Going after 888

• bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      Going after 888

Bevor anybody thinks I want to take 888 down, this is not the case. I am just starting a new challenge, details of which are further below.

First some infos on myself:
      I am what I would call an ambitious recreational player. I am working full-time, so poker is something for evenings, weekends or breaks in between. Overall I play 5-7k hands per week. I play live as often as I can, which means, whenever I am near a poker room in the US, I go there. I do not like the German poker rooms, because they are only full of regs and local sharks, and games become interesting only way above my bankroll.

Main problem: I am lazy, and not really willing to invest significantly more time in studying than I do now. Still, I am ready to work smarter and might actually reduce volume to free up time for studying.

Main poker problem (besides all the other micro stakes player have): I have a hard time reacting correctly to aggression. In particular I am not good in throwing hands away, when obvious draws hit, when my two pair get counterfeited, or I just run into an obviously better hand.

So, therefore, I started to get coaching from w34z3l, which I am enjoying a lot so far. My game is already improving, mainly by getting a better feeling about how the arrive at the right decision in certains spots.

What are my goals? Long term, I would like to beat or at least be break-even at stakes where money means something. Currently am barely beating NL5, had been steadily playing NL10, but that is history.

Until then I am starting a challenge to reach 888 $ at 888 poker. My current bankroll at 888 is 70 $, and the challenge is restricted to 888 and includes rakeback, and whatever goodies 888 is throwing my way.

The plan is to post at least 5 hands per week, if I fail 10$ are added to the goal-line, unless I have a good excuse, accepted by whoever reads this.

So here we go:

Week 0:

Bankroll: 70 USD (Goal 888.00 USD)
  • 12 replies
    • luchoprat
      luchoprat
      Bronze
      are you going to play nl5?
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      that is where I will start
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      Great way to start my challenge. All was running according to plan until Saturday. Then I ran 8BI below EV and started tilting. Stopped the bleeding by dropping to NL2, but this is no fun.
      At this point I am quite convinced that its all mental. It is hard to find definitive proof, but my feeling (which could be wrong) tells me, that the longer the session lasts and the more tables I play (mostly 2-4), the more likely I am to get into auto-playing mode, clicking buttons and calling off raises without much thinking. I do not have Database proof for that, but that’s how I feel.

If I look at the hands I have been posting, this also shows that I have most trouble facing aggression.

Week 1:
      Hands: 6340
      Bankroll 33 USD (goal 888 USD)
      Profit: -37 USD
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      Second week in the books. I am actually pretty proud of myself. My downswing from the week before continued, same as running bad. Almost to the point that my bankroll was almost gone.

However, this time I did not tilt.

I reduced the number of tables to 2.
      I played shorter sessions.
      I started overfolding to aggression in spots where I would usually call. Indeed the number of biog hands lost was reduced as compared to other weeks.
      I played more attention to villain and avoided bluffing in borderline spots when it was a recreational.
      Still had some phase of poor play, multi-tabling + watching telly + drinking

I was able to get to where I started with my bankroll at the beginning of the week.
      I played some MTT for distraction, which reduce my winning a little, but not much.

Week 2:

Hands: 7980 (NL5)
      Profit: +5.74 USD
      Bankroll: 38.74 USD (Goal 888 USD)
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      Pretty weird week. I had the feeling that I played quite well. By Friday I was almost back to where I had started 2 weeks ago. By Sunday night I was back down, and even lower. With a couple of exceptions I did not have the sense that it was going the wrong way.
      That's the way perception is. I will try to dig into this weeks data to see if I find something. In particular analyse the difference between the upswing and the downswing. Maybe it is just variance, but maybe not.

I cashed in a couple of freerolls, which makes the bankroll look better than just from cash gaming

Week 3
      Hands: 6137
      Profit: -0.15 USD
      Bankroll: 38.59 USD (Goal 888 USD)
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      A good week overall. Made only a handful of my typical poker errors of calling with mediocre hands when facing sudden aggression. The first half of the week was really good, I could do no wrong. The second half felt very weird. It was like I cannot do anything right. I had the feeling that I actually played quite solid, but it was just going downwards. Maybe it was just variance?

Weekly graph

Week 4
      Hands: 5793
      Profit: 11.24 USD
      Bankroll: 49.83 USD (Goal 888 USD)
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      I am actually only a rec player, playing for fun ~ 2 hours a day, sometimes less, on the weekends more. I am taking the game quite seriously, saying, that I try< to improve, take coaching etc.
      As a matter of fact my game is getting better, can tell this by many stats (although they are still very far from good), my ranges now vs. 2 years ago, the plays which I can make or not (which include some fold in the right spots)..... I have several huge leaks (like making calls in the wrong spots), but this year I had the feeling it is coming together.

However, currently, to be exact the last couple of months, the game is just becoming f...ing ridiculous. It is like dumping money down the toilet. Over all sites I had been playing I am about 80 BI's below EV. As much as I attempt to inject logic and be content with playing well, I am totally losing it. Of course I eventually make bad plays, get tilted and start spewing. But I have also become quite good to break out of such sessions and stop the bleeding. But when it feels like every single session starts by giving 2BI's away due to suckouts, and the occasional set over set, then the fun just stops. Just see my graph below for this week.

It is like running a 5 mile race and having to run 2 miles first to catch up with the field. Grinding from behind is draining and frustrating. I realize that trying to systematically build a bankroll while continuously improving is a challenge which is beyond my mental capability. I do not care about the cash, but I do not want to give it away either. Of course I will not jump into NL100 without beating NL25 first. Couple of years ago I was steadily winning NL10 and failing at NL20, but I could alway go back to NL10 to rebuild. Right now I probly cannot even beat NL2 (although I did not try, as I refuse to humiliate myself or pay the huge rake).

So most likely this is the end of it.

• metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello bigdog63,

Just discovered your blog here :f_thumbsup:

Sorry to read that you have not had a good time with poker lately. Have you thought maybe coming back and trying another format? I found when I made my way to NL25 and back down again to NL5 feeling pretty defeated and looked at $45 man SnG & Spins instead.
      With limited time as a rec player this may be a good option for you and possible less frustrating?

Looking forward to reading future posts :f_drink:

My regards

Matt
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      Thanks monkey.
      I thought about spin n gos, but they are surely not my game. If I cannot handle variance with cash, how could I with those.
      Then Id rather play low buy MTTs and play only on weekends where I have more time, or vacation.
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      After successfully venting last week, I quickly returned to the game of course. However, I try to find ways to improve my game by applying mechanisms which suit my character, habits and time budget.

One thing I noticed during my coaching sessions with w34z3l was, that I am not really articulate when talking about poker. This is not only a language issue, but more of a thinking issue. I really do not formulate my thoughts appropriately during play, which is actually equal to = not thinking deeply during play.

Secondly, I play too fast, often mechanically, especially when cards are bad and there is not much going on. I also often disregard opponent stack, type etc. which for example results in bad plays, like bluffing a fish.

Last but not least, I love the game and play for fun.

So, as a remedy for my shortcoming and to increase the fun factor I decided to start streaming my game.
      The idea is to start streaming at least once per week. I will start with 45 Min and see how it goes. So far it was a lot of fun setting up my twitch channel etc.

The first session will be tonight at 19:30 CEST, which will the premiere without any specific goal in mind other than just trying to make everything else work.
      Afterwords, I plan to set a session goal for my game and stick with it during the stream.

Hopefully I can say hello to at least one viewer tonight - so see u later fishes :)
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Gold
      I will watch one of your sessions when I'm available! Always nice to see another NL5 grinder, might learn something! :)
    • bigdog63
      bigdog63
      Gold
      thanks. Last night did not really work. I do not know why, probly because I used a slow twitch server?

will work on it and reschedule the next session