SnG $1 Turbo

• Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I dont know if this is the right place, i just started with my first capital these days and Im playing in partypoker. I was trainning my poker at standards sng's. I saw standard sng's videos, i played standard sng's on play money and now Im having a lot of trouble playing real money in turbo. Standard sng's is available for $6, but I dont have the properly bankroll

Any tips? :P

So far I played 4 games: 2 losses, one 2nd and one 3th

Sorry about my english :D
  • 19 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hi Alverine,

playing with your starting capital at Party is kind of tough. Not really because the SNGs at the lowest levels are turbos but because the rake is so high at the 1$ SNGs..
      If you made 1 second and 1 third place on a limit with normal rake you would actually be in profit already so you're not doing so bad.
      In order to beat the 1$ SNGs you need to pracitce with the ICM trainer a lot, watch videos and visit coahings. You simply need to learn to play very well in order to beat this limit. The good news is that when you manage to do that you should be able to beat the higher limits with less effort..

Good luck to you and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions,
      Lubor
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Hi Lubor,

Thank you so much for the ICM Trainer advice. I taught there was only the ICM trainer lighter available to me. After studying for 30 minutes i played 2 sng: one I lost, the other one i win in 1st :D

Too bad Elephant still aint available to me. I had a scenario wich the blinds were 1k/2kk. I was the leader stack and had only 4BB. Im not sure what was my range of pushes and folds (any two maybe?).

See ya
    • mozartiano
      mozartiano
      Bronze
      Hi Alverine.

This table is not THAT hard.

The main problem are the horrible players that bet there and sometimes you get your AA beaten by 45, 56 and (believe me) 23.

Currently I've mastered the technique in playing that table and can't lose anymore :D .

Last 10 tourneys at that table: 6 1st places, 1 second place, 3 3rd places.

My strategy:
      Play TIGHTEST until blind level 4. Only Play AA, KK, QQ and AK.

Always raise when getting those hands.

Sometimes, limp 77, 99, TT, JJ.

If you hit one set in the flop and there are not complete FLUSH/STRAIGHT Draws, push all-in.

When blinds are at level 4, you you be either at push/fold or with a big stack.

If in first case, push all Ax (except 2/3/4) Kx (Q,J,T,9,8) Qx(QJ, QT) at pre-flop (except at early positions).

If you are at big stack, always steal from cutoff , dealer and small blind. Sometimes you will get called, so, use Cbets.

Put one eye at shortstacks and push them (at this level, low stack players love to limp).

Do this until get the money (off course you will lose sometimes).
      If you are in the money, play VERY Agressively when in position.
      Whereas, out of position, fold all raises.

At heads up, show that you always have the best cards. Raise, reraise and push, if needed.

Let me know if it works for you as well.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      You must have nice profits :D

So far so good. Played 9 games. Spend $9 in bi and receive $13,60 in prizes, giving a profit at $4,60.

I will try that strategy :)

Thanks

Edit: I played 2 sessions. It really worked, both igot ITM, but one I stuck with low stack and ended in 3rd, the other i finished in 2nd. Plus $2 profit on my BR
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Nice post mozartiano I must really try this too :D !
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I don't like that strategy too much.
      It might be profitable for you but I think that the standard strategy is still better. You can use the push or fold charts which are better than your pushing ranges and try to to learn the ICM which is waaay better than you pushing ranges...
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Yeah I think betting 3/4 or 1/2 pot when you have top pair (or better) to protect your hand is the best option.

Im checking the ICM trainer, in almost all head's up situation the best thing to do is push with any two, because the blinds are so huuuge that you have no option

Please correct if im worng
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      That's not true. In the heads up you rarely get an any two spot. If I were you I would leave the heads up ICM for later and concentrate on the normal and bubble play. You have to react to your opponent heads up a lot. Knowing the ICM helps but you can do without for a while IMO.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Im not following you. What should i base my decisions, other than ICM?

Im also with problems in the bubble. I see if I use more agression in the bubble, I lost more often but i get more first places. If I use a tigther strategy I get more time ITM but I lost strenght to fight for the 1st position. Either way is profitable so far, but havent aquire much of information.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      @ mozartiano, nice wins. I think your strategy could definitely be profitable, but in the early stages its good to limp small PP's too, if you miss the flop its easy to get away from, n if you hit a set it can be like a gold mine!

Also your strategy doesn't take into account your stack size when in push/fold mode (that you mentioned anyways), pushing any ace is a bad idea unless you're really short, as you want to be ahead most the time if you get called, n K8 isn't good at all. I think all the hands you mentioned are good to push from the SB with, n if you are really short you need to start pushing with suited connectors in late position so you don't lose your fold equity.

And as a bigstack you shouldn't be stealing from the SB/BU/CO every time, your objective is to protect your stack, I think if you were stealing every time they would clock on.. you want to apply pressure to the smaller stacks but not get yourself into too much trouble doing it by playing weak hands.

@ Alverine, your first goal in an sng is to make ITM. In early game play tight n wait for good cards, patience is the best thing here.. let the fish knock each other out, n use this time to get reads on ur opponents.

Play aggressive on the bubble to try maintain and build your stack.
      You shouldn't call any raises unless you have a strong hand (I think maybe JJ+/AK, or TT+/AQ+ against a loose player when you have a medium stack), in which case you should reraise all in. If you are really short stack you have to loosen your range n push directly all in preflop.

Once you have made ITM you can loosen up, steal more with a medium stack, when you are 3 handed the possibilty of your opponents holding strong hands decreases a lot, n u can fold if your opponent shows resistance.

When you, or those left to act have less than 13 BB pushing all in (using the push/fold chart or ICM) is optimal, you don't want to miss a flop after a raise n be forced to go all in if you c-bet on the flop.

I think PS advises all this (not sure about all the handranges to be exact) so maybe theres no point me even writing all this! I've found that when I stick to it (it takes discipline!), I usually end up ITM, sometimes you get sucked out on, or get a really bad run of cards but you can't expect to win all the time :)

Good luck!
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Yesterday was my first day I lost some money :(
      Im gonna check on sng analyzer what have i done wrong

Hope that today i make good profits :)
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Is it normal to feel so much variance?

This day I started with $59, went down to $49 loosing 10 sessions in a row, and now I go up to $61 (at the same day).

My game is pretty much the same strategy, but today I get very scared
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      It is normal that this happens from time to time. You can lower the swing by playing better, though, so if this happens often then you need to start looking for leaks more zealously...
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Yeah, im still having a lot of leaks. I got 87% at ICM, wich is far from 95%

And than there is the emotional part. After losting with KK and AK, i played some sessions without the proper agression, because i was afraid to lost.

Hey i have another question if you dont mind :P
      I have two monitors, one is 32" and the other 17". Im thinking about multitabling. Current im playing only two. Is there a bankroll limit for 4 or 8 tables?

Thank you very much :D
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Nope the number of tables has no influence on the BRM because BRM only exists to protect you from variance and since the number of tables doesn't increase variance (you can get more suckouts per hour since you play more hands but you will still get the same number per tournament) there is no need to reflect the number of tables in the BRM.
      Another question is how many tables you can still handle without making mistakes and only you can answer this question.. If you want to start playing more tables add just 1 at a time and then add another when you feel comfortable enough..
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Hey, do you know any software i can use to see my results in the long run?

Something that make this type of graph:

Its soon to tell, but I observing that on weekends the money goes into my BR very much easier than usual days
    • jasny69
      jasny69
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Just signed up for PartyPoker, I was playing a lot on FTP SNGs' with good results, but those Turbo SNGs' are kind a tough.

One think I noticed they're great for practicing end-game, since M is falling down very quick and PUSH/FOLD starts just after few minutes.

My question is, since PUSH/FOLD stage is more gambling then anything else, how helpful is perfecting ICM?
    • jasny69
      jasny69
      Bronze
      Sorry, posted same twice by mistake.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jasny69

My question is, since PUSH/FOLD stage is more gambling then anything else, how helpful is perfecting ICM?
      Luck is not the opposite of skill. In a single hand of poker, or one tournament, luck dominates. If you repeat the same gambles, whether you were taking the correct gambles will dominate the luck.

If you take a random SNG player in your games, and give them a push/fold quiz, how well would they do? If they would all do about as well as you, then maybe you don't have a skill advantage and the outcome is luck. However, in most low stakes games, most of your opponents would do terribly. They don't study, and you do, and this lets you gain a large skill advantage in that phase of the game.

The Nash equilibrium ranges presented by ICM Trainer do not represent the most profitable plays. They are appropriate against very good opponents who recognize you as a very good opponent. In practice, you can do better by predicting your opponents' deviations from the Nash equilibrium. However, studying the Nash equilibrium is useful because you learn which hands are better for pushing, and you learn to pay attention to important factors such as position and stack sizes.