[NL2-NL10] NL10, Q8 in a freeplay

• barrelhead
      barrelhead
      Bronze
      0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:club: , Q:club:
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0,10, 6 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,25) Q:spade: , 2:spade: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+2 bets $0,10, Hero calls $0,10.

Turn: ($0,45) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+2 bets $0,20, Hero calls $0,20.

River: ($0,85) 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,60, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: $1,45

Hello,

I'm not sure if I played this hand correctly. I have a top pair on the flop, but only with 8 as a kicker so I didn't bet. I called though, as I had a pair and my opponent's bet looked like an attempt to steal the pot. But I'm not exactly sure, how to play these hands right (especially the flop/turn play as the situation on river was imo quite clear as I had a made hand if I understand it correctly). Would love to read some advice on this matter. Thanks in advance.

BH
  • 5 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello barrelhead,

I take the iniative on the Turn by betting potsized myself and call a shove as I see his limprange like marginal hands. Betting potsized on the turn protects you from the double flushdraw.

As played, that's fine too but would you fold on the river if the Rivercard came the King or Ace and he bets $0.6 ?

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • barrelhead
      barrelhead
      Bronze
      Hi,

so you bet pot size on the turn only if there is a double flushdraw or is it some kind of general rule?

I would fold on river in that situation as if nothing else he could have a better pair.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      No the 3 is basically only opening opportunities (draws) so the 3 is a blank.

I dont like to Reraise on the Flop and fold to a semi-bluff. A blank increases your winning chance and therefore I prefer to call on the Flop and take iniative on the Turn because of this blank.

Would the card be a , K or Ace, I would check/fold it, you only invested 1bb into it :)

Does this makes sense?
    • barrelhead
      barrelhead
      Bronze
      Yes, I think I understand now :) Thanks a lot for your comments.

Btw. I know you'll be taking the coaching lessons on Sunday instead of IngolPoker, may I suggest you talk there a bit about these kind of situations that aren't exactly covered by SHC and basic pre/post flop play as I think it would help a lot of people.

Cheers,
      BH
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by barrelhead
      Yes, I think I understand now :) Thanks a lot for your comments.

Btw. I know you'll be taking the coaching lessons on Sunday instead of IngolPoker, may I suggest you talk there a bit about these kind of situations that aren't exactly covered by SHC and basic pre/post flop play as I think it would help a lot of people.

Cheers,
      BH
      I will take a note of that sure :)