This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

EV calculation in strategy article

• Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I have been rereading the silver strategy articles lately and found a possible mistake. :-)
      I already commented on it under the article, but no one responded so far.

In the article you present this formula for computing the EV of a contibet:
      EV= Fold equity * Pot – (100-Fold equity) * Costs
      EV= 40% * $100 - 60% * $50
      EV= $40 - $30
      EV= $10

Thus if you make a conti-bet, the average profit is $10.
      and then you compare this EV to the EV of checking behind and taking a free card where you have about 17 % of improving and making the best hand.

In this formula you expect to loose every time the villain calls while we should still have the 17 % chance of improving to the best hand which increases the EV by around $15 because we win $200 pot where we just paid $50 more hence it is 0,6 (villain calls) * 0,17 (we improve) * (200 - 50).
      (I made a mistake about the amount in the original comment under the article.)

I would like to find out whether I understand something wrongly or whether there is really a mistake.
      Thanks in advance for any answer. :-)
  • 2 replies