There's life after 60

• NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      Not all poker players are under 30!

Reading the blogs it often looks that way, but you can still have fun after 60.

Brief background:

Born in England in the 1940’s, Welsh mother and Australian father, an interesting mix to start!

Poker started at college in the 60’s, three card brag and pontoon (blackjack) kept me in spending money there for four years!! Haven’t seen any brag on the poker sites yet, a good fast game that can get pretty hair raising at times, even more so with 2’s wild.

After a three month holiday in Europe got back to England broke. Wanted to carry on traveling so paid the outrageous sum of 10 pounds and was flown out to Melbourne. (Yes, a ten pound pom!!)

Worked for a while in Adelaide, then Melbourne and Sydney. Kept bar, waited on tables etc in restaurants and hotels. Then landed a job in Papua New Guinea as assistant manager in a hotel in Lae, then Goroka in the highlands. Had a ball. It was before independence and the lifestyle was fantastic.

After two years back to Australia, dug holes in the opal fields at Lightning Ridge for a few months with little success, then got a job on one of the Barrier Reef islands where I met my wife.

She is from New Zealand so we came here to get married and haven’t left since (apart from holiday trips).

I now work part time in the petrochemical industry in Taranaki.

Read about internet poker about three years ago and thought it would be an easy way to make a few extra dollars with all my previous skill and knowledge!! Yeah, right!!

Deposited $100 and lost it within a week. Tried again and this time it took two weeks!! My wife was not impressed when she got back from her overseas trip!!

That was it for a year or so, messed around with play money a bit but got frustrated with the all in merchants who populate that arena.

Finally about 18 months ago I put $50 onto UB, this time it lasted and slowly grew. A tournament win cleared the original $200, and I was making $10 – 20 a month (yeah, big deal!!!) Mainly playing on the micro stakes.

In December last year, I somehow found PS (I read a lot on the internet about poker and came across it there) and thought no, too good to be true. Anyway took the test (no reading first, after all I know it all!!!). So I flunked it!! More reading and eventually got there, what’s more PS did give me the $50. Great stuff, thank you.

Have now gone from the initial $50 to $160, still playing micro FL and BSNL, and as soon as I have cleared my Party bonus (a week or so) will take the $50 offered for Mansion.

Favourite games are FL and PL Omaha.

Love the bankroll management ideas, Have now convinced my wife that I need to leave the money in my poker fund rather than her shopping fund!!!!

She quite likes me playing as it means she can watch Coro Street and The Bill on TV without me wanting to switch to the sports channel all the time!!! I still manage to watch NZ beat the Aussies (Some of the time!) at cricket, rugby union and rugby league

Current goals are:

To achieve gold status,
      To get elephant licence,
      To move to 25/50c by mid year,
      To play sit and go's

Think this site is great, good reading materials, good videos, good strategy ideas and I hope to get more involved as time moves on. Just need to make sure I leave time for golf and fishing!!!

If any interest in this blog. I will update every couple of weeks or so, please comment (if anyone reads it!). Maybe PS should set up a group for the more mature players!!

My key gripe about on line poker is the speed with which the cards are dealt on an all in (at Omaha). Won $15 on a hand the other day, had heaps of outs but thought I had lost after the turn and river. When my bankroll multiplied I had to check out the hand history to see what I had won with!!! With all the cards and possible combinations they could go slower when playing Omaha.

Remember, The best years come after 60 (have finally got the kids out of our hair!)
  • 36 replies
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Hey there.

Nice read, kept me reading the whole thing.

It's nice to see an older guy in here :) I will definitely check in from time to time to see if you have any updates.

Regards,
      Kimber88
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      Love the bankroll management ideas, Have now convinced my wife that I need to leave the money in my poker fund rather than her shopping fund!!!!
      hahaha nice one

i
    • Kamikaze001
      Kamikaze001
      Bronze
      hey
      i m a a little bit younger than you - 19 xD but i tell you if you really make it to the midstakes (or higher ^^) poker is really easy money if you look at the relation of time investment and winnings. nevertheless it really takes a lot of time in advance until you get to this point...but then you are probably well able to fund your wife's shopping funds as well ;)
      wish you good luck!
    • Dustrial224
      Dustrial224
      Bronze
      I don't know what you just did when you wrote this but whatever you did it kept me intressted.

You have the same goals as me except I only play sngs.

Hard goals to achieve, but I really hope you manage to make it.

Keep on with the nice blogs, I will keep on reading.

Cheers!
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Very nice read, keep us posted
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      Fantastic, some readers, even better some great feedback. Thanks all.

But where are the other 60+’s Any more out there???

Anyway, a quick update. I don’t have all these fancy graphs I see from others, do they come from elephant? Is so, I’m only a couple of hundred points away now.

Have been keeping proper records since August last year this is my progress:

Aug -$57.69
      Sept $84.94
      Oct $151.45
      Nov $6.05
      Dec $70.15
      Jan 53.33
      TOTAL 308.23

Not too bad as mostly at micro limit cash games NL and OmahaPLH. This month +$36 to date.

Tough day today, had a quick job to do in town so the missus came with me to do some shopping. My work took 30 mins, the shopping 3+hours (ouch!!). Had to spend approx 40 mins in the bra section of the department store while she looked, tried on, looked again, tried on again, etc etc! I was getting some strange looks towards the end. Lucky not to be arrested as a DOM (Dirty Old Man!)

Back to poker, nearly cleared my bonus at Party so will set up account at Mansion in a couple of days with the kind PS offer of $50.

How do you manage all this multi tabling? I see some of you saying you play 6, 8 and even up to 20 tables at once. I now manage three but find I am not reading the other players as well as I should be. It does however reduce the boredom between getting good starting hands and helps clear the bonus.

Tried 4 yesterday and got in a mess when I had three good hands at the same time. When I checked the histories afterwards found I had made a bad misread on one, but the other two both scooped the pot.

Have decided to play in 1 hour sessions, then take a break. It does keep me focused.

Good luck to you all and thanks for the feedback.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey NakiMan... soon as I saw the handle I figured you were at least residing in a decent part of the globe! ;)

I'm not 60, just feel like it! I figure we're both in the same demographic split for the site tho based on population 18-21, 22-25, 26-30, freaking ancient+ :D

The graphs are from a combination of tracking software PokerTracker3, Hold'em Manager and Elephant. You can download and use Elephant before you get the 1000 points on a trial basis for a couple of weeks, so its worth downloading straight away and registering it when you get the licence.

There can be issues installing Elephant but there are a couple of good threads in the software section of the forums.

You can also get free trials on the other two pieces of tracking software mentioned above, you should be able to find them easily through google.

Multitabling is just a matter of practice and patience. I know I used to figure uber multi tabling was just for geniuses, but really its not too difficult. It's much easier with the tracking software as it gives you reads without you having to remember all the plays.

The best way to increase the number of tables you use is SLOWLY! Get comfortable with two, add a table. Get comfortable with three, add a table. Doing this I ended up playing 8 - 10 full ring games on FLHE $.10/$.20, I play around 10 tables using SSS on NL20, and I've just managed to comfortably play 4 tables of FLHE Short Handed at $1/$2.

These I would consider to be at the lower to middle end of what is comfortable for most folks who are pretty familiar with the strategy. Having said this, each of us have our own comfort levels and obviously none is more correct.

Also, multitabling has pros and cons... increased number of hands - therefore maximising return but reduced performance per table in terms of playing your best.

I know when I first started adding tables I would miss hands and time out every now and then, misclick hands lots. I reduced tables and slowly started adding them and now these things still happen, but significantly less! :D

Always nice to have another FL blog around too!

Good luck and keep us updated. :)
    • deving42
      deving42
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just read through your blog, it's quite interesting. Good to see that you have been moving your bankroll up. I will continue to read your blog when you post.

Good luck at the tables.

Devin
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      How do you manage all this multi tabling? I see some of you saying you play 6, 8 and even up to 20 tables at once. I now manage three but find I am not reading the other players as well as I should be. It does however reduce the boredom between getting good starting hands and helps clear the bonus.

Tried 4 yesterday and got in a mess when I had three good hands at the same time. When I checked the histories afterwards found I had made a bad misread on one, but the other two both scooped the pot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'm with you on this one.........i only do 2 tables ( on my laptop) hopefully when my 27" screen is delivered next week I can try 4 or more......

Nice Brog.............(R's n L's get mixed up in this part of the world) :D
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      ahh now I dont feel so old lol, I see one of the new blackmembers is 45 years young which is encouraging for us over 30s.

Dont try to play too many tables, people who grind more than 6 tables can earn more money but their play is almost automatic and they dont really have time to think deeply about their decisions and add new information to their play. If you want to keep studying, learning and improving (as you always should) then stick to 4 tables and focus on working on your game.

what are you fishing for in taranaki? I get out on Foveaux strait as often as possible, its always rough as but get a freezerful of cod and crays every time without fail.

good luck
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      Guys,

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Waiboy, must be Waikato I guess, hot and steamy at the moment! I will download elephant to try now, only a couple of hundred points away from a licence.

And the Mainland, Hi delete. Mainly fishing for Snapper, gurnard and Kingies here. I agree re tables, even with three I don’t always keep up with the brain (must be old age!) Gurnard for tea tonight

Cheers
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NakiMan
      Waiboy, must be Waikato I guess, hot and steamy at the moment!
      Yes indeed... also I'm quite tickled by the "Water boy" translation too! However I live in Auckland and have for some time... I just can't switch alliegence (?)...

It is DEFINITELY hot and sweaty here... I'm absolutely dripping with sweat at the moment and its BLOODY WELL 10PM AND EVEN JUST STARTED RAINING!!!!! :baby: :D

Good luck with the Elephant install.. any probs the forums are always awesome for helping out. :D
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      The more you play, the more tables you will be able to open. This is because you will have to think less about certain situations that repeat themselves. As you know, this will come to you after thousands of hands.

If you have hands time out on you then I would play one less table. If I get bored por certain periods of time and/or start playing mediocre hands then I might add a table. This way you dont think twice about stealing with K8s and just fold =)

I find doing exercise everyday does wonders to my stamina and focus while multitabling, you need to be fit physically to play your A-game imo
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      A brief update.

Thanks for all the feedback, I’m starting to think I must be the only 60+ player here!

Have downloaded Elephant and am coming to grips with it. It would be good if someone put together an instruction video showing how to use all the features, I have read all I can find but I am sure there is more to it than I am using. Then it crashed but I found a useful blog by Batman which has now sorted it out.

Have now comlleted my bonus from Party so have taken the $50 at Mansion. Thank you PS.

Mansion is hard work, a number of table closures for no apparent reason plus it does lag at times. Started on the micro limits and found if full of SSS players, was +$8 after 2 days and then lost it to some bad beats. Just managed the first 650 points after 1 week.

Have now moved to PLOmaha, there are normally 2 or 3 tables running at our evening time and have managed to start building my roll there. Will probably stick to this for a while.

Looks as though I only have 2 months to clear the bonus so will be spending most of my poker time at Mansion for some time to come. Raining today so no golf so should get some time in.

+$90 for the month to date, mainly Omaha.

GL all.

NakiMan
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      Some crazy stuff today. Lost some and won some, overall a profit (just)!

Had to post a couple of examples.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with K , J (Comment)
      UTG calls, Hero calls, 5 folds, BU calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3 , 7 , J (4 players) (Comment)
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, BU calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 5 (3 players) (Comment)
      UTG checks, Hero bets, BU calls, UTG calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 9 (3 players) (Comment)
      UTG checks, Hero bets, BU calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (Kc Jc)
      BU shows a pair of threes (Qd 3h)

Hero wins with a pair of jacks (Kc Jc)

So what did he think I had?

Preflop: Hero is BB with J , 3 (Comment)
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 5 , K , 9 (5 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, BU checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) J (5 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, 2 folds.

River: (5.50 BB) 3 (3 players) (Comment)
      Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and threes (Jh 3s)
      MP1 shows a pair of fives (7s 5s)
      CO shows high card ace with king kicker (Ah Qs)

Hero wins with two pairs, jacks and threes (Jh 3s)

And again!

Finally, you have to wonder about some people

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A , K (Comment)
      UTG2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero raises, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, UTG2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero caps, MP3 calls, SB calls, UTG2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (21.00 SB) Q , A , J (5 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, UTG2 checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP3 calls, SB calls, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) 8 (4 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls, SB calls, MP1 raises, Hero calls, MP3 calls, SB folds.

River: (21.50 BB) T (3 players) (Comment)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB

Hero shows a straight, ace high (Ad Kc)
      MP3 shows a straight, ace high (Kh 6s)

Hero wins with a straight, ace high (Ad Kc)
      MP3 wins with a straight, ace high (Kh 6s)

Any way, I’ve got them noted and hope to find them again!
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I saw a "NakmanAA" at NL4 yesterday on Mansion and thought it was you but he didnt buy-in for full stack so I doubt it.
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      No, not me, I went for a completely different name there. NakiMan was gone.
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      Haven’t posted for a while, been busy grinding at Mansion micro limits hoping to get enough points to clear the bonus.

Got away to a bad start, bad beats (and a bit of bad play) saw me down to $25. Fortunately it has now turned and am back up over $110 (includes $40 of the bonus) so not very profitable.

With a day off today (and raining) I spent some time at Mansion this morning (evening European time) and was amazed at how loose some of the play was.

Had a couple of interesting hands I thought I would share (a bad beat each way!)

0.05/0.1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4 , 4 . CO posts a blind of $0.05. (Comment)
      MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO checks, BU calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 3 , Q , 4 (5 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, CO folds, BU calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.00 BB) Q (3 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, Hero bets, BU raises, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, BU caps, Hero calls.

River: (12.00 BB) Q (2 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, BU bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.00 BB

Hero shows a full-house, queens full of fours (4d 4h)
      BU shows four of a kind, queens (Ad Qh)

BU wins with four of a kind, queens (Ad Qh)

This really p***** me off. I could see it coming on the river and managed to get out cheaply

But then later at N/L

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 , 4 (Comment)
      UTG2 calls $0.04, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, 3 folds, SB calls $0.02, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.16) 8 , 7 , 6 (4 players) (Comment)
      SB bets $0.79 (All-In), Hero calls $0.79, UTG2 raises to $6.36 (All-In), MP2 folds, Hero calls $5.57.

Turn: ($13.67) 8 (Comment)
      River: ($13.67) 8 (1 players) (Comment)

Final Pot: $13.67

Hero shows a straight flush, eights high (5d 4d)
      UTG2 shows a straight, ten high (Th 9d)
      SB shows a full-house, eights full of sevens (7s 5s)

Hero wins with a straight flush, eights high (5d 4d)

Calling the all in may have been a mistake, but it worked out well for me!

I see the naked boy is now playing at Mansion, I’m glad I don’t play those limits against that sort of action.

GL all.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Nice to see a bit of progress NakiMan! Don't worry that a portion of your progress is bonuses.. check out the rake you've paid and you'll see you not even close to recouping!

There is no shame in bonus whoring... even naked.... especially naked... :P

BTW, ugly suckout in the QQQQuads hand there.. you were beaten by any pocket pair 55+ at that point so check/call in that size pot is the best play.

It just hurts more when its quads!