Restart after centuries

• DocMuellfreak
      DocMuellfreak
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I am 33 years old and live in Germany at the moment. I played poker for some years back in the big poker boom bubble phase around 2006-2009. I started with FL, moved to NL SSS and then to NL BSS, all at FR tables. I played up to NL200 SSS and NL100 BSS and if I can trust my posts in 2+2 forums I also played SH. I just cannnot remember. Must have been during some weeks partying on Mallorca or something.

After about 7 years without playing poker seriously, I decided to return to the tables in February this month. I started with 50$ and NL2 FR. My first goal was to reach 50.000 hands at NL2 FR with a win rate of about 3 - 5bb / 100. At the moment I am about to finish this challenge as there are only 7.000 hands or something left. After finishing this goal, I am going to try playing some SH games. Let's see how far I get.

I also have a German blog, but as it is necessary to blog in English for the Bankroll Challenge, I started this one, too. I hope you don't mind my English, but it was not needed for years, so it is a bit - let's say - rusted. Is that an English saying as well? I don't know.

I will post a short weekly update and some words about the week here, but my main blog will stay the German one.

What ist my starting point?
      Bankroll: 141,75$
      Goal: 1.000$

So let's give it a try. Feel free to ask any question you are interested in. Maybe I will be able to answer them.

With this in mind... until recently
      The Doc
  • 14 replies
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Rusty :D good luck will follow your English thread do you also have a link to your German thread? And what will you do apart from playing SH? Will you switch to 5NL with 30BI?
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Originally posted by FlyingDutchm1n
      Rusty :D
      This :f_biggrin:

And you're English is great, wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

Pretty sweet winrate so far. Looking forward to seeing how the switch to 6max will treat you, gl :)
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello Doc,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Regards

Matt
    • DocMuellfreak
      DocMuellfreak
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FlyingDutchm1n
      Rusty :D good luck will follow your English thread do you also have a link to your German thread? And what will you do apart from playing SH? Will you switch to 5NL with 30BI?
      My German thread can be found here: German Blog

What do you mean by "apart from playing SH"?

I won't switch to 5NL. I will start playing 2NL again. This is because SH is completely new to me, as far as I remember. So I will make multiple mistakes in the beginning. In my opinion it is best to do these mistakes on the lower limit. As soon as I feel prepared, I will move up to 5NL. As long as my bankroll will be 30+ BI.

Originally posted by TinoLaan
      And you're English is great, wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

Pretty sweet winrate so far. Looking forward to seeing how the switch to 6max will treat you, gl :)
      Thanks for the compliment on my English.
      My winrate is pretty swingy. Some days I have a winrate of -15bb/100, some days it is +40bb/100. Overall I have a winrate of +4bb/100 or something. We will see, if I can preserve this performance and transfer it to SH. Would be nice.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Good luck with your new start and improving your game again :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Howdy Doc from another fellow German,

don't worry so much about your winrate on very short samples. Of course on one day, if you play 500 hands, a won or lost stack in a preflop Allin KK vs AA will make a huge difference. If you win this extra hand, your winrate by getting another 100BB will improve by 20BB/100 - clearly this is not an indicator for good/bad play, is it?
      We just need to take the average over a very long samplesize.

GL in the BR challenge & ship it soon!
    • DocMuellfreak
      DocMuellfreak
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

another weekly update of my game. I did not play any hands at all in the first half of the week, but I generated some hands this weekend.
      I accomplished my own challenge to play 50.000 hands 2NL FR and I did ok, I think. My winrate was 6.26bb / 100, which is pretty solid, I think.
      In the next weeks I will play 2NL SH to get a feeling of how this game works. My goal is another 50.000 hands, which should be played until the end of June or July. We will see. I do not build up any pressure by setting a deadline. It is a game just for fun.
      Here are my graphs for this week and the 50.000 hands 2NL FR.

This week:

50.000 hands on 2NL FR:

I hope, you get back and stay in. When I’ve got some more time in the future, I will extend my posts just like I do in my German blog. I think it will last until the end of May or something as I finished work for my bachelor thesis and start working full time from May, 2nd. I don’t know how much time it will take to write my thesis in the evenings, so until then, I will only write some short updates.

The Doc
    • DocMuellfreak
      DocMuellfreak
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

another weekly update of my game.
      What should I say? I changed from FR to SH this week and it started kind of nice. Was up 11.5 stacks within 3,600 hands (still 4.5 stacks less then adjusted EV) and then dropped back to about 6 stacks up after almost 6,000 hands. Everyone seems to hit the river. I don’t know, what was wrong. It just felt like everybody thought: „Oh, I’ve got pocket 22 and the flop is ATQ. Let’s call it Hero’s straight. Turn comes Q, River comes 2 and that’s it“. Most of the time it worked out well for those guys. Well after all, I am still up and my win rate is still double digit. I know 6,000 hands is not a sample size, but it is kind of showing the way it can go.

This week:

Let’s get back to the tables. I don’t know how much I will play this week because of some appointments I made for this week, but let’s see.

• SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I think you are biased by the showdowns you are seeing. You get to the showdown and he had 33 instead of 22. If he herocalls you say "wtf,stupid guy,thx for the stack". if you bet and he folds you will say "ah,another time not getting paid...".
      Important is to look at the frequency of the events. If they fold 95% of the time on the river and call 5% with the rivered nuts, you make profit by getting to the river. (but in that case you should check-call to bluffcatch)
    • DocMuellfreak
      DocMuellfreak
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

another weekly update of my game.
      It is getting better. At least I think so. But I have a question that flies around in my head for two weeks now. Everyone is saying: „Don’t worry about variance. If you are the one making the correct decisions and your opponent makes mistakes, you will gain money in the long run.“ But what about this?

I have a set on the flop and I am playing against quite a weired player. I bet pot size on flop, turn and river. He calls flop and turn and raises the river because he hit his gutshot. I call because he played this way against other players with top pair multiple times. He turns his straight and I lose a stack. No problem so far, because in the long run we will win money from this player. Now there comes the difficult part, that makes me doubt this statement. In the next hand he open raises 2bb, a regular raises, he pushes 200bb, the regular calls 200bb and shows AA. Our weird player turns around 87o, looses, calls us assholes and nazis and some other nice greetings, stands up, leaves the table and is gone forever. I doubt, I will see him again in the huge player pool of NL2. My money is in the stack of a regular and that makes it a lot tougher to win it back.
      Whatever. This week was quite break even. Again my AI-EV was about about 500bb. That means I am about 1,000 bb behind my expected value. Time to turn the tables, I think.

This week:

Let’s get back to the tables. I don’t know how much I will play this week because of some appointments I made for this week, but let’s see.

The Doc
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      I doubt, I will see him again in the huge player pool of NL2. My money is in the stack of a regular and that makes it a lot tougher to win it back.
      It's not about where your money is now or who you lost it to in the first place. It's about the combined EV of every single move you make that matters. So losing one hand where you made a +EV decision for that player to then leave the table doesn't matter. Once you've lost your money it's no longer yours and you should stop worrying about it. In fact, you will hardly ever run into exactly the same situation twice. Yet you still make the plays with which you expect to make the most money in the long run. This is because EV is all that matters.

Say you roll a die for $1. You get $10 if you get it right and you lose your $1 if you don't, but you play the game only once. The EV of this game is $0.83. But if you lose, which happens 5 out of 6 times you've lost a buck, are running below EV and have no chance of getting your money back. Do you still think it was a bad idea to play the game? What if you played 1000 different games all with an EV of $0.83 where you win some and lose some? Some games you'll regret playing because you lose, others you'll be happy about because you won. In the long run though, you'll make a profit of $0.83 per game you play so you should be happy about every single game you played, because you know they're all +EV.

The same applies to every poker hand you play. Doesn't matter if you win or lose a specific hand, as long as the play you made was +EV you should be happy and just move on to the next hand.

Long story short, the EV of your move doesn't suddenly become 0 or negative just because the guy left. You made the right play and if you continue to make the right plays, you'll make money in the long run :)
    • DocMuellfreak
      DocMuellfreak
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

it’s me again. You won’t get rid of me. Well, at least not this week. Let’s see how it is next week.

Due to an enormous load of work and social activities this last week, I did not play poker as much as I would like to. I only generated about 10 millions of hands. Ok, it were a single thousands of hands, exactly 1,264. Just like I said. I had no time.

And it won’t get better, as I have to work pretty much this week and also the next one. I will have to work at least 10 hours per day to get all the things done before I go on vacation for some days. I don’t think I will play that much during that time as I still want to spend some time with my wife, my daughter and my best friend. And on vacation I would like to spend my time with my wife and my daughter, too. They don’t see me that much these days. And then there is my second passion besides poker, when I have some time. Playing golf. So I will spend some hours playing golf instead of playing poker the next 3 weeks.

The Doc
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      He there, no worries for your absence and thx for the update.
      GL and enjoy your upcoming vacations!
    • DocMuellfreak
      DocMuellfreak
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

Another update for this past week.
      Well, I played a lot... not. Just like I thought before. Actually I managed to play exactly 1,745 hands. I mean that's what? About 90 minutes of poker or something. I guess this is not a sign of dedication to playing. But I feel pretty good with my game. It still is, like it was before. I am slightly winning. My EV tells me, I am still pretty unlucky with the boards, getting it in as a the big dog. But at the end of the day, I am slightly up.
      There are some bonus coming on top, so I manage to be up about 3 stacks in just 1,800 hands, which is pretty nice I think.

Graph:

The Doc