BSS - Kings

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Having some serious issues playing Kings. Essentially the problem is that we want to reraise any bets to protect but it seems all too often I either win a small pot or I get pushed by someone with Aces. Some of the time someone will donk off with QT or something but it seems more often than not I end up being isolated way behind?

How can I turn this hand into a decent moneymaker?

Can I consider not re-raising preflop and seeing how the flop progresses?

My current strategy with Kings is essentially to push as hard as possible preflop. How can I tell when to throw it away?
  • 6 replies
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Smileyphil
      Having some serious issues playing Kings. Essentially the problem is that we want to reraise any bets to protect but it seems all too often I either win a small pot or I get pushed by someone with Aces.
      This happens because you're 3betting too tight and everyone knows what you have. So they have easy folds against you.

Can I consider not re-raising preflop and seeing how the flop progresses?
      If both you and your opponent have 100BB stacks, slowplaying is not an option. You have to build big pots preflop to stack him. It's much easier to win his stack in a 3bet pot than in a raised pot. You also have easier decisions with an overpair in a 3bet pot than in a raised pot.

How can I turn this hand into a decent moneymaker?
      By including in your 3bet range hands like small pairs or suited connectors.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      I suggest to play it like the strategy articles advice and to post the hands you are unsure about. That should help you to play those Kings better.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      You serious about 3-betting small pairs and suited connectors? I thought that these hands were very dependent on a decent flop and that it is much better to get in cheap then get out if you miss?

I suppose I could 3-bet with AQ, AJ but then aren't I just getting myself into more bad situations?

Edit: I will post sample hands soon. I've never posted before so next time I am free for an hour or two I will work out how to do it.
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      You serious about 3-betting small pairs and suited connectors? I thought that these hands were very dependent on a decent flop and that it is much better to get in cheap then get out if you miss?
      Usually at microlimits you don't have to do this. But IF this is true
      Essentially the problem is that we want to reraise any bets to protect but it seems all too often I either win a small pot or I get pushed by someone with Aces.
      the other players fold very often when you 3bet. If you only 3bet QQ+ and AK you are readable to any decent player. And I didn't say to 3bet all small pairs and all SCs. Just enough to balance your 3betting range. If you 3bet a small pair you do this because you are semi-bluffing and you want your opponent to fold(or to stack him later when you do the same thing with KK). You don't look anymore for decent flops when you're bluffing, because you hope to make your opponent to fold his hand. With SCs I never call a raise preflop in a heads-up pot planning to play fit or fold. Most of the time you will flop a pair or a draw, not a monster. I think SCs are good hands to bluff/semibluff, not to play fit or fold with them. With PPs you can set-mine profitable if your opponent is weak. But if he is a TAG he will not pay you off often enough to make set-mining profitable.

I suppose I could 3-bet with AQ, AJ but then aren't I just getting myself into more bad situations?
      Of course you are getting into more bad situations. I would rather 3bet 62o than AJo. That's why it's better to have junk than AJo. With 33, if you don't hit your set, you can make a c-bet and then give up if he calls or reraise. With AJ you can hit an Ace and your opponent may play for stacks only with an ace with a better kicker(the aces with smaller kickers have folded preflop because of your 3bet), so you will be in a reverse implied odds situation on the flop. Same thing if you flop a jack. There aren't many hands that he will pay you off. If he continues probably he has at least an overpair.

Edit: Are you playing on titan? The games are very tight(and aggressive) there compared to other sites.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      I see what you are saying actually. I have always had issues with AJ, it seems when I do hit I am worried about committing to the pot (stacking people) because there are so many hands that are way ahead of the things I hit. However if I three bet with a pocket pair I have a double chance a) they might fold and b) I may stack them if I hit.

Guess I just have to be careful not to 3 bet every pocket pair.

What is our line of play if we are re-raised or if we are flat called and we miss the set?

...Sets are my favourite hand.

Edit: Playing on full tilt, I tried titan but found the screen windows to be hopeless. Full Tilt is much more user friendly as you can resize completely and you can have a seat preference. So much easier. A shame really cause I opened a nice bonus on titan but I just get confused when I'm playing so its hardly worth it!
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      What is our line of play if we are re-raised or if we are flat called and we miss the set?
      If someone 4bets fold. If he just calls, we can make a c-bet on the flop and then give up. But it's not mandatory to make the c-bet. It's read dependent. If you know he only calls 3bets with big overpairs to trap, you may play check-fold after he calls your 3bet.
      If your opponents start adjusting to your new 3betting range, then don't 3bet bluff anymore and wait for good hands to stack them.