Nutsonaflop - My journey (hopefully) through the microstakes

• nutsonaflop
      nutsonaflop
      Bronze
      Hello!

Welcome to my first ever blog. English isn't my first language and not even second, but I'm trying to make the blog as enjoyable to read as I can. I'm not much of a writer but the reason I am starting to write this blog is to improve my mental game. I see this as a way to control my tilt losses, because when I have to update my progress here for everyone to read, it would be too embarrassing to update that I played 5 10$ spins to get my losses back but ended up busting my roll. :f_rolleyes:

A little something about myself. I am 21 year old man(boy), electrician, I have girlfriend (who is not too supportive about my poker playing because it takes too much time:f_biggrin: ) I have played poker not so regularly for about five years now mostly for fun and the thrill of it. Last few months I've started to take it more seriously, actually study the game, read some poker articles, Blackrain's blog, watch some videos/streams and I think that I have pretty good fundamental knowledge, but the hardest part is to try to execute it to every decision I'm going to face at the tables.

-I have no software so it's impossible(?) to provide graphs about my game
      -I'll keep you updated about bankroll, my game and post some interesting hands
      -Starting bankroll 52.30$ (at 888poker)
      -My goal: 1000$ Bankroll
      -shots at NL5 with 15 bins
      -Going to start with 6-max Cash games NL2
      -Occasional MTTSNGs (max0,50$), Maybe even MTT now and then
      -3-4 tables at once
      -Stoploss per session/day 5BINS
      -Also first time using proper starting hand chart looking something like this:
      Raise from any seat: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AKs, AKo, AQs, AQo, AJs, AJo, ATs, KQs, KQo.

May raise or call from any seat: All pocket pairs 22 through 88, all suited connectors from 78s to Qjs, and all suited gappers from T8s to KJs. QJo.

Call or raise in late position only: Suited connectors 45s through 67s, suited gappers 46s through 79s, Ax suited, ATs, ATo, A9s, A9o, A8s, A8o, KTs, KTo, K9s, K9o, K8s, Q9s.

Any suggestions to improve this are higly appreciated!!

My weekly goals:
      -Try to play 2-3 hours per day, 15-20 hours total this week
      -Study at least hour per day
      -Start reading Blackrain79's ebook Massive profit at the micros
      -Watch at least two videos about improving mental game

My long term goals
      -Being able to purchase pokertracker4 through my poker winnings (if someone knows how to get a good deal on one of these, please inform me)
      -Move up the stakes first time
      -Read at least 3 poker books
      -Convince my girlfriend that poker isn't actually that bad of a hobby unless it starts to affect your financial wellbeing :f_biggrin:

As I am pretty much a rookie, every kind of feedback more than welcome, since most of you have lots of more experience than I do and I'm really motivated to learn more every day. Even though I'm mostly writing this blog for myself, hopefully someone reads this every now and then and gives me suggestions to improve my game.

Good luck at the tables everyone! :f_drink:
  • 12 replies
    • nutsonaflop
      nutsonaflop
      Bronze
      Allright! Time for the half-a-week update :f_biggrin:

Starting bankroll: 52.30$
      Current bankroll: 61.32$
      Profit/loss: +9.02$

I've managed to play more than I expected, 4600 hands and just under 14 hours of playing. Been mostly 3 and 4 tabling since I'm trying to have enough time to make the best decision every hand I play. And because I don't just yet remember my ranges. Downloaded trial of Hand2note so I can show some graphs. Here is what the graph looks like:

The red line is just the worst. Any suggestions how to fix it?

Right now I'm on the good side of variance and feeling good about my game, and actually surprised that I have not been too bad because I'm still on rookie level.

There is my profit/loss per position. At first I was playing way too many hands from SB, and losing lots of money. But now I have studied and fixed that leak by getting good cold call ranges from every position, against every position raises. Thanks to w34z3l's 6-max coaching video "Preparing for takeoff".

Hand of the half-a-week:

888 Poker - $0.05 NL2 (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      50BB is max buy in at 888 NL2

SB: 39 BB
      BB: 50 BB
      CO: 56.5 BB
      Hero (BTN): 189 BB

Pre flop: (pot 1.5BB) Hero has :As: :Kd:

CO folds, Hero raises to 4BB, SB folds, BB calls 3BB

Flop: (8.12BB) :7s: :8c: :Ks:
      Hero bets 6BB, BB calls.

Turn: (19.58BB) :8d:
      Hero checks, BB checks

River:(19.58BB) :9c:
      BB bets 41 BB and is all in, Hero calls

BB showed :8h: :5c: 96.5BB
      Hero mucks :As: :Kd: and lost

I instacalled, was almost certain about missed spades, because he checked the turn. Just should fold these without reads.

I'll update this whenever I feel like, at least weekly update will be posted.

GL at the tables! :f_drink:
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      I, too, am working on improving my red line right now. If I increase it even just the slightest, I'll have the winrate to move up a level soon.

There's an entire series specifically focused on improving your red line. Caveat: Gold+ subs only.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi guys, welcome here and especially welcome to the Bankroll challenge!
      I would not worry about redlines. Why? Because maybe you face stupid aggression and have to let go hands on low limits.
      Or maybe it is even simpler: Do you want to win? Yes. Would you jeopardize 1 or 2BB/100 just to have a "cool" redline? Probably not. It is important to work on an overall sound gameplan and then bring your game forward.

Good luck in the challenge,SvenBe
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SvenBe
      I would not worry about redlines. Why? Because maybe you face stupid aggression and have to let go hands on low limits.
      I've considered this, too. Good point.
    • Jordyvde
      Jordyvde
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by TakingAShot
      Originally posted by SvenBe
      I've considered this, too. Good point.
      Also, people on micro's Dont fold alot. Especially not at 2nl so Its Nothing weird IMO
    • nutsonaflop
      nutsonaflop
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input guys! I dont worry about it too much anymore, at least not yet because I'm making decent progress :f_biggrin:

Played last 2 sessions even 6-tabling and both sessions were profitable :f_love: First post I stated that I would take shot at NL5 when I reach 15 buy-ins but I think I'm going to grind up to 20 bins and start taking shots because I'm not yet too confident about my game.

Time for the first weekly update:

Hands: 9149
      Starting bankroll: 52.30$
      Current bankroll: 79.00$
      Profit/loss this week: 26.70$

Graph of the week:

Profit/loss by position:

Still losing too much from the SB :f_cry: From other positions I guess I'm playing decent

My weekly goals:

-Try to play 2-3 hours per day, 15-20 hours total this week/ completed 24 hours total
      -Study at least hour per day/ 6 out of seven days studied at least hour
      -Start reading Blackrain79's ebook Massive profit at the micros/ completed read the whole thing
      -Watch at least two videos about improving mental game/ failed

New weekly goals

-Watch 2 mental game videos
      -Post at least 3 key hands to hand discussion forums
      -Start working with 3-bet ranges against every position

GL at the tables everyone :f_drink:
    • nutsonaflop
      nutsonaflop
      Bronze
      Hello! Second weekly update time :f_love:

Graphof the week:

Hands: 10962
      Few freerolls, cashed one for 0.30$. Also got 3$ cash bonus for completing some sort of challenge
      Starting BR: 52.30$
      Previous BR: 79.00$
      Current BR: 101.15
      Profit/loss this week: ]+22.15$
      Profit/loss total: +48.85$

Weekly goals:

-Watch 2 mental game videos/ maybe half completed. Listened over 2h podcast about mental game
      -Post at least 3 key hands to hand discussion forums/ Failed big time 0/3:f_cry:
      -Start working with 3-bet ranges against every position/ Failed no excuses

Week started off not so good but managed to recover from it fairly decently(still suck at mentally adjusting to downswings) Managed to put decent volume and bought my gf Sims 4 so I get to play whenever she wants to play sims :f_cool: Also I manage to get somewhat 2-3 hours basically everyday, sometimes even more. Also had first shot at NL5 and I am just about 1 BIN up there because there wern't many NL2 tables going at 888 today. Felt confident playing NL5 also. Still have to get used to the bigger pots and more money on the tables but feeling great atm :f_love: Still lots of work to do with my red line but I dont know how to start studying about improving the red line. Still not too concerned about it because fishes at micros rearly fold. Maybe should stop bluffing so much.

Now when my bankroll is above 100$ I'm gonna have a 5 Bin shot at NL5 only, now been mixing NL2 and NL5. Feel excited to move up the stakes :f_grin:

New weekly goals:

-Not to fail my shot at NL5
      -Make decent 3-bet ranges to Equilab
      -Do a proper hand history review

Until the next update!! GL at the tables :f_drink:
    • nutsonaflop
      nutsonaflop
      Bronze
      Just had to write. My first shot at NL5 ended in ONE NIGHT!!! I'm just so freaking disappointed and feel like I should play never again I played so bad. Bad beats also of course but even more bad plays. My motivation is zero. Might take day or 2 off and study a shit ton. Now I'm gonna grind my BR up to 125$ at NL2 if I ever get there and then tru again at NL5. Hopefully I'm gonna get my motivation back because now I'm feeling like shit but I still recognize that these downswings happen. Have to just keep grinding.

Cheers
    • DedoMassivo
      DedoMassivo
      Bronze
      Hey!
      I'm also a rookie, probably a bigger one! Enjoying the blog so far...

About the NL5 shot you shouldn't worry too much about it, you have capped the Buy-ins for 5 and lost those. Now do you think that the 1st and 2nd Buy-ins were bad play and variance or good play and variance? What about the 3rd, 4th and 5th? Maybe you have already thought that you shouldn't have continued playing after those 1st and 2nd, feeling increasingly insecure playing bigger pots...

About this:
      Now I'm gonna grind my BR up to 125$ at NL2 if I ever get there
      Even if you feel comfortable playing NL2, if you go to the tables after losing that important amount of Bins with that mindset you will probably tilt after the first 2 or 3 bad beats. Now it's probably a good time to watch those mental game videos! I would suggest doing some exercise pre-session, just some push-ups or a walk so blood flows a bit better to your brain and you feel more energized and motivated! Give meditation a shot, I'm trying Fedor Holtz new project "Primed Mind" and it's a nice experience, look at the Play Store on your phone if you have Android.

Anyway, I too have tilt problems and feel that especially at the beginning of my sessions (when I'm not in the Zone yet) I used to get so tilted that the rest of my session would be shit because I fucked up. Since I started taking care of my general well-being I feel a bit better when I'm playing, but it's a process though and some days it's just hard to bear with variance and bad play...

Good luck man! Don't think in $, think in BB's!

Cheers!
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Bronze
      Hi, I confirm that shots can suck a lot and you shouldn't let that hit you.

When I missed a shot at NL5-10 I was tempted to wonder if I was a fish or what... but I saw friends playing badass and missing shot at NL50-100-200 and I understood that it's part of the game. You shoot again and again until you aim. Sometimes it's quick sometimes not. That's poker.
    • nutsonaflop
      nutsonaflop
      Bronze
      First of all, thanks for your opinions and advices guys. Appreciate them a lot.

Now do you think that the 1st and 2nd Buy-ins were bad play and variance or good play and variance?
      Luckily when I logged in I found that I only had lost 4 BINs. Balance was not updated after I furiously shut down the tables. :f_biggrin: First BIN lost was my KK vs villains QQ went preflop all-in. He of course flopped the queen. Second was my trip aces vs villains full house. Should have folded 34.5BB river bet because I knew I was beaten, if not by the full house, then by better kicker because I was with A2. One was my set of sixes, vs villains rivered flush. Again should have folded to river re-raise. One was my trip Jacks against a straight. Again should have folded to river re-raise. These calls were made in a tilt and should have stopped playing.

Now it's probably a good time to watch those mental game videos!
      Agreed! :f_biggrin:

I would suggest doing some exercise pre-session, just some push-ups or a walk so blood flows a bit better to your brain and you feel more energized and motivated! Give meditation a shot
      I'm gonna try this excersise thing. Hope it helps. I'm not a guy who sees himself meditating but maybe even more terrible downswing I should propably give it a shot.....

When I missed a shot at NL5-10 I was tempted to wonder if I was a fish or what...
      Going through this thought process atm.... though my motivation is not so down that it was yesterday. :f_thumbsup:

You shoot again and again until you aim. Sometimes it's quick sometimes not. That's poker.
      I will!

And I deposited 20 bucks to partypoker since its the only site that my account is tracked by Pokerstrategy. Might update how things go at partypoker too.

GL at the tables! :f_drink:
    • Arnusen
      Arnusen
      Bronze
      3 weeks later, do we get any update?

I really wanna know how much you could work out of it?

greetings