New comp. suggestions?

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      Getting a new computer when my cash-out appears in my bank going to buy it online.

What i'd like is suggestions on what computer to buy (dont need a moniter)

Which can:

1. Handle large hand databases.
      2. Work the elephant.
      3. Cost no more than $500 [I know this abit small but you should see the laptop im using now... This is the top end I want to go as I only want to spend it with poker money (inc. shipping/ postage to the u.k.).]

Im sure that most of you here know more about computers than I do so any input is appreciated.

My only payment method is visa, can't be arsed to get moneybookers/paypal etc.

P.S. I dont want to build the computer, i'd have no idea what im doing.
  • 9 replies
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      give me a link to your computer shop and i will see what i can do :)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      Well I havnt chosen one yet, anything that accepts visa and ships to the uk is viable.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Your are not going to get much for your money for £330 if you want a monitor, mouse, keyboard aswell. Espically if you are buying a package, you could learn to build a pc for a lot less.
    • riv3rd4ncer
      riv3rd4ncer
      Bronze
      Isn't HaloWars meant to be an xbox360 exclusive?
      If not, what are the required specs for the pc-version? I can imagine you're going to need a decent gfx card to play it, and those aren't cheap.
      Apart from that, 500$ should get you a pretty good system these days i'd think.
      Still, if i were you, i'd wait a month longer & save up to 700$ or something. The difference will be well worth the wait imo.

If you're going for a package, (and i know many people will dissagree with me on this) i recommend microstar/medion systems. (MicroStar International = MSI)
      It's been a while, but back when i bought mine, i couldn't build the same system for their prices myself. (never had an issue with any of their products either...)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      your right its only on 360 didnt realise.. edited thread so yeh..
    • Pirokunn
      Pirokunn
      Bronze
      You need a good CPU (intel core2duo), enough RAM (1GB+) and a fast HDD 7200rpm or better OR if possible 2 identical cheaper 7200rpm HDD in RAID.

You dont need a good graphics card (you dont need one at all actually).

+
      I recommend the Logitech G5 mouse ;)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      can you tell me what "fast HDD 7200rpm" does pretty please :) and why 2 would be better.
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      you can build solid computer for that money, especially online (prices are way lower then in normal shops)

but since i dont know any specialized online shops that ship in uk, im gonna go for amazon

CPU:
      Intel E5200 Pentium Dual-Core Processor - 2.50 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, Socket LGA775, 45 nm - £61

MBO: Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L - Motherboard - ATX - iP31 - LGA775 Socket - UDMA100, Serial ATA-300 - £61

HDD:
      Samsung 320Gb 16mb cache Internal SATA II 3.5" - £52

PSU:
      Corsair VX Series, 450 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version - £60

OPD:
      Pioneer DVR-116DBK 20x Internal DVDRW Black Bare - £18

CASE:
      Coolermaster Elite 330 Black : RC-330K-KKN1-GP - £28

GPU:

XFX Nvidia 8800GT 600M 512MB DDR3 Dual Dvi, PCI Express Graphic - £95

-----
      TOTAL: £375

but, have in mind that u can get everything alot cheaper in specialized stores, i believe if you look at the right place it wont be more then £350

also, it is really useless to buy new graphics card, you can get used 8800GT for about £50
    • riv3rd4ncer
      riv3rd4ncer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pirokunn
      I recommend the Logitech G5 mouse ;)
      the guy has 500$ total...
      i'd recommend a 4$ mouse instead of spending >10% of his budget on something he doesn't need and that can always be bought later on when he has the money.

7200rpm is the rotation speed of your hard disk drive, which translates in the latency between the request and the acces. you want to go as fast as possible, but here again, price will be a factor and 7200rpm should definitely be enough for average use. (i'd rather have a bigger cache than faster rpm, btw...)
      2 disks in RAID will double your hdd transfer speed (normally around 1GB/s for a 7200rpm disk), or if configured differently protect you against data loss. (but forget about raid with 500$ budget)
      imo the average home user has much more benefits from a gfx card (doesn't have to be top line, and can also be purchased later if pc has on-board graphics) than from a raid system.

anyway, i think with your budget you're not going to have much of a choice.
      i've been looking at some prices for systems on ebay, and 500$ could get you a pc that does everything you need, but it will be basic.

also, if possible, don't buy an operating system. download instead and save the money for parts...