"Old guy" spins for freedom

• mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Hi guys.

My name is Roy . I am not the best blogger out there but I would like too give it a shot.

As my topic says, I am an old guy :) 41 this year. I have been playing poker for 12+ years now. Never cared about studying the game before late 2015.

I have done some different programs on cash games, Hyper 6 max, HU Hyper`s and MTT`s. And I feel my game has been nearly there lately.

Lucky for me I was accepted into the SpinLegends Silver group and I was so happy and appriciate it so mutch.

This blog will be a bit of my ups and downs. Time management and maybe life in general. For information I have 2 kids, and are in a full time job as a Senior engineer. My dream for the future would be too be able too live out of poker and cut down on my engineer position. And have an early retirement and be able too play live events around the world.

When I started at SpinLegends I did make an schedule for how my week normaly look like.

My first 100 Spins finished today. I have been mixing the studying and playing quite well. I mainly play 1 table for the purpose of learning the game plan. Instead of rushing with the volume. The volume is still very small, but I have a good feeling for it. I know the variance will come. But that`s poker.

Cheers :f_drink:
  • 27 replies
    • Tumlex
      Tumlex
      Silver
      Hi!

Good luck with your journey!

I love your planning!

You shouldn't focus on your with/without showdown. It doesn't mean anything.

144chipsEV is just amazing! you are clearly in the right direction!

:f_drink:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Roy,

Welcome to the blogs :welcome:

41 old? When I was 41, I thought I was old. Now that I am well past that, 41 is young or I am ancient although my moderator colleagues call me a dinosaur.

Meet lazzasaurus rex

Have to agree with Tumlex, 144 Cev is sensational and it would be nice to maintain that as you continue on your journey.

Good Luck

Laz
    • mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Yeah I feel 20 in my head still so age is "just" a number as they say :f_biggrin:

I hope I can maintain it and get it higher, but that`s probably very difficult when the volume gets larger.
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      If you're old then I'm ancient and I don't feel ancient. Well, maybe in the morning when I get out of bed. Or when the weather turns cold and my bones are aching. Or when I have to squint to read the text on the Television. Or when I hear modern music on the radio. Okay dammit, so I'm old. What was the question again? :f_drink:
    • mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HennieP
      If you're old then I'm ancient and I don't feel ancient. Well, maybe in the morning when I get out of bed. Or when the weather turns cold and my bones are aching. Or when I have to squint to read the text on the Television. Or when I hear modern music on the radio. Okay dammit, so I'm old. What was the question again? :f_drink:
      Well when you have a family and you go to work min 8 hours every day, and has to do all the things that comes with family life, and you gain weight because you can`t take care of yourself as you used too. And you have pain in bones/muscles everyday because you exercised from the car too the office. Then you get the feeling of being "old" I understand there are other`s here that are older :) :f_drink:
    • mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Hi, I want to give a small update in this blog.

Yesterday I had a really bad day at work, we had some changes to our network and server the day before, and when I arrived to the office yesterday morning I couldn`t access our fileserver. I went into the server operating system and found out that this fileserver wasn`t running. So I tried to restart it. It the gave me an error. I called the IT guy that we uses and he said that it wasn`t very good. He asked me to check the backup and that had also failed.

At that moment everything in my head started spinning, I started feeling sick and got so afraid, I barely could/dare to press a button on the server or computers. We have 33503 files in our server, all projects etc for the last 4 years. My boss was on a work travel, so I imagined the worst case scenario. So if somebody ever have felt "tilted" this had to be 1000% worse then the worst tilt I have ever had.

But luckily we found all files and managed to do backup and restore the server again :f_drink:

If it hadn`t I probably would have needed to take a break from poker until my head was in the right place again.

Well enough about that. I have had some sessions with grinding and studying since I started this blog. And I want to share this with you guys.

This is todays sessions, My worst day when it comes to earnings since the beginning of my SpinLegends career. But this has to do mainly with variance. I feel I am getting it in good, but they suck out on me. But that`s ok. (well not always) But in the end I will get them.

I have played 190 spins now.

Cheers and have a good night everyone :f_drink:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by mrroy76
      I understand there are other`s here that are older :) :f_drink:
      You'll find a few at Who is our oldest PokerStrategist?.
    • Tumlex
      Tumlex
      Silver
      Losing data from work is a nightmare!! When I was a consultant, I had the data sync on two computer, a cloud server, and once a week a hard copy in a safe at the bank :s_smile:

People called me crazy, but I never feared anything about my data :f_grin:

your ChipsEV is still of the charts!!!! 90chipsEV is really good so yours is incredible! :appl:

You shouldn't look to often at your graph though. (I was looking at it every hour :facepalm: )

Coffeeyay said that we should look at it once a week MAX. I tried to look only once a day.. then two days.. etc.. now I'm at once a week :pokerface:
    • mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Coffeeyay said that we should look at it once a week MAX. I tried to look only once a day.. then two days.. etc.. now I'm at once a week :pokerface:
      Well I have always used the graphs to try and find leaks, if I have some big drops I could go in and review that period. Figure out if I deviated from anything compared to my game plan. But I agree that we shouldn't have focus on the results itself. But again this is different each individuals. For me it is often a big motivation factor too try and maintain consistency. While other`s may have a negative reaction too variance and they start too play worse the more the graph drops. And especially if it`s sessions after sessions with negative results.
    • Tumlex
      Tumlex
      Silver
      Have you try to mark hand with PT4 during play?
      Everyday I mark some hand and review them later.
      This is a good compromise to look at "big drops" without looking at result.
      Because even with the EV graph, in short term this is biased. You could go all-in 5 time with ATs vs AA and your graph won't be happy even if you made the right choice.
    • mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Yeah i mark hands all the time. Have all sorts of tags that fits the situation
    • mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Hi guys.

Yesterday I had one of live MTT`s that I use too participate in. It was an special summer event with BBQ, added prices etc. So the tourney attracted 65 players, 99,99% recreational players But many of them have played alot of poker, so there is a good mix. This is a cheap buy in(50$) tourney with kinda turbo format, 15000 Chips and 20 min levels. And for those who want`s there is a last longer side bet for 60$. I think that one had around 17-20 participants.

Like usually I rarely make any chips during the first 1-2 hours, the tables are kind of semi-loose, lots of limping and people make big pots quite early. So it`s about dodging those worst losses and remain a stack that can give me an decent double up when the time comes. I also have too say that I where quite card dead and every time I had a hand I never hit anything. Så after 2 hours I had around 10K left.

I got a table change and from there I managed too build a very solid stack. The turning point where a bit on the fishy side from me. I had JcTc in BB. 300/600. UTg2 makes it 2200 and there are 2 callers behind. I have around 11K so I decided too invest a large portion of my stack too see the flop. Flop comes 99K with 1 club.

I check UTG2 cBets 600 he gets 1 caller + me. Turn is 8c,I check he now makes it 2200 again. The other folds and it`s up too me. At this point I am thinking about call or fold. If I call and misses I have about 6K left, I am quite sure that he has me beat at this point, no question about that. But I can`t let this hand go. So I decide too call. River is 6c, and I go all in directly. And he then says, did you fish for the flush now, offcourse I did is my response, whatelse would i just be calling you with. Maybe a good King, a 9 or QJ. So this is the stuff I really enjoy in live poker. The psycological aspect. Well he calls. and he has Q9os From there I basicly dominated the table, and I where building my stack quite fast by putting pressure and getting paid off by players who flops top pairs with bad kickers vs my top pairs with good kickers, draws where they can`t fold, where i 3barell like 50/70/70(all ins)

On the final table I had the biggest stack, and I had full control until we came 4 ways and I made an call against BTN an all in shove.I had AJs he had KTos and the board came with T high. Got quite short and in the end I did a push with AJos against the same person who called 9BB with K4s and the 4 came on flop and I was out in 3 place. I don`t complain, it is a turbo and I had a couple of hands myself where I was behind but took them down. I won the last longer and cashed 1150$ while the 1st place without lastlonger where 900$.

But it would be fun too have a back too back victory (won there 2 weeks ago)

What I am most proud of regarding live poker, is that I have been crushing lately, In the last 11 tourneys from 9 man-117man I have 5 last longer victories, I have 4- 1st places, 2- 2nd places 2-3rd places and 1 buble exit. So hopefully I will maintan this form and I hope that I will do a good job at the national championship late this year.

Here we are 6 handed, I have about 350K blinds are 6K-12K and there are 950K chips in play. My AJ vs KT was against the guy in tricolor shirt when we where 4 handed.

• mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Hi guys, a short update on my Spin & Go journey.

Saturday and Sunday I hadn`t the opportunity too play according too my plan. My son had belt graduation in has Tae Kwon Do club, and there where long day with training etc before graduation. But I am going too have an short vacation from wednesday, and I will take those hours back. I also did some more playing then my plan earlier in the week. So it`s all good.

I have found the Spins too be very interesting, before I joined SpinLegends I purely played them for fun, and didn`t have any plan behind my plays (well when a big multiplier came I offcourse played them as good as I could)

I have done 300 now, and I am very satisfied with my results, besides one of my last hands I made a big misstake that chopped 5 points of my chipEV I managed too missclick all in with 63s 3 ways, I won the pot and the game. But gave me -5 well misstakes happens.

Here are the graph. :f_drink:

• mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Well then I reached my first 500 spins at $0.25 very satisfied with my overall performance, I have learned alot and are open too more learning too get better and too be prepared for what higher limits will bring of challenges.

• mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Hi guys, Sunday fun day :f_drink:

Personal life

This week i found out that I am going to be a father again, so it will be my third child, It`s quite a big gap between them, My daughter is 19 this year, my son is 10, and now this one will be given birth to in november this year probably. I hadn`t really planned for this situation, I have always said that 2 is enough. And that I don`t like to be to old when I get children. I want to live life when I get older.

But I am happy, but I need to get used to the thought of being a father again :) My girlfriend is happy and my kids, so it will probably be a good thing. :f_thumbsup:

Poker

I moved up to $1 and have played 300 spins during the weekend. I am somewhat not pleased with my own performance. I have to say that I had a stretch from around my 120th game to 210 where I lost alot of all ins where I where ahead. But that`s pokah. and my last 15 games where somewhat bad, some bad run outs and some bad plays from me, probably time to take a break for tomorrow. My head isn`t there after several hours of grinding.

My chipEV is probably good, but I am not satisfied at all with it. the last 15 games it dropped 15 points, and I had it at around 125 for a while. I am not sure how everything is calculated for the chipEV, so i need to read about what defines the stat. But offcourse bad decisions , cold calling, marginal calls, etc impacts this stat.

• YakuDzen
      YakuDzen
      Gold
      Originally posted by mrroy76
      Hi guys, Sunday fun day :f_drink:

Personal life

This week i found out that I am going to be a father again, so it will be my third child, It`s quite a big gap between them, My daughter is 19 this year, my son is 10, and now this one will be given birth to in november this year probably. I hadn`t really planned for this situation, I have always said that 2 is enough. And that I don`t like to be to old when I get children. I want to live life when I get older.

But I am happy, but I need to get used to the thought of being a father again :) My girlfriend is happy and my kids, so it will probably be a good thing. :f_thumbsup:
      Mrroy,
      Congratulations!!! I remember time when I know that I gonna be a father) I was so happy, precious moment indeed!
    • mrroy76
      mrroy76
      Bronze
      Short Update:

I have now played 500 spins at 0.25 and 1, I started at 3$ today and I am going to play 1000 games. I guess I would be able to do that in about 10 days or so. Friday and sunday this week will be a bit less grinding then I had hoped for, but I will try and compensate for those hours tomorrow and saturday.

I find the spins very entertaining and I cant wait until I learn even more then I have done the 2 last weeks. And hopefully in near future I will start using an HUD and try to extract some more info from the villains.

Well here is my graph from the beginning to now at my SpinLegends journey

• YakuDzen
      YakuDzen
      Gold
      Awesome stats!
      Greate Job!
      Good luck!
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Very nice graphs and work ethic mister! Cheers for your newborn child!

Looking at your journey is very motivating, you played some high volume in those days! Ill see you at the 3s soon, hopefully!