I hate this

• moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      As the title says i really hate to bitch about bad beats and shit, i know i hate when someone moans about bad beat.

So i wont whine, i play mostly NL25 SSS and i just wanted to know if this crap will stop sometime soon, yesterday i lost 12 buyins, lost all the coinflips, and the ones i went in with a better hand i got sucked out with a runner runner flush or similar.

Just to give you an idea:

$0.1/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      7 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG dabbler101 ($14.25)
      UTG+1 YouDirtyRat ($8.40)
      MP Hero ($4.55)
      CO gord_lender ($8.25)
      BTN DocPhlegmo ($27.85)
      SB Tower12345 ($9.75)
      BB BlaBlaBla72 ($20.15)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 7 players) Hero is MP K:diamond: A:diamond:
      1 fold, YouDirtyRat calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1, gord_lender calls $1, 3 folds, YouDirtyRat calls $0.75

Flop: 6:club: A:club: 4:spade: ($3.35, 3 players)
      YouDirtyRat checks, Hero bets $2.75, gord_lender folds, YouDirtyRat raises to $5.50, Hero goes all-in $0.80

Turn: 3:spade: ($12.40, 2 players)

River: 6:spade: ($12.40, 2 players)

Final Pot: $10.45
      YouDirtyRat shows: 8:spade: A:spade:
      Hero shows: K:diamond: A:diamond:

YouDirtyRat wins $11.90 ( won +$5.40 )
      Hero lost -$4.55
      gord_lender lost -$1

-This one i picked randomly, but crap like this happened all day.

-Today it started a bit better, was up a few buyins but then again it all started, ended the day losing 3 stacks...so it makes it -15 total.

-I still have sufficient bankroll for this limit, but i guess im kinda scared if it goes on like this i can easily blow entire bankroll in the next few days.

-The same thing goes for sng's.

-Whats the average duration of sss downswings? And should i move down the limits (have in mind that i still have sufficient br for this level) at least until this ends?
  • 13 replies
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      Playing SSS involves a lot of variance. If I were you, I would move down to play BSS. No way to tell how long a the downswing will last, you can try to change tables, limits, even platforms if you have 2 accounts. Good Luck!
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      SSS has very high variance as you are often all-in and flipping. Hence swings around 10 buy-ins aren't rare. I think it is better to use more conservative bankroll for it (I decided not to move up limits until I have 50 buy-ins for the next one).
      I just had nearly 20 buy-ins downswing 3 days ago and won it back already.
      There is no need to move down limits if you have sufficient bankroll for the current one and if you are positive that you can beat this limit (if you moved up recently, maybe it is reasonable to move back down), but make sure you aren't tilting.

About the hand you posted.
      1. Try to find full tables whenever possible, ideally 10 players. SSS works the better the more players are at the table (you play very little hands and when short-handed, blinds get expensive).
      2. Why don't you raise to 5 bb if there is a limper in front of you?
      3. If you are betting more than half of your stack, you should push directly.

Good luck with handling your downswing.
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      fck it

i just lost another 5BI in 366 hands...this is a record

im moving down to NL10... X( rake is gonna kill me
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      haha...love it :heart:

$0.05/$0.1 No Limit Holdem
      7 players

Stacks:
      UTG Barre_Pils ($2.50)
      UTG+1 Dijkstraas ($4.85)
      MP doker44 ($5.60)
      CO peter0624 ($2.00)
      BTN IcyOne1 ($1.90)
      SB TrebPoker ($2.90)
      BB Hero ($2.00)
      [peter0624 posted $0.1]

Pre-flop: ($0.25, 7 players) Hero is BB K:spade: K:diamond:
      Barre_Pils raises to $0.45, 4 folds, TrebPoker calls $0.40, Hero goes all-in $2, Barre_Pils goes all-in $2.50, TrebPoker calls $2.05

Flop: T:heart: 3:spade: Q:diamond: ($7.10, 3 players)

Turn: 9:heart: ($7.10, 3 players)

River: T:diamond: ($7.10, 3 players)

Final Pot: $7.10
      TrebPoker shows: 8:club: 8:heart:
      Hero shows: K:spade: K:diamond:
      Barre_Pils shows: A:diamond: T:spade:

Barre_Pils wins $6.40 ( won +$3.90 )
      TrebPoker lost -$2.50
      Hero lost -$2

few hands later....

$0.05/$0.1 No Limit Holdem
      9 players

Stacks:
      UTG Null Poker ($1.85)
      UTG+1 murrrr456 ($8.90)
      MP1 Hero ($2.00)
      MP2 IcyOne1 ($3.75)
      MP3 ooob3 ($2.00)
      CO Mathew Ivinson ($4.70)
      BTN zebra2 ($3.15)
      SB koxanjysja ($3.55)
      BB perle24 ($1.90)

Pre-flop: ($0.15, 9 players) Hero is MP1 A:heart: A:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, IcyOne1 calls $0.40, 4 folds, perle24 goes all-in $1.90, Hero goes all-in $2, IcyOne1 calls $1.60

Flop: 9:diamond: J:heart: 6:heart: ($5.95, 3 players)

Turn: 8:club: ($5.95, 3 players)

River: T:spade: ($5.95, 3 players)

Final Pot: $5.95
      perle24 shows: T:heart: T:diamond:
      Hero shows: A:heart: A:diamond:
      IcyOne1 shows: K:diamond: K:club:

perle24 wins $5.20 ( won +$3.30 )
      Hero wins $0.20 ( lost -$1.80 )
      IcyOne1 lost -$2
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      Play BSS!:D On fulltilt 5-10c tables are bad, first the rake, second you have at least 3 shortstacks at a table. On partypoker if you sit down at a very loose table and play an even tighter SSS shoving instead of a raise, I'm confident you will make profit.

I personally like deep tables because I really don't want to deal with $2 all-ins before the flop where I know it will be 50-50 most of the time, and to be honest SSS takes away the fun in poker...
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      trust me, if my bankroll would allow it, i would play bss

my goal is to play nl25 sh, but i need at least a bankroll of 600$, which im far off right now

i take occasional stabs at the game with 100bb stack, but very rarely

i hate sss, swings are too high, and as you said no fun, just mindless automated decisions.

its a "necessary evil" :D
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      how much do you have right now? I'm playing BSS with $110atm NL10, I know BRM says not to, but I hate SSS. As long as you have a solid BSS game and you're careful, you should be ok.
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      its $130 atm

i think im going to switch to sng's until i build a bit more stable br for nl10 sh

i just dont feel comfortable playing outside my brm
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Hm, but be careful. :-)
      SNGs have high variance - you are playing for your whole buy-in every time and often flipping around bubble with it (it's somewhat similar to SSS in this).
      I don't recommend you to play $5 buy-in SNGs with your bankroll (it would be probably at least as "dangerous" as NL10 fullstack).
      And I don't like $2 buy-in as on all rooms I have played so far they have 20 % fee ($2+0.4) and that's hard to beat, not impossible, but it still lowers your ROI by 20...

Good luck with any form of poker you choose. :-)
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by moovet
      trust me, if my bankroll would allow it, i would play bss

my goal is to play nl25 sh, but i need at least a bankroll of 600$, which im far off right now

i take occasional stabs at the game with 100bb stack, but very rarely

i hate sss, swings are too high, and as you said no fun, just mindless automated decisions.

its a "necessary evil" :D

K I wanted to do the same so I did the following:

Deposit 100$ on Stars,
      Play Nl5 SH
      Play NL10 Sh

Transfer back to FT
      Play NL25 Sh
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Don't worry just discipline yourself. I think you are tilting and not sticking 99% to SSS. Thus your table image (stats) could be too loose and ppl think you are bluffing. This same thing happened to me. I was playing too much hands - not sticking to SSS strategy. I lost half of my 500$ BR+100$ bonus because of it and i am still recovering from it.
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      whnever i go on tilt, i just quit playing

my stats for NL25 SSS are 6.8/6.7/3.54 ...so im pretty sure im not too loose

Deposit 100$ on Stars, Play Nl5 SH Play NL10 Sh Transfer back to FT Play NL25 Sh

i was thinking about this, but im not sure about the profit i can make at nl5, lets say i get 5ptbb/100, thats 100$ at 10k hands, and 10k hands is a lot especially if i wont be playing more than 2-3 tables at a time...it will take me about 3-4 weeks for 100$...on a good day i can get round 40$ at nl25 sss

ill think about it tho :)
    • CanDo71
      CanDo71
      Bronze
      Funny thing about hold'm is that truely awful players can win, not over the long run but enough to hurt your bankroll if you are up against enough of them. It's the nature of the beast. I will usually leave a table if there are too many donks wreaking havoc. Otherwise I will just be extra patient and look for an opportunity to bust them. Avoid coin flip situations and play flops for strong draws with plenty of outs. Recently I was able to extract sweet revenge on a few maniacs by trapping with straights and flushes.