Anti Virus

• dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      I have mac, but recently got boot camp and have been running windows XP as well, for poker. Dont have any antivirus for mac, but I'm guessing I should get some for windows. Any suggestions of a good free one to use?
  • 11 replies
    • pumpkinx
      pumpkinx
      Bronze
      AVG but i dont know if they make it for mac
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I use XP and use AntiVir as Free AntiVirus although $20 for a premium doesnt hurt me

The Free AntiVirus programs are AVG, Avast! and AntiVir

But I wrote a commentary about effective programs in my blog:
      Gerv's Galaxy in February : SSS NL100
    • Balanarm
      Balanarm
      Bronze
      I;m using BitDefender Total Security 2009, very pleased with it.
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      I add a vote for AVG.
      I will also add a note not to rely on windows built in firewall - it is worse than useless.
      Install a third party one. Get it running and then disble the windows one.
      I cannot reccomend one as with firewalls it really depends on what level of interaction you want with it, how many and what type of network applications you use, how many network connections you have and how you configure them.

ZoneAlarm is a good ok basic one.
      There are some good free ones. Google is your friend.
      D.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I vote for NOD32 and not sure either if they make it for mac :P but I guess they do.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      I use Comodo Internet Security.

I previously used Comodo Personal Firewall, and it was the best free firewall I could find (since Sygate became paid). I used Avast! for antivirus and later on AntiVir, but when I saw that Comodo had rolled an antivirus program into their firewall, I couldn't help myself.

I find CIS to be the most nag-free, easy to use free Firewall/AV program around.
    • maks0n
      maks0n
      Bronze
      using ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. Which has built in Kaspersky antivirus, antispyware and firewall :) I'm damn satisfied with it :D
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      Zonealarm also, and you can download Zonealarm Firewall free so if you dont want to buy the complete security package at least you get the best Firewall on the market free.
      For antivirus, Antivir or AVG (both free) are excellent though I would go for Antivir simply because when it runs a scan you know roughly how long it will take via the progression bar.
      If you do decide to buy, you cant beat Zonealarm security suite, imo.
    • maks0n
      maks0n
      Bronze
      thepiratebay rox :D 65k day licence :rolleyes: :P
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      beside the fact i work for AVG ;) i would recommend you to AVG.

the free version just rox for a basic protection against viruses.
    • NBASuns
      NBASuns
      Bronze
      When I first got onto the net in 2005, I didn't use any antivirus. Then one day my computer stoped working properly. When I did a virus scan for the first time in years. AVG found over 9000 threats e.g. trojan horses etc.. (yes over 9000!)