a little bit. I started to be more careful with the food too

Last week/This week/Goal
      % BF: 21.9%/21.3%/15%
      %MM: 39.1 %/39.8 %/45%
      %TBW: 57.9%/58.4%/65%

As in poker what matters is the long term. Pasito a Pasito we go there xD xD xD

And it was all through week 2 :nh: :nh:
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Nice progress sir :f_thumbsup:

You can post images by putting the link between img tags like this (without the space):

[ img]LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]

Or you can press ctrl+p while in the text area and paste the link there :)
    • bfcardoso
      bfcardoso
      Bronze

Week 3

This week was very weak in volume. I get tired from work so i've no modd to play at all. I think it's better not to play when you aren't in good conditions to play than to force volume

Week 3

Hands: 6.968
      Profit: 55.47€
      BR: 780.04€

Exercises and Masses

Once again i didn't exercise much because i get tired from work.

%BF - Goal: 15%

%MM - Goal: 45%

%TBW - Goal: 65%

I'm really not surprise with this results beacause i didn't do much the all week... Não estou surpreendido com estes resultados tendo em conta o que fiz a semana inteira...We're going to have to improve.

And it was all through week 3 :nh: :nh: