Quiz of the Week: SnG Post-flop Decisions

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Sit and Go's can provide both fun and action throughout their three main stages. Let's say you played your standard pre-flop game and you now get to see the flop. Maybe you have a great hand, maybe it has good potential or maybe it's just trash. Then what should you do?

Your hand, your position and your opponents' actions will influence your post-flop decisions, but if you believe you are not yet ready to take the quiz, read or re-read the article called Advanced strategies for the postflop play. Once you think you know what to do post-flop in an SnG, go right ahead and click the link below:

As usual, let us know how you did, what do you think of the quiz overall and if you have done something differently. Good luck!
  • 14 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      You don´t have the required rank for this action. :evil:
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      "You have achieved a total of 18 out of 30 possible points."

On the first two questions I disagreed with the right answer, though at the showdown my desicion would show a better result then the "right" answer.
      I also chose the "not wrong, but not right desicion" landing me 1 point instead of 3 points most of the time that was possible.

Im gonna give myself a few bonus points, because I did such great reads on the V in the first two. :tongue:

I agree with the quiz, because it tells me there is still room for improvement.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      You have achieved a total of 19 out of 30 possible points. This corresponds to 63 %!
    • Jesusitonsky
      Jesusitonsky
      Bronze
      I just achieved 28 points. but i disagree with the 9 Question, much times our opponent show us a made hand with that overbet, so i dont think calling is the right idea
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Not as good as I thought, but my actions would have saved us lots of $$ :)

I don't understand question 9:

"A fold with top pair appears too weak in this spot"

Appears weak to whom? Who knows we have top pair besides us if we fold?
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      q. 2,7,8,9 seem abit iffy to me..
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      You have achieved a total of 28 out of 30 possible points. This corresponds to 93 %!

Wow :)

I can't really understand the point of calling with A4o on freeplay where you hit your TP. If we think... if he wanted to steal the pot, he can easily bet something like 150-200 also but he is betting 300, a big overbet so he must have at least A with no kicker but I am putting him on two pairs or so, A2 or something. Risking with 300 chips, is it worth in freeplay if you only have top pair? I don't think so I wouldn't risk but I might be too tight also :P
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      I've scored 23 and I'm happy about that ;) . I called with A4o :) .
    • AzUdet
      AzUdet
      Bronze
      It seems the quiz is silver and above only. :(
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      Not as good as I thought, but my actions would have saved us lots of $$ :)

I don't understand question 9:

"A fold with top pair appears too weak in this spot"

Appears weak to whom? Who knows we have top pair besides us if we fold?
      From the glossary:

A player is weak if he plays poorly in general or is playing fearfully, avoiding confrontation and always looking for a reason to fold.
      Still, I do agree that this overbet on the river usually means "oh damn the opponent is not betting like I wanted, panic, panic, how do I get value on the river", in almost all of the cases, so I would fold there for sure.
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      where is ciRith? :/
      I hope he didn't miss this quiz :P
    • Moye
      Moye
      Bronze
      I disagree with some of the correct answers:

hand 2: I see value in this hand, because every A can call here. So I think bet/fold is the right play

hand 4: I think top two against 4 players isn't as good as it seems to be. if we push, we will only called from better hands like flush or set and we are crushed. so for me the only options are check/fold oder bet/fold.
      I think you should fold those hands preflop because they will not bring much value and only get you into difficult situations or decisions. even the odds are good preflop there are high reverse implied odds.

hand 8: I think both options are good and you should sometimes bet and sometimes check because of deception.

hand 9: I fold it without reads and think it's not too weak. we don't beat so many hands and the odds are very bad.
    • Cagey75
      Cagey75
      Bronze
      Why put it in here if only silver + can do it?
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Moye
      hand 2: I see value in this hand, because every A can call here. So I think bet/fold is the right play

hand 4: I think top two against 4 players isn't as good as it seems to be. if we push, we will only called from better hands like flush or set and we are crushed. so for me the only options are check/fold oder bet/fold.
      I think you should fold those hands preflop because they will not bring much value and only get you into difficult situations or decisions. even the odds are good preflop there are high reverse implied odds.

hand 8: I think both options are good and you should sometimes bet and sometimes check because of deception.

hand 9: I fold it without reads and think it's not too weak. we don't beat so many hands and the odds are very bad.
      I agree with all of this. I actually answered "correcty" on 9 but after thinking about it a little bit more I changed my mind. I can't see a hand we beat betting big here.

Hand 2 is the most weird in my opinion. Can you state a single hand which will bet the river but fold to our bet? I can't see a single one. I highly doubt there is someone floating you all the way to the river to try and bluff you there, mediocre made hand will check behind obviously because they will never get value if we tried to c-bet and 2nd barrel and only will be called by better hands.
      On the other hand I can see a weaker Ace or maybe even a 2nd pair like pocket tens or a 9 calling a small value bet here.

Hand 4: Why even bother to completing with such a hand? We 'never' hit big enough and if we do, we can either win mere 300 chips or loose a stack and that's exactly what is shown in this hand. If someone has a flush or a set of sixes, we are gone. If we are lucky we win those 400 chips which is like 1 orbit around the bubble where we can afford to wait for a hand instead of pushing there - not THAT much of a difference in my opinion.
      I learned that the advice from basic SNG strategy "just survive the early stage" is actually really good.

Hand 8: Well I guess it's possible to slow-play. But I hardly ever check when having initiative, I would certainly bet any pocket here and also AQ or basicly any hand I raised preflop and I'm not going to slowplay when I actually hit because I don't want to give away such a read.