Bad to move into SH right away?

• PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Dumbish question... is it bad for me to start playing FLSH right away without ever playing FLFR. I just don't like FR games. I've already started playing SH.10/.20 and I havnt really had any major problems I've read most articles on SH and the one on standard playing lines against one oppenent and other than that I watched all the SH videos in the silver section. This seemed to be enough for me as I feel I have a good enough knowledge for a good FLSH foundation. Will I be at a disadvantage by not starting at FR?
  • 3 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey mate.

Downside of jumping straight into SH are that because you play way more hands than at FR, you find yourself in marginal situations more often. This means a higher degree of variance (higher +ve, higher -ve). If your game isn't of a reasonable competent standard then you open yourself to even higher swings.

If you study hard, observe solid BRM and are prepared for some decent variance then you can do fine at this... personally, I think my time playing FR was really beneficial to my game, but each of us are different. Also, I'm sticking as closely as I can to recommendations from PS.com and only diverting from it with really solid reasons (eg I mixed limits to ease myself into a new limit playing both FR $.25/$.50 tables and FR $.50/$1 at the same time).

A couple of points:

- If you do go the SH route, stick strictly to the 500BB bank roll requirements for each level... in fact to start with more than this may be adviseable.

- If it is the speed of the FR games that bugs you, an option is just to multi-table more. At my peak I was playing 8 - 10 FR tables at $.10/$.20 and around 6-8 at $.25/$.50, which kept me reasonably focused on the games and less focused on surfing the interweb.

- I have found it really useful reading through other FL blogs as a way of "experiencing" the swings you can go through without the pain... so when I hit the same problems I'm not so surprised. Search a few out as they're all pretty good reading.

Hope this gives some pointers... and I'm sure all the stuff I've missed will be picked up by the dudes who actually know what they're talking about! ;)

Good luck!
    • zubrils2
      zubrils2
      Bronze
      I completely agree to the last post but also I want to add that u should watch our really good SH videos to be at least prepaired to loosen up ur range from late positions.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I completely agree with Waiboy too.
      FR teaches you patient, self-discipline, BRM and dealing with (down)swings.

So for me, FR is a must. I'd say FR till 0.5/1 and when you beat this limit, you can go to SH.

And all in all... PS.com teaches first FR and then SH... I think they have reason for that. They know a thing or two about poker :)