Making 100k in [s]Thailand[/s]Vietnam, at nl50-200

• Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Time to start a blog again and use this forum a bit more. Having a blog is sort of a responsibility partner to achieve my goals.

For the ones that don't know me, a lot probably since i've not been posting a lot for a few years now.
      Years ago i was a coach and active member of the dutch forum, hence my postcount.
      Always used poker to pay for my student fees, partying and some small stuff like clothes etc, now i want a house. :f_drink:
      But that's quite hard if u've fallen behind the curve(atleast i think).
      I just finished my studies and now have a couple of months in thailand to play as a 'pro'/fulltime. So last month i played ~160h, but it was mainly bumhunting. I don't see much longevity in that really. Also my brain is tilting when i get sucked out a couple of times a day, so my net profit is down the drain.
      So the plan for the coming time is to mainly take on zoom, it's easier to start sessions and i see more longevity in this format than bumhunting these lowstakes. On higher stakes i would go and bumhunt more again i guess.

And because people like to see graphssssss, here's one from when i just got in thailand and was bored in the hotelroom. nl10clickaments

It's hard to put down an hourly goal for this month, had a holiday in between, only on 20hrs played for the time being. 110 total will be my goal with 13 days to grind left(2days off)
      Combining nl25z and NL50r at the time, since i was on a 1.5k downer before my holiday.
  • 103 replies
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Okey played my 7hrs already today, Pool seems rather fishy. Going to play another 10k hands on nl25 before moving up to the nl50 pool.

Won 6BI in 4.2k hands and another 50$ on untracked sites.

Lost a 300bb pot where a guy 4bet/calls ATs vs my AA and flops a flush 150bb+ deep :o

Grinding zoom does make me realize you need ALOT of volume to grind out the variance. I avg 700h/hr /w zoom, punting of 1 stack takes ~3hrs to recoup /w a 5bb winrate, even more if u make less.
    • deskcompmedion
      deskcompmedion
      Bronze
      good luck!
    • pepan47
      pepan47
      Bronze
      Gl , i follow you
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Thx for the follows, appreciate it!

About today: Back home i never played in the weekend, to busy meeting friends etc.. Such a waste money wise because the games are so juicy in the weekend. Most other regs also play 5 days a week, so they're offline in the weekend, making the reg/fish ratio alot better. + more people are drunk.

Hrs played today: 8
      BI won on zoom, 8.5
      Hands today: 5.5k on zoom +1k regular
      Won today: roughly 500$
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      That sounds like a tough goal to win 100k, but good luck with reaching it with playing ZOOM :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Hey hallo sdk, leuke postcount :f_thumbsup: :f_ugly:

Played 7hrs today, last hour i took a 'shot' back at nl50z, which greatly backfired, lost 4BI in <15min. 3 times my Aces got cracked. Shit happens tho.
      One maybe could've been avoided, but it happened like 2 hands after the other one, think my brain wasn't in the present moment and still at the other hand, making me play it bad which cost me another stack.

Lost about 200-250 today, mainly on NL50, so in bb's it's not that much.
    • pepan47
      pepan47
      Bronze
      How many BIs do you use for nl25?
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      As a US player who hardly ever drinks anymore: I, too, like to sit down and do some nice table selection on the rec sites right around prime drinking time. It absolutely never fails. You can always tell you're at the right table when three other players can't shut up and then you see someone show another "who's boss!" and shove pre with K6s.

Who says the micros can't be fun? Free big blinds are free big blinds.
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Varune,

Awesome blog and I wish you all the best of it.
      It would be great if you shared some Thailand pics and stories. Where are you located now? Is it a grind house?
      I am coming over for 1 to 2 months as minimum next time but I am strongly considering extending my stay to something like 6 months or even more permanent. Would like to talk to you more about you experience and plans over there, perhaps we will meet next time I am there.

All the best!
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pepan47
      How many BIs do you use for nl25?
      Alot :D , I moved down to NL25 for a while to regain confidence in my game. I was already rolled for nl50.. My pokerroll and liferoll are kinda merged here in Thailand, it's so cheap here that it's really easy to have 6months+ of rent. Whereas in the western world you need much bigger buffer.

Originally posted by TakingAShot
      As a US player who hardly ever drinks anymore: I, too, like to sit down and do some nice table selection on the rec sites right around prime drinking time. It absolutely never fails. You can always tell you're at the right table when three other players can't shut up and then you see someone show another "who's boss!" and shove pre with K6s.

Who says the micros can't be fun? Free big blinds are free big blinds.
      Guess the US Sites are even worse across all limits :D

Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      Varune,

Awesome blog and I wish you all the best of it.
      It would be great if you shared some Thailand pics and stories. Where are you located now? Is it a grind house?
      I am coming over for 1 to 2 months as minimum next time but I am strongly considering extending my stay to something like 6 months or even more permanent. Would like to talk to you more about you experience and plans over there, perhaps we will meet next time I am there.

All the best!
      Hey ivicalliev, Love your blog aswell :)

I'm currently in Chiang Mai near the Nimman area. Renting a condo(<400eu/month) with swimming pool and everything with another pokerplayer. So yea it's a minigrindhouse in a way. ;) I've been here since april and intend to stay till september, so ~5months. I got a degree that expires if I don't put any hours in that workfield and a GF back home so 2 big reasons why i can't stay. Otherwise i probably would. My housemate is staying longer, he says he would want to meetup :p

If you plan to stay for a couple of years you could look up thailand elite visum, costs ~13k euro and lets you stay for a full 5years, instead of having to do visaruns every 2/3months. (which cost a few 100euro and atleast 2 days= grinding days)

Update for today;
      Woke up an hour later, really couldn't sleep well so slept a bit longer. The badrun i had yesterday, the goodrun i had today.
      Chased a whale down on NL100 and stacked him. :) Also played some NL50z, 2BI up there. 1 guy that overplayed his Flushdraw bigtime. and another reg that missclick jammed A9s vs my JJ, which was nice. :)
      Played only 2.5k-3k hands today, mainly regular tables
      Hrs: played 7.5
      Won about 450$
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Only played 4hrs today. We forgot to buy new internet last night so we had to wait till the shops open. :D
      We play on our own mobile hotspots as the "highspeed" internet here is so shit, it often disconnects, if it does in the middle of a pot mobile internet is already worthwhile.

Played a bit of NL50z, think it's easily beatable. haven't played that much there again yet, but i see some regulars making the biggest range mistakes possible. Or playing in a 2012 fashion.

Weekly update since tomorrow is our day off.
      Played around 20k hands on zoom, made a slight profit /w a 9.71/100bb winrate on nl25z, 2BI down in 2k hands on NL50z, so you do the math. Won around 1k total last 7 days across all sites, which is ok for a NL25, bit of nl50 adventure. (and 1 whale on 100) :)

Lets see if i can sustain that winrate from the smallblind :f_rolleyes:
    • pepan47
      pepan47
      Bronze
      Great job, would you put some SBs hands with your a toughts on this blog.
    • Pannekoekk86
      Pannekoekk86
      Silver
      Hi Varune,

GL with youre blog and making the 100K.
      I'm also dutch but my graph really looks the opposite of yours.

Maybe i need a coach :f_rolleyes:

deffently follow your blog.
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      @pepan, here's a small hand for you ;)

Preflop i could 3bet, but if he 4bets it's a bit awkward and i'd have to fold given stacksizes and perceived ranges. So i call, which looks best to me, folding is too tight.
      Postflop sort of plays itself, when he checks back i'm ahead like 90% of the time, he'd probably cbet flushdraws and stronger Ax. Turn gives him alot more equity if he holds 1 spade. So we bet for protection/value.
      Think river is an important spot, most people would say, our hand improves, which it does, but relative to his range it's still the same hand. So i opt on the smaller side of ~55% to get alot of calls from weak Ax or pp's like he did now.
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $58.18 (116.4 bb)
      BB: $47.43 (94.9 bb)
      UTG: $130.04 (260.1 bb)
      MP: $33.50 (67 bb)
      CO: $35.84 (71.7 bb)
      BTN: $57.30 (114.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Th: :Ah:
      2 folds, CO raises to $1.50, BTN folds, Hero calls $1.25, BB folds

Flop: ($3.50) :2s: :As: :2h: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($3.50) :7s: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.22, CO calls $2.22

River: ($7.94) :Tc: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.50, CO calls $4.50

Results:
      $16.94 pot ($0.85 rake)
      Final Board: :2s: :As: :2h: :7s: :Tc:
      Hero showed :Th: :Ah: and won $16.09 ($7.87 net)
      CO mucked :Qh: :Qs: and lost (-$8.22 net)

@pannekoek, That graph is ofcourse a super variance upswing from the sb. would be sick if it stays that way :)
      I'm still in the middle of upgrading my game, testing new stuff etc. I might consider giving coaching again when i'm back grinding steady on nl100
      Don't know what stakes and winrates you're playing tho :)
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Smallish update: Yesterday was our day off, so the night before we went out for some drinks. Met with this other guy we saw one time on Koh tao, which was pretty random, but he was a cool guy. Went bowling for 3-4eu per person for 3 games(lolcheap). Back home it's about 15-20eu per hour per lane. Oh well, after that was finished we went to the crazy part of town. Loi kroh road, which basicly is "MASSAAAAAAAGE" "WHEREEEEEEEE U GOINGGGGGGG" for 1km of road. Until you get to the, what i refer to as 'THE ARENA'. it's a small sidealley with 20 beerbars, with lots of 'massage'-girls basicly all molesting you while you walk past them.
      Soo after that we went to club spicy, one of few clubs open past 12'o clock.
      All in all a fun night, yesterday hungover as fuck, i'm getting older. Focus this morning wasn't all that great either, managed to put in a BE session, will play another one in an hour. :)
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      'What's up guys, Varune here.'

Soo my 2nd session of the day, ran quite bad, EV had to catch for some earlier sessions. :) , bit down on NL50z, also because i have like 0 stats on the regulars so from time to time i'm way off in my handreading. Thinking he's aggro, while 100 hands later his stats go down to 11/8.
      After our GYM session, in a prehistoric gym, (the machines are barely working), we went to KFC(IF&IIFYM Lifestyle), kinda hard to estimate calories in all the thai food corners, they all use so much oil. and i bought some new allstars for <40eu, yaycheap, and yes they're not fake.

PS: Tomorrow is weekend, #fishfest.
      Youtubemode: If you like this blog, give it a thumbs up and comment below. /youtubemode.
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze

Fish on a heater and sausage.
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Update timeeeee:
      Haven't played alot last 2 days, got sick so my focus was way off. Not much to say about that, played 4hrs yesterday+day before in total.
      Today i felt alot better, still slept a bit longer for some recovery, so only 5hrs today. But did win like 300, recoveryupswing ftw.

thai update: spent 4.25eu today on everything. this country is so cheap. what this includes is: 3 outdoor meals, some cookies, 1,5l zerocoke and 6 1,5l waterbottles. Have to go in lockdown more often.
    • pepan47
      pepan47
      Bronze
      How is weather? How do you solve visa? Gl and be fit soon