Poker players in future

    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2009 Posts: 5,137
      Have you ever thought of situation that in future there can be only few bad players because they see that they can't win in long run and they will not play poker anymore or they will go to poker school like us? How do you think will it be?
  • 16 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Gold
      Joined: 01.06.2008 Posts: 1,362
      Same as now only more ppl playing. Percentage of fish, slightly skilled, skilled, very skilled and uber skilled will be the same tbh. Only the field will get larger. All I hope for is the unban of US market and the invasion of Asian ppl. As long as that happens the 5% will still be making loads off the other 95%. And it's likely going to happen shortly.
    • Talic
      Talic
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2008 Posts: 1,851
      SPeedFANat1c, man I mean... be scared rather of AI, smart poker autopilots and brain chips. Poker is dead "job" its just matter of time (20y? who knows)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Joined: 20.02.2008 Posts: 2,145
      the beauty of poker is that bad players will always keep winning, as in they will again and again win hands, making them keep coming back. with other games, e.g. chess, bad players practically never win against players that are vastly superior, which is why they don't keep on playing against them.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Joined: 05.02.2008 Posts: 8,270
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Have you ever thought of situation that in future there can be only few bad players because they see that they can't win in long run and they will not play poker anymore or they will go to poker school like us? How do you think will it be?
      I can see myself at 100/200+ tables looking for new and new fish and semi-skilled players moving up the limits sooner they should :D
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.09.2008 Posts: 2,214
      Millions of Chinese....
      Millions of Chinese who love to gamble (I have been to Macau Venetian etc. seen it first hand)

      Only a matter of time....
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.09.2008 Posts: 546
      When I think of questions like that I always start comparing poker to life. At this day and age, with all the wealth of information available at one's fingertips, most people still insist on leading the sort of lifestyle that best reflects their attitude, character, and superstitions... even if they know that it is an -ev lifestyle (e.g. not eating healthy when they know they should, not enough exercise when they know they better stay in shape, smoking despite knowing the health risks etc..).

      In poker I believe that, on a subconscious level, people primarily want their game to reflect their nature. This is why we see such a variety in style even among the top pros. Poker can be made to represent life in this way... and so it follows that we should have roughly the same distribution of winners vs losers no matter how the total number of players grows.

      People who are rational in nature will want their game to reflect this, and so they will intuitively understand the importance of making the right decision at the right time with little concern for its immediate outcome = +ev.

      People who are superstitious in nature, or just plain stubborn, will want their game to reflect this and so they will pay little to no regard to stupid stuff like odds. They will often just have a "feeling" that they will somehow defy all the odds and win = -ev.

      The ultimate beauty of poker IMO, which also serves as another parallel to life in general, is that it will always show you just enough to enforce your beliefs, and keep you going even if you are a loser. In specific terms, this means that even losing players will win enough times to make them believe that their playing style is right for them (thus validating their personality & beliefs) and that it's just a matter of time before they win BIG.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Many, many people play for the thrill, even though they know they will prob lose. Why do you think there are so many casinos lol

      And they dont give a crap about studying or strategy, specially if they are loaded with cash.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2009 Posts: 5,137
      Thanks, your answers added more motivation to learn poker despite this:

      Originally posted by Talic
      be scared rather of AI, smart poker autopilots and brain chips.
      but I hope that poker rooms will have technology that detect such things(dont imagine how) like they now detect bots( I hope that they detect :) )
    • Mudrinjo
      Mudrinjo
      Bronze
      Joined: 23.10.2008 Posts: 162
      Originally posted by Talic
      SPeedFANat1c, man I mean... be scared rather of AI, smart poker autopilots and brain chips. Poker is dead "job" its just matter of time (20y? who knows)

      ?( ?( ?( ?(
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.01.2009 Posts: 3,583
      I think there will be more skilled players, more under 18 people play in this day and age so they will have a upper hand against over players.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.04.2008 Posts: 1,243
      I don't want the chinese to start playing that much.. I mean Badugi and all that other crap can be kind of fun but I still like Hold'Em the most...
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.01.2009 Posts: 93
      You have the point nafar. There will be always people who don't want to spend 3 hours a day studying/playing poker, who just want to play for fun. Even tho their goal is to win, the main reason they play is because they enjoy interacting/bluffing/catching a draw/seeing a miracle flop. These are your average Friday/Saturday night fish who play maybe 2-3 times a week to kill some time, and not to improve and study their mistakes and overall play. Even if its -EV, some of the very good experiences will overshadow the many not too bad experiences.

      A lot of people will think: "wow, I made 1BI with Ax flush, and someone at my table just won a 3BI pot with 35s, this can't be that hard". I know, I had that period in my poker "career", mostly in live poker in the beginning when I didn't know better.

      To answer the initial post, I see the future as more people playing, more fishies, but there will be more of those who will see the potential and take it more seriously. All in all the ratio and distribution won't change. The only concern I have is that governments will start to regulate and tax our already raked and hard earned money. As for AI and bots, well, if they get mainstream and the platforms don't do anything about it, I'm pretty sure it will be the end of online poker. I know people who don't play because they already think if you play online, you play against computers and you can never win...
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2009 Posts: 5,137
      Originally posted by Frakkk The only concern I have is that governments will start to regulate and tax our already raked and hard earned money.
      I think they already get taxes from casinos like from other firms so it would be dishonest if they get taxes additionally
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.01.2009 Posts: 93
      That's not what I meant. I know that all businesses and casinos have to pay taxes as they are making profit and a good living. Part of our rake is already going to taxes. I meant when they will keep track of individuals who make money playing poker. Lets say you win $1000 in a tournament, but you have to pay taxes after it. For example in Hungary, if you win $10000 on the lottery or "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", you have to pay about $3000 to the government in "Prize Taxes". Poker and especially online poker is still a new area in terms of legal income, jobs and taxes. I don't even think credit companies will accept playing poker as a legitimate and steady source of income to give loans and mortgages.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2009 Posts: 5,137
      Originally posted by Frakkk
      Part of our rake is already going to taxes. I meant when they will keep track of individuals who make money playing poker. Lets say you win $1000 in a tournament, but you have to pay taxes after it. For example in Hungary, if you win $10000 on the lottery or "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", you have to pay about $3000 to the government in "Prize Taxes".
      I understood what you mean, but I think it is bad, especially in lotteries, because the lottery makes profit, not a man although he won a million one day. You understand I think. As you said we already pay taxes because we pay rakes. So it is bad if we should pay tax one more time.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.04.2008 Posts: 5,545
      Originally posted by nafar84
      When I think of questions like that I always start comparing poker to life. At this day and age, with all the wealth of information available at one's fingertips, most people still insist on leading the sort of lifestyle that best reflects their attitude, character, and superstitions... even if they know that it is an -ev lifestyle (e.g. not eating healthy when they know they should, not enough exercise when they know they better stay in shape, smoking despite knowing the health risks etc..).

      In poker I believe that, on a subconscious level, people primarily want their game to reflect their nature. This is why we see such a variety in style even among the top pros. Poker can be made to represent life in this way... and so it follows that we should have roughly the same distribution of winners vs losers no matter how the total number of players grows.

      People who are rational in nature will want their game to reflect this, and so they will intuitively understand the importance of making the right decision at the right time with little concern for its immediate outcome = +ev.

      People who are superstitious in nature, or just plain stubborn, will want their game to reflect this and so they will pay little to no regard to stupid stuff like odds. They will often just have a "feeling" that they will somehow defy all the odds and win = -ev.

      The ultimate beauty of poker IMO, which also serves as another parallel to life in general, is that it will always show you just enough to enforce your beliefs, and keep you going even if you are a loser. In specific terms, this means that even losing players will win enough times to make them believe that their playing style is right for them (thus validating their personality & beliefs) and that it's just a matter of time before they win BIG.
      nice post, I agree with most of it.