Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes

• FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Hi Guys decided after many years of just chillin and hanging around to start a blog that I will be updating occasionally. I almost only play PLO cash, it is the game I am most passionate about and the odd times that I do play NLHE (with like an affilate MTT or something) I am always wishing for 2 more cards :D Decided to name my blog after a famous quote from one of my favorite movies, the Godfather, and the scene can be seen here (spoiler alert for people that haven't seen the movie of course):

There it meant one thing, but in my case I used it to embody my latest realisation that I just wanna play with the fishies and that all this non-stop head-butting with people who don't make big mistakes in PLO has to come to an end as no big mistakes means no big money to be made (could have thought of that myself of course, but thanks to PokerStrategy's Kyyberi for saying it oud loud during his videos). The reason I didn't come up with it myself I guess is that my approach was just all wrong, and of course in that sense poker is a bit of a special beast. In other sports it is like "I want to beat the best and measure myself with the best" but in poker, you also want to have a good winrate, which is greatly enhanced by playing people who are not the best at all. So i found some middle road here, I am always trying to improve myself, and with that also comes a new mental approach that instead of saying oh that fish called me with that how idiotic, I just keep the normative judgements out of it these days and just take note, he calls with middle pair no draw on 9TJ twotone or something andmove on. So a more detached approach and I can say it has served me well. I only play nanostakes like 5PLO and 10PLO but I enjoy it and I do it only when I am in the mood to play, so no heavy grinding here. I would describe myself as a very serious recreational player who loves numbers, that works a lot with ProPokerTools, Excel and just enjoys coming up with new theories, strategies and other ways of beating the game. So like I said mostly PLO cash, the odd PLO spin&go (I don't enjoy them however, in the end when it becomes a shove-fest just hoping the 52-48 holds up but it takes some of the very profitable postflop PLO skills that I pride myself on having away) and sometimes a PLO-variety MTT such as a 5cardPLO MTT. Improving my thoughtprocess throughout the hands and improving my thinking in ranges capabilities is what I am continuously working on and enjoy the most about this game (like deductive reasoning). I do not have a set goal or bankroll-goal as of now but might add it later. Will probably be a plo cash challenge though where I try to climb up the ranks with a bankroll within my actual bankroll.

Ok guys thanks for reading until next time

Edit: Bankroll target

So I thought about my personal bankroll challenge, and since I will play cash, spin&go and MTT PLO I will just call it the:

Omaha Challenge.

Will start with $150 playing 5plo cash, $1 plo spins and $1-$2.20 PLO (including 5cardplo/courchevel) MTTs. At $300 I will move up to 10plo, $3 plo spins, and throw some $3-$5 MTTs in the mix.

It will exclude winnings from NLHE or other formats, but I will include winnings from rakeback or from the pokerstars challenges window as long as it pertains to plo.
  • 22 replies
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      :gl:
      Originally posted by FlyingDutchm1n
      the odd PLO spin&go (I don't enjoy them however, in the end when it becomes a shove-fest just hoping the 52-48 holds up but it takes some of the very profitable postflop PLO skills that I pride myself on having away)
      A more correct statement would be that the postflop skills tuned to 100 bb 6-max games aren't fit for 20 bb 2-3-max scenarios. Learning to play postflop in the latter case (not to fold too often but also not to overplay rubbish hands like flopped middle pairs) requires a lot of PokerJuice study hours for various flop textures. I once tried to do this for Natural8's 4 bb all-in-or-fold games (where the flop is opened prior to the round of betting so the flop is seen with 100% ranges and bizarre low 2-pair hands are frequent), which were decently profitable until the GG network increased the rake by 1.5 times there (from 4 to 6 bb/100 :f_eek: , half of that amount going into the royal flush jackpot that hits once in around 20K hands).

I agree that PLO cash games are yet more profitable than PLO spins, though. The latter might die out quite fast because the regs will have ROIs of only a few %.
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Hey Tony! Yeah of course you are absolutely right, let me rephrase then about the plo spins that my skillset from 100bb cash is of course not suitable for spins but I have already adapted, still when it gets HU and blinds get hi, and you get 9372r or equivalent few hands in a row vs opponent that raises everyhand or blind at least, I think that is tough for me I don't fully know how to deal with it. But tighter in the beginning + controlled aggression later on seems to be what I would do. I still have a positive ROI in the 25 spins I played (lol sample size), but as a recreational player, I would say it needs to be fun what I am doing first and foremost, and yeah they're somehow not as much fun as cash games. Still thinking of a good bankroll goal I have to edit it into my first post later, for this 50cent ~ get rich or die trying type thing :D My new grinding music belongs to a game that I never played myself actually, don't have a PS4 and my laptop cannot run it either unfortuntaly, but this pirate themed music with sea shanties and stuff is just totally addictive! It is very uplifting and exciting and beautiful somewhat nostalgic/romantic and you can almost feel the salty seawind in your face when you are listening to it! Here is one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FXgEbaNCfA

Will be watching you on the 26th!
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Originally posted by FlyingDutchm1n
      Will be watching you on the 26th!
      I can only dedicate about 15 minutes to PLO spins (at 3 tables + the replayer), though.

Are you OK with attending the coaching for 15-20 minutes from 21:00 till 21:20 CEST, or would you prefer a later time window?
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Hey no don't worry I'm going to watch regardless of plo spins but still interested in your take on them of course. But yeah beginning 20 mins sounds good!
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Ok so nothing special going on, just one big hand I setmined with bad QQ. Good thing about the situation was that it was the BB who was doing the preflop raising, and then became the shorty. This was of massive importance to make the call because now I knew we would get like a 35bb flop pot with a guaranteed shove by BB on any flop. So if I would hit I could get it in easily. I did hit, but only had a meager 51% equity stacking off vs straight+flushdraw. Good to have won it nonetheless, too bad top getting it in with top set was a cointoss.

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 94.2 BB
      BB: 21.2 BB (VPIP: 80.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      UTG: 92.6 BB (VPIP: 54.55, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)
      UTG+1: 102.6 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      MP: 105.4 BB (VPIP: 89.11, PFR: 3.96, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 101)
      MP+1: 212 BB (VPIP: 81.43, PFR: 2.86, 3Bet Preflop: 3.33, Hands: 72)
      CO: 144 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      BTN: 98.6 BB (VPIP: 42.11, PFR: 2.45, 3Bet Preflop: 1.29, Hands: 5,243)

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 4:diamond: Q:diamond: J:heart: Q:heart:

UTG calls 1 BB, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, MP calls 1 BB, MP+1 calls 1 BB, fold, BTN calls 1 BB, Hero calls 0.6 BB, BB raises to 8 BB, fold, UTG+1 calls 7 BB, fold, MP+1 calls 7 BB, fold, Hero calls 7 BB

Flop: (35 BB, 4 players) 6:spade: Q:spade: 3:diamond:
      Hero checks, BB bets 13.2 BB and is all-in, UTG+1 raises to 74.6 BB, fold, Hero raises to 86.2 BB and is all-in, UTG+1 calls 11.6 BB

Turn: (220.6 BB, 3 players) 8:spade:

River: (220.6 BB, 3 players) 3:heart:

BB shows T:spade: 5:heart: J:diamond: A:diamond: (One Pair, Threes)

Main Pot [74.6 BB]: (Pre 26%, Flop 8%, Turn 0%)

UTG+1 shows 2:spade: 5:spade: 6:club: 4:club: (Flush, Queen High)

Main Pot [74.6 BB]: (Pre 38%, Flop 49%, Turn 75%)
      Side Pot#1 [146 BB]: (Pre 44%, Flop 49%, Turn 75%)

Hero shows 4:diamond: Q:diamond: J:heart: Q:heart: (Full House, Queens full of Threes)

Main Pot [74.6 BB]: (Pre 36%, Flop 43%, Turn 25%)
      Side Pot#1 [146 BB]: (Pre 56%, Flop 51%, Turn 25%)

Hero wins 206.2 BB
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Short update: Not going to well with the challenge. Allthe big pots seem to not go my way and the small ones just cannot compete with this. Sickest hand of the day was flopping top set on T67r then turning a 7. Pot is 4way one guy keeps betting pot I keep calling. I have TTQx. River is a Q. I shove my last 50bb in the pot, one guy had whatever, the other a lower set with 66 and the last guy who kept calling had flopped top pair...and QQ.A one outer. Kept calling potsized bet on T677 with TQQx couldnt believe my eyes when the river showed and I went from 97% equity on turn to this 0%. PT4 doesn't consider it a badbeat either because when I got the money in I had 0%.

Other hand just 1 minute ago on stars I get 3 bet, I 4bet AAss, SPR is <1 I put my last money in the pot HU on QQQ flop. Guy shows me KQT8ss and another 100bb lost that PT4 again does not consider a bad beat had 0,1% equity on flop. Add the nutflush vs straightflush and topfullhouse vs quads, and my challenge is far down with no #quantumofsollace in my PT4 graphs green and yellow line are pretty much the same and far far down. Hemorrhaging buyins in the most absurd and imo unfair set up spots.
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Ok well decided to look at the PT4 graphs since starting the challenge. Just playing plo cash on 2 sites currently, one I had $13,77 profit on one site and the other (with a lot of the sick beats/coolers) -$3,87 so that was not too good. Still around $10 up, got it in deep today HU BU vs BB on 89T he 5bet me all in on flop with 67 I had JQ so that was nice to have 100% equity once on the flop :f_tongue: that surely helped level out the things I described in my last post.
    • Rhodriguez
      Rhodriguez
      Bronze
      :f_thumbsup: an accumulated win is still a win! So many coolers and not even one complete stack down. Just keep going but still stay patient and don't have the feeling you have to double up with every hand. You won't win the remaining 140 buck in the next 30 flips.
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Hi Rhodriguez, thanks for your supportive and encouraging words. I lost a lot of buy ins in a way that affected me negatively as a pokerplayer but I happy about the fact that I kept on playing my best (I think a few years ago I couldn't have done that even though I must admit I quit when that one outer hit on the river and had to rebuy 100bb and the guy with 3% equity on turn was sitting there with 400bb) and managed to eak out a win still having to make up for many buy ins lost. Hope your plo spins are going well! Bye
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      I think I had the wrong filter on for my initial update but here it is filtered solely for 5cent plo for the 2 sites im playing on it is goinng okish but not great. Had KK on AKJJ get minraised normally I stack off here, and I can safely say it was not tilt telling me that I was beat again and that I should just call, but I just had this idea that I was not ahead and I called I was shown JJ for quads. So I see quads way more often than I'd like, when I hit quads it is more like top quads or people don't have anything strong so I lose money to quads, but don't make money the time I hit quads so to speak.As I said in the initial post,
      I am a serious recreational player but not a volume player so I just play whenever I feel like it and not too many tables at the same time so I can really focus on the decision making process instead of roboting through 12 tables with marginal winrate.
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      18bb/100 (adjusted 25) and the other one is 21bb/100 (adjusted 23). Knowing that I feel it is going tough + with every QJT9ds rundown hitting a flop like 855r or A52 has become kind of funny actually but I think the results are ok. I like my decisions most of the time, I have a big leak though with strong full houses that I think check call check call is the best and then villain checks behind river Oooooooooooooooooooo or something so that is definitely something I have to work on definitely leaving money on the tables in these spots. Always a bit scared that I am blowing the fish out of the water with a big raise but yeah this is also far from optimal so have to at least donk river or something or raise turn I'm not sure yet. See you guys. Some of the one outers happened on 5card plo tables, I cannot track them so I will be leaving them out of the challenge. Lost 4-5BI there though.
    • NilPoker
      NilPoker
      Basic
      I read your blog. Think positive and keep up the good work.:D I wish you good luck. Will come back from time to time.
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Used the PS depositcode PSMM100 and got 2 $10 spin and go (NLHE though) tickets and decided to play them tonight because yeah why not. First one was a 4x and was HU did not have the chip lead but 500 vs 1000 and 3bet half stack with TT got called flop K98 and I stacked off he showed K5 for top pair so I was out. The second one was also a 4x, and then I got it HU he raised I snapshoved 55 he showed A2 and 55 held so $40 won which I will use for some PLO spins and some PL Badugi tourneys on the side too (did all the badugi math recently but never got to test it out). :f_tongue:
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Hi Nilpoker thanks for your positive comment!
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Have also added some other fitness goals to my overall goal (3x a week including swimming) also because I am going surfing again this summer (used to be a surfinstructor). Helps clear the mind too, make better decisions in poker and my mind returns faster from tilt to a state of balance).

Also stopped playing zoom people there don't make the same big mistakes as on the regular tables, and on zoom I am pretty much always breakeven in the long run perhaps slightly plus but not worth my time.
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Ok wrapping it up was pretty good tonight didn't manage to cling the illustrious double-wrap win on:

Q96r I had TJ78 was up against AA and 99 I had 47% 3way all in on flop I got the straight on turn but the board paired on river. Too bad. See you guys later.

Will also be using my Starscoin for entry into the $1 PLO spins.
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      OK so pretty devasted hand here it was already going pretty swingy with losing a lot of 70/30s inmy favor vs super aggro 800bb swedish player. 4bi below EV EV being break even. I 4bet AA and spr on flop is 0,7 and gii I have 2,5% equity vs flopped straight (only tiny% of flops he has this much equity on) on 456 and these guys play gapped 8 hi rundowns not knowing that the odds of a flop coming 8 hi are just tiny but yeah. 100bb down the drain and then this one comes along I don't know what you guys think but here it comes I was 220 bb deep and it goes down like this:
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Note it was a pretty aggressive game with definitely nobody waiting around to flop the nuts, 4bet pots with top pair stack offs were normal. Note that with this hand I still had a +EV graph of hte game like 3bb/100 but my green line was -30bb/100. All my profit of the challenge so far gone.

PokerStars - $0.05 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 20.8 BB (VPIP: 72.73, PFR: 1.91, 3Bet Preflop: 3.13, Hands: 212)
      BTN: 968.8 BB (VPIP: 89.47, PFR: 80.00, 3Bet Preflop: 70.97, Hands: 95)
      SB: 155.6 BB (VPIP: 12.99, PFR: 1.13, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 177)
      Hero (BB): 230.2 BB
      UTG: 252.2 BB (VPIP: 25.13, PFR: 13.07, 3Bet Preflop: 5.06, Hands: 199)
      MP: 107.2 BB (VPIP: 28.73, PFR: 17.34, 3Bet Preflop: 4.11, Hands: 375)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 7:heart: K:heart: A:heart: J:diamond:

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, CO calls 3 BB, BTN raises to 5 BB, fold, Hero calls 4 BB, UTG calls 2 BB, CO calls 2 BB

Flop: (20.4 BB, 4 players) 6:heart: A:diamond: 7:club:
      Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, BTN bets 10 BB, Hero calls 10 BB, UTG calls 10 BB, CO calls 10 BB

Turn: (60.4 BB, 4 players) J:heart:
      Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, BTN bets 29 BB, Hero raises to 145 BB, UTG raises to 237.2 BB and is all-in, fold, BTN calls 208.2 BB, Hero calls 70.2 BB and is all-in

River: (750 BB, 3 players) 6:spade:

UTG shows A:spade: A:club: J:spade: K:club: (Full House, Aces full of Sixes)

Main Pot [706 BB]: (Pre 54%, Flop 55%, Turn 53%)
      Side Pot#1 [44 BB]: (Pre 62%, Flop 56%, Turn 53%)

BTN shows 2:club: 9:heart: 8:heart: T:club: (One Pair, Sixes)

Main Pot [706 BB]: (Pre 32%, Flop 41%, Turn 31%)
      Side Pot#1 [44 BB]: (Pre 37%, Flop 44%, Turn 47%)

Hero shows 7:heart: K:heart: A:heart: J:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks)

Main Pot [706 BB]: (Pre 14%, Flop 4%, Turn 17%)

UTG wins 730 BB