Help plz, only $6.30BR left....

• calky444
      calky444
      Bronze
      Using SSS it seems I just always fail, today actually playing seriously I dropped from $25 to $16, and then in another session I dropped down to $6.30ish.

(playing on FTP NL10 btw)

I used poker tracker for the second section, what stats can I post for you guys to help me on?

For the second session playing four tables. Lost $8.85, from what I can tell I lost about $3.75 on hands that I raised. And the rest I lost $5 from folding blinds.

My vp$ip =4.41, pfr=4.1

What else shld I post, and what should I do now. I feel like I'm just unlucky... and I am following SHC pretty closely.
  • 8 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi calky,

I can't offer very much advice, only my sypathies. Over the last 3-4 days I've lost about 30$ playing NL10 SSS, so I know a bit how you feel.

I would say that at least half of that loss is just down to bad luck/downswing. However, some of it was definitely down to 'leaks' in my play. Small mistakes that didn't seem important at the time but added up to the difference between making a consistently (small) profit and a consistently (larger) loss.

I'll tell you these mistakes, just in case any of them apply to you:

1. Playing too many tables. At one stage I was playing six tables at a time and I realised I just didn't have time to make decisions properly. So, for example, if I saw I had a flush draw I'd often call a raise without properly calculating whether I was getting the right odds to do so.
      2. Limping in as small blind too often with mediocre hands. I would often think that, since it was only an extra 5c, I might as well pay to see another flop. The problem was not so much the small amount of money wasted but that if I happened to hit part of a flop, I would be tempted to invest more money and thereby lose more.
      3. Accidentally playing hands like A,J out of position. Again, because I wouldn't have enough time to check carefully what position I was in (because the table flashed up and I got flustered with everything happening at once) I'd often play these hands from middle or even early position and of course lost out.
      4. Making continuation bets when I'd missed the flop and then finding that if my opponent didn't fold, I'd end up calling or betting more because I couldn't stand to let the money already invested go.

My main suggestion would be to cut the number of tables you're playing right down, to just one or two. If nothing else that will slow the rate at which you're losing bankroll. It will also give you a chance to make sure you're following SSS to the letter (and not just pretty closely) and not losing any money due to mistakes, like I was.

My main observation from the small amount of time I have spent playing so far is that the margins with SSS are quite small. That is to say even if you play perfectly, you can't make huge amounts of money very quickly. What that also means is that if you deviate from SSS at all you run the risk of actually losing money.

Sorry for the long post - very best of luck!
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      If your following the charts and strategy 100% or close to, this is just varience but post some hands that u have lost on and the judges will evaluate them and try and find your leaks, goodluck.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      note that it's pretty much impossible to beat the rake with the basic SSS strategy on FTP NL10, that limit has 10% rake
    • martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      I would suggest study FL articles and watch some videos. After that try FL2 limit.
    • calky444
      calky444
      Bronze
      Thankyou all for the replies, I will attempt another session later and play 2 tables instead of four. I will clear a $5 bonus soon if I don't go broke so that will boost me up a bit.

Im hoping it was manily variance, that lost my money because for eg. probly around four times when I was all in preflop with a pocket pair and I was called with another lower pocket pair they hit there set and beat me (which is extremely frustrating when 33 beats AA) and this happened around four times over the two sessions).

Also like I said A lot of my loss was just from the blinds, so what should the average PFR be if you are following SHC correctly (so is my pfr of 4.1 too low? was I just unlucky and did not see enough hands this session?)
    • PacMakaveli
      PacMakaveli
      Bronze
      FTP just added micro-stakes today. lowest limit is $0.01/0.02
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      my advice: deposit $200-$300 and learn BSS
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      I lost a fair bit of money doing SSS. So with a hideous bankroll (about $50) I switched to BSS and played fairly carefully at first. Its going pretty well but I have had plenty of MTT experience. It really is a different game playing big stacks.

Makes money though. Hoorah! I especially love NL10 when someone pushes into my set with nothing at all. Crazy...