Need advice pls

• coiotstrivit
      coiotstrivit
      Bronze
      Hello,

My name is Alex and I started playing poker 40 days ago. Before coming to Pokerstrategy I was playing only freerolls and managed to win quite a few. Winning those FR's made me think at the possibility of going further with poker so through a friend I registered at PS (2 weeks ago). I received my starting capital at mansion poker dew to some problems with Pokerstars. I played SSS and made about 5 dollars profit then i switched to BSS and my current bankroll is 71$.
      My question is: What limits and what strategy do you think would be the most effective for a beginner like me? (need advice from your personal experience)

Thank you very much in advance.
      Best regards,
      Alex
  • 8 replies
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      Unlike many players at PS that can't stand SSS and switch to BSS as soon as possible I actually enjoyed playing SSS. You get a good insight on the basic and advanced game, you learn how the SSS'ers think and also about the math behind poker. I basically played SSS up to nl600 and now I'm switching to BSS.

I suggest SSS for at least couple of months because you can really get some experience without risking a lot of money. If you really can't stand SSS try BSS starting at nl4 and try to follow the articles, improving your game constantly.

And don't forget that bankroll management is the most important thing when playing poker.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Hy coiotstrivit.
      Not sure why are you asking this here. Isn't everything written in Bronze Strategy Section? Just follow those articles and you will be fine.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      hunt32, this is a question for you, in relation to playing SSS up to NL600.

May I ask how long it took you to move up the levels? I'm on SSS NL 10. I've been playing for about 2 weeks and, having got to about 15BI up at one point (30$), I'm now back where I started after a longish downswing compounded by some leakage from not applying SSS diligently enough.

Anyway, at the moment, it seems like months before I'll be able to move up to NL25 and I wondered if that's not unusual. I'm playing about 3 hours a day and 3-4 tabling as I mess up when I'm running more than that :) I'm beginning to understand why it's called a 'grind'...

What I really wanted to know was how you've kept it intersting over a longish period of time and what you add to basic SSS to improve your ROI.

coiotstrivit, sorry to hijack your post, but I thought it was a related issue - i.e. that temptation to play BSS because it somehow seems more interesting/profitable

Cheers,
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      It took me almost a year up to nl600, but first 9 months was basically grinding my way up to nl100 with basic strategy. Then I started to tilt and was sick of being basically breakeven.

I figured out that only good thing about SSS is winning money. So I started to play nl100 not more than 6 tables. Making small reads on people so I can know when to fold AQ, QQ or something like that.

In addition to advanced SSS and xarry's great coachings and videos I believe table selection became very important and made me a ton of profit.

I'd say that the most important thing is that you have a player that will call you at the table, you will have a really hard time against regular TAG's. So it's good to transfer you BR to some fishy platform, rather than one with good bonuses because those are full of TAGish grinders.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Very helpful, thanks, hunt32.

Is Party Poker fishy enough, do you think?

This is very nosy of me, so just ignore or sidestep if you like, but I wonder what sort of return you're able to make at NL600 using SSS?

Am I right that NL600 has a SB of $3 and BB of $6; in which case I guess one needs a bankroll getting on for $4k. And in which case, all I can say is well done you!

T
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      Yes Party Poker is quite fishy, they attracted some better players with new loyalty program but it's still quite nice, you can find plenty of fishes, especially between 23-05 CET.

Yes on NL600 BB is 6$, basically I was running between 1.5 - 2.5 BB/100 on NL200 and 400. And bit under 1BB/100 on NL600, but I don't really have a big sample size on NL600.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok, thanks.

Does 1BB/100 mean winning 1BB per 100 hands? Is that how RoI is usually measured in Poker?

Sorry for the barrage - just getting started, really.
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      RoI is for sng players and tournaments and bb/100 is cash game.