Chow is getting back into the Poker saddle again.

• Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      Hi Everyone,

Some of you guys may remember my name, you may not, but I have been trying and quitting at poker since 2013 :f_biggrin: . I am here to throw down some more chips and start playing again.

About me:
      My name is Josh, I am 28, and I am currently live in Vancouver, Canada. I have a Master's Degree in Geophysics, but when the oil and gas market when down I had to find a new job, and soon was laid off, so I am back in school pursuing a Computer Science degree. This is me!

Now that things have calmed down I finally have some time to play and improve at poker. I want to start a blog to document my progress, so this will be the time where I finally break through at be able to play some damn poker! I have started and stopped quite a bit, but there are a few reasons why this time is different.

I am playing to improve, and not to win.
        I will work hard, and not be scared to make stupid mistakes.
        It is not about who is good, it's about who is left.
        Keep and open mind.

I started Brazilian Jiu jitsu about a year and a half ago, and it has completely changed my mindset. I am 150lbs, and I was thrown about and choked repeatedly, but kept going back. I made mistakes over and over again, but I kept going back. All I could do is work hard, not be afraid to look dumb, and critically look at what I was doing for constant improvement. Small steps: find a leak, plug it, and you're better that you were yesterday. Small steps over time lead to big improvements.

My plan
      One table NL2 Zoom on stars to make sure that I am going to stick this time. I have some really good study material, and I have been spending most of my time studying atm. All I am doing at this moment is trying to iron out a solid default plan. (No hands on anyone yet.) Once I feel confident I will add more tables and ZOOM out of NL2. The default plan imo is the best place to start, since I just started on nl2 zoom, I have almost no hands on anyone, so I will mostly be doing default.

Once out of NL2, when my BR is at $125. I am doing to make a decision on where to play, and if I will do regular tables, or fast fold. Personally, I really like Zoom, and I know table selecting is a HUGE +EV, but right now I just want to get good. I am not looking to make a living doing this, so stars might be the best in terms of skill increase without having the $$$ tilt me. We will see, winning is really nice too.

For a week I am going to focus on really trying to work certain positions, or areas for improvement, then move on to the next for a week, and continue doing that.

Right now I am using my amazing study material to get a general idea of how I want to play certain things, and then I will plug the resulting leaks.

Because people love graphs I will post a lot of those too. Right now I am just one tabling and I haven't really worked out a grinding schedule, so my volume is low, but I want to get as much out of each hand as I can at the moment to avoid bad habits. I haven't played very much, but the volume will go up once I am more confident in what I am doing. Here is a graph so far:

The thing that is surprising me most is the redline. It makes me wonder if I am value betting a little aggressively, not even 2k hands so only time will tell.

My focus for the week will be defending from the blinds. This was the area that tilted me so much back in the day, and I really just played fit or fold here, and it cost me a LOT of money, so focusing on this area first will help my confidence. I will post hands histories where I am defending form the blinds, talk about my reasoning and work on what my plan was, or should have been.

For homework I will also pick a flop, and try and construct various ranges for certain hands I would bet, check, raise as practice. I will try to do a few for cold calling pots, and 3b pots.

By posting everything in here I will be hopefully able to get a lot of different feedback and ideas, and hopefully plug leaks faster.

Excited to do this!!
  • 9 replies
    • Fozzy99
      Fozzy99
      Basic
      Good luck bud , hope you make it! Been researching a lot my self and looking to improve my game majorly.
      Hopefully see you on the felts one day,
      David.
    • Eatyourpeas
      Eatyourpeas
      Bronze
      This is gonna be good!

Following 100%, good luck...
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello Josh,

Welcome back to the forums :welcome:

Looking forward to reading future posts and subbed :f_thumbsup:
      Have you seen the Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!

Good Luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Gold
      Hey, nice first 2k hands! Let's hope it will continue and with the plans you gave for studying I am sure it will!

I am looking forward to your ranges on the flop, maybe you can give the flop you are gonna study in advance so that people following this blog can think about it themselves first. I would definitely like to compare my thoughts with a fellow microstakes grinder :)
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim128
      Hey, nice first 2k hands! Let's hope it will continue and with the plans you gave for studying I am sure it will!

I am looking forward to your ranges on the flop, maybe you can give the flop you are gonna study in advance so that people following this blog can think about it themselves first. I would definitely like to compare my thoughts with a fellow microstakes grinder :)
      That is actually a really good idea! I will post the flop now, write my solutions on paper and then post my solutions the next day. For those who want to post what they would do feel free to as well!

Here is my first homework:
      Hero Position: BB
      Villian Position: BU
      Pre-Flop action : Villian bets 3x
      Pre-Flop alternative action: Villian bets 2x
      Flop: Kh7d8d

Since I am working on default lines for now I will assume we have no info, but if someone else wanted to add more ranges based on reads I think it would be super interesting.

Pre-flop
      Cold Calling range:
      3bet Range:

Flop Action (Cold Call)
      Check/Call:
      Check/Raise:
      Donk?:

Flop Action (3 Bet)
      Cbet:
      Check/Raise:

Turn Cards I would Barrel (Cold Call):
      Turn Cards I would Barrel (3bet):
      (Will probably need to be general here)

Unfortunately I have been at school and working on homework since 7am (currently 9pm), so I think I am going to grind a bit in the morning. Will work on the homework tonight though.
    • Tim128
      Tim128
      Gold
      Hero Position: BB
      Villian Position: BU
      Pre-Flop action : Villian bets 3x
      Flop: :Kh: :7d: :8d:

Since I am working on default lines for now I will assume we have no info, but if someone else wanted to add more ranges based on reads I think it would be super interesting.

Pre-flop
      Cold Calling range: 22+, 87s+, T8s+, J7s+, Q7s+ K5s+, A2s - ATs, T9o, J9o+, Q9o+, K9o+, A2o - AJo (31%)
      3bet Range: Value: JJ+, AJs+, AQo+ (4.5%) Bluff: K2s - K4, Q2s - Q6s, J6s, 43s - 76s, 53s - 97s, 85s - T7s (5.5%)

The way it changes depending on the villain: If he's too nitty, some of my bluff 3bets get left out. If he opens too many buttons (and gives up to 3bets) some low suited aces and some extra suited connectors will go towards my 3bet range.

Flop Action (Cold Call)
      Check/Call:
      99 - TT, KQo - K9o, KQs - K9s, K6s - K5s, JTo - J9o, JTs - J7s, T9s - T8s, 98s, A8 - A7, Q8s - Q7s.
      Any suited diamond hand.
      AJo - A9o with :Ad:
      Total: 175 hands

Check/Raise: Value: KK, 77, 88, K7s, K8s, 78s (16 hands) Bluff: Ax of hearts, A2 - A8 with :Ad: (24 hands)

Which means I get to the flop with 371 hands, I c/c with 175 and I c/r with 40 so c/f would be about 43%

Flop Action (3 Bet)
      Cbet: JJ+ AK (not AK of diamonds), K2s - K4s not diamonds, :Ad: Q
      All suited diamonds
      96s, 65s, 54s, 64s all not diamonds

76 hands

Check/Raise::9d: :6d: , :6d: :5d: , :6d: :4d: , :5d: :4d: , :Ad: :Qd: , :Ad: :Jd: , K2 - K4 of diamonds, AK of diamonds

10 hands

Not really the best strategy as I don't protect much of my checking range this way, would have to think about this further... Also I don't have any strong value hands here except KK which I will not c/r because the board is too wet.
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      Here is what I worked out. I didn't really calculate the combos I defend with here, like Tim did, but it raised a lot of questions and I had to work out a lot of things. I am on a Mac so I do all my equity calculations in PT4 and I haven't figured out how to pick suits yet. I probably missed a few hands here and there but I think this is the general idea I have. I kept my full bluff range in, but I don't bluff 3b someone unless I have a few stats that say they can fold.

3Bet Range: JJ+,AJs+,A2s-A4s,K7s-K8s,Q7s-Q8s,J7s-J8s,T7s-T8s,97s,76s,65s,54s,43s,AQo+
      CC Range: 33-TT,A7s-ATs,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,98s,87s, ATo-AJo, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o

Flop Action (Cold Call)
      Check/Call: T9s, 9h8h, Ah8h, Ah7h, T9s, Jc9c, Js9s, QhJh, Ah9h, T9o, JT, TT 99, 66, 55, any diamond draw, Gutshot, BDFD with gutshot, Kd9d, any top pair,
      Check/Raise: 87s, Td9d, Th9h, Ad9d, Jh9h, Jd9d, JdTd, Qh9h, 88, 77, A high flush draw + BD straight or gunshot. Decent backdoor, but low cards, 6h5h
      Donk:??

Flop Action (3 Bet)
      Cbet/Call: AdKo, AdQd, AdJd, AKo, AA
      Cbet/3bet: KK, K8s, K7s (2 Pair and sets I think just get it in?)
      Cbet/Fold: 97s, T8s, QQ, JJ, J8s, Q8s, 7h6h, 6h5h, Qh7h, Qh8h, Jh8h, Th8h, Ah4h,Ah3h, Ah2h
      Check/Raise:Ad3d, Ad2d(?), AdKh(?), 7h9h
      Check/Fold: The rest.
      Check/Call: QdQx, JdJx (Even these seem vulnerable here.)
      (Mid strength hands that have draws covered)

Turn Cards I would Barrel (Cold Call): Cards that improve our equity, or miss Villans range, he will be betting with a lot of draws here. With value something like 9d, Jd would really kill out action. We will be barreling a lot of hearts, or cards where we pick up a draw from backdoors.

Turn Cards I would Barrel (3bet): Turn cards that improve my equity, or a turn card that misses his range. 2c, for example. It’s hard because this board is pretty draw. We want to lean towards double barreling in 3bet pots from population reads (From Microstakes walkthrough). I bet a lot of hands with backdoor hearts and straight draws, so I would be able to barrel a lot of heart turns.

Adjustments depending on the villain would be if he is passive I would probably throw away AK, AA to a flop raise

This board just happens to hit a lot of my bluff 3b range :X

(?) means sometimes or unsure

Some of these value hands have me a little confused about what I should be doing facing a raise in 3bet pots. I know it is really villain dependent. The SPR is kind of tough. On this board they aren’t so many face cards, so there aren’t as many 2 pari combos, so you’re facing 88, 77 (if they call with 77?), Draws with a gunshot and AK hands. Will have to do some equity calculations.

Going to fire up the tables and get some hands in. Again any feedback is much appreciated!

The next board I will analyze is: 3d4d5d
      BB (Hero) vs SB( Villian)
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      Well, Poker is a strange game. Some days it seems impossible, and others it seems gg ezy game.

I have been mostly studying to try and get a better general idea of what to do from certain spots, instead of studying really specific areas. As I advance I will get more specific. I have really been focusing on making the right default plays and adjusting as needed, but I only have a few tens of hands on someone at NL2 zoom haha.

I went through a bit of a rough patch where I was calling like a fish + run bad, but I am only at 2500 hands so I am not expecting to make any money for the first 10k hands until I get into a better rhythm. The past week and this week is going to be kind of busy, so I wish I could get more hands in but oh well. Better to learn at this point imo.

After this week I think I should have a better idea of certain spots, and will add a second zoom table.

I also have been running into this problem where I want to quit after I win, does anyone else get this? It's definitely -EV, so something I will have to work on mindset wise.

I am curious how you guys do BRM. When you have X number of buy ins for the next limit do you grind out 5 more then take a shot, or once you have 5 BI for the next minute take a shot? I watched a video on this and I am not sure how it was suppose to do it.

Let me know what you guys think. I just want to get a few k at nl2 first even though I could probably start looking to take nl5 shots in a bit my roll is around $100
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      Well it has been a crazy week. Three job interviews, a midterm, and a project all due. I have still managed to study a decent amount from videos and articles, but I have only played maybe 1k hands. I am feeling a lot more comfortable with the general tendencies for what to do in certain spots. I however still feel pretty lost a lot of the time, but having a default game plan really helps.

The next thing I really have been focusing on is value betting. I have found a leak where I am not really betting big enough with big hands, but i still worry about villain not calling. I still am not getting a lot of volume in, so I have been looking at videos, pausing and writing down my bet size and comparing it to the video, and seeing if the comment on their bet size.

I got flopzilla to run on my Mac, which makes self studying a lot better. I am really beginning to see how important it is to get an idea about what hands need to go into certain ranges based on a texture. I will be posting my homework in here again since it is much easier to do in flopzilla.

It's really hard to get an idea of opponents ranges on NL2, and my hand reading is kind of meh, so looking at the equity distribution from studying will hopefully help me get more on an intuition of what boards are good for me and what ones aren't.

Here is the graph even tho I don't think it is saying too much right now. I feel a lot more confident in my choices so that is a victory, this green line not doing anything isn't really upsetting me at 3.8k hands

So after this post I am going to start posting some homework of ranges for differant boards.
      I am also going to start two tabling soon.