This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR (SSS) 6,7s FD, Gutshot, and 2 pair draws

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      UTG+2:
      $6.70
      CO:
      $1.99
      BU:
      $1.85
      MP2:
      $1.85
      Hero:
      $1.94
      MP3:
      $3.65
      UTG+1:
      $3.94
      SB:
      $2
      BB:
      $14.15

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 6:heart: , 7:heart:
      UTG+1 calls $0.10, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, 5 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.35) 5:diamond: , 3:heart: , 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.40, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $0.20.

Turn: ($1.15) J:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.44 (All-In), UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: $2.99

I know the original call is loose and certain to incite invective as a SSS play. Also, the turn call looks a bit suspect now I think about it :( Given that, any thoughts about subsequent play. As a limper, I'm putting villain on s/thing like A,6o or K,Qo (don't know whether that's reasonable, though). It feels like I have a lot of outs after the turn:
      any heart (9) another 6 or 7 for two-pair (6) and any 4 for the gutshot (4) = 19, less (1) for the 4h, so 17 or 18 outs if my maths is reliable. And I guess my 2-pairs draws are no good either, since one of them is on the board. Oops.
  • 5 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

Pre-flop: Yes, your call is not standard and not advisable in SSS as it is definitely -EV. Better to save your BBs for an aggressive play at a proper time.

Flop: Here you do not have outs to call a $0,20 bet, and even less to raise him! Unless you are absolutely sure he will fold.

Turn: Don't ever count a pair if it is on the board. You don't have any outs for two pair there. You can count FD+Gutshot at most.
      As played, I would only call his bet on turn and bet river if I hit something, you have max 12 outs here and your FD cards are pretty low. The pot odds are less than 3:1 if you push.
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      wowowowowo, what exactly were you doing there??

fold preflop, this is SO -EV

fold flop, you dont get the odds to call and raising with 6 high is totally not recommended..

on the turn you can call for your flushdraw and gutshot, but why do you RAISE??

pls read some basic articles and play accordingly! :)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Quite right. All criticisms are in order. Except that... I have read all the basic articles (I promise :) , and surely there is a difference between consciously deviating from a good rule of thumb and not knowing about a rule of thumb in the first place?

That said, I accept this was a poor play and that I just got lucky.

One more question though. You asked why I raised after the turn instead of just calling. The reason was that I considered the minraise by UTG+1 might have been an attempt to represent he was holding a 3 (based partly on previous play). By raising I thougt that I was perhaps creating some fold equity?

Could you explain (or point me in the right direction) when - if ever - it is correct to play draws aggressively?

Thanks,
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      You are right, its always about FEQ :)

I just think that in this specific hand you dont have a lot.....he bet/calls the flop and bets the turn again...the turncard didnt change much and your stack is small....bet/fold doesnt make sense for him imo :P

Especially when you can make a huge +EV call (like here for these great odds with tons of outs), a raise is quite unattractive, because you already have a great option (call)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks Ingol - that makes sense.

p.s. Cheers again for the great coaching on Friday :P