100BB down on 2/4ct

• Kreatief
      Kreatief
      Bronze
      Hello,

I am playing poker for some weeks now, and I cant get it to work.

The first weeks, I went down to 3,X$. Then on three days up to 7,7$. And now its going down. I lost 100BB. And I dont know whats going on.

I always thought, it would be easy to manage the microlimit, its emberassing for me to lose at that level, where everyone else goes up and up.

What I did so far:

I read the whole beginners section several times, part of the intermediate section as well. I am just reading WLLH, with parts of it twice. I have heard alot of coachings, I posted hands of myself, I read nearly every post of example hands.

Here my statistics of the last 2000 hands. I know they are not representable, but I dont have another chance to get the whole stats, although I havent played many more hands than 2000.

2000 hands played and saw flop:
      - 45 times out of 232 while in small blind (19%)
      - 128 times out of 231 while in big blind (55%)
      - 205 times out of 1537 in other positions (13%)
      - a total of 378 times out of 2000 (18%)

Pots won at showdown - 65 out of 130 (50%)
      Pots won without showdown - 67

I am playing on two tables most of the time, and I feel really comfortable that way. I am sticking to the SHC ALL the time!

I dont want to cry to loud, but its a bit strange that I play for weeks now on this micro limit, and I am just losing all the time, although I am doing alot for it.

DKT
  • 12 replies
    • Stargoose
      Stargoose
      Bronze
    • Kreatief
      Kreatief
      Bronze
      Success favors the prepared mind

Where is that from? I like it, cause it fits so good to poker!

As for your answer: Thank you. I guess I do understand what you wanna try me to tell. Although its hard, my main goal the next time will be, to detach myself emotionally from the game, just as you said. I think that this might help the most.

I think, I will write down my daily experiences concerning my emotions and feelings during a session, to control myself, and see if this helps me.

DKT
    • Stargoose
      Stargoose
      Bronze
    • Kreatief
      Kreatief
      Bronze
      Hehe.

Cause I dont like the way the german board gets overflooded, and because I nearly always write english when I am in the inet. Its a little practice, and I dont need one hour to check all the new messages when coming back to the german board after ten minutes ;)

DKT
    • Stargoose
      Stargoose
      Bronze
      True ... lets enjoy the silence as long it remains ... :D
    • Kreatief
      Kreatief
      Bronze
      To get back to the topic again:

I was thinking about one point along time:

I am working all day, so I just have 1-2 hours a day to play poker. Since I am playing on microlimit, and mostly two tables, I just play about 100-200 hands within a session.

I noticed that this is mostly a reason for a negative session. And as I remember brockies words, for him, 200 hands, is no session at all.

I was asking myself if it does make sense to play that short sessions. Of course, if you are lucky, you can win more money with such a short session than with a long one, but mostly you need some time to win the first hands.
      The next point is that I mostly play in the evening, 18-20 o'clock. This is truely the worst time to play poker, and I notice that all the time. When I win some sessions on the weekend, I nearly always lose all that money and more during a week.

What do you think about short sessions, do they make sense?

DKT
    • Stargoose
      Stargoose
      Bronze
    • Kreatief
      Kreatief
      Bronze
      Thank you very much Stargoose,

I will keep that in mind, and try to do what you said.

DKT
    • lendarker
      lendarker
      Bronze
      I'd like to add, the only real "bad" factors about ultra short sessions would be:

a) Are you really "in the game" with your mind? If you squeeze in fifteen minutes of poker because there is nothing else to do, you might end up not playing concentrated enough, thus losing money where you might otherwise not have.

b) Blinds - if you play short sessions, you usually want to get in the game immediately, and post the BB right away and play. This is a monetary investment that you have to make every time you begin a session, unless you wait for the BB to come around to you.

The latter is something I'd personally recommend. For starters, you save that additional investment (it's just a single BB, but then, money is money), AND you get to watch the table for a few games, until the BB comes around to you. If it starts near you, I'd even suggest waiting a full table round until you begin playing.

You'll have a much better feel for the current playing style of the table, maybe pick up some chat that might tell you who's currently on tilt, who keeps calling, who enters the flop with rags over and over. This is information you will find valuable when you actually get dealt in and put your own money up against these players.

Play your solid game, but do not neglect the human factor. Get as much info as you can. See who keeps winning, and mark them with corresponding notes. If you find two or more such players, find a new table BEFORE EVEN GETTING IN THERE.

Sure, you might win. But then, you'd probably win more against a table with no or only one such "good" player (relative to the average player on your particular limit). As is said in the beginner section: you want to play when you have an advantage, and leave when that advantage dissipates.

Hope this helps.
    • LastEmu
      LastEmu
      Bronze
      It's really hard to get notes after a single orbit.

In the history of warfare, God has always sided with the strongest force
      Or something like that... If you are truly going about this the right way, luck will even out over time. 2k hands is short term, just put it out of your mind.
    • rhoedell
      rhoedell
      Basic
      i just want to add, that u should think about continue to play at two tables.
      from my own experience i can tell, that i started to early with playing at two tables.

it strongly divides your attention. betting habbits of your opponents, and a general image about a player is a lot harder to get when u are only watchnig half of the time.

every time i won a good chunk of money at these tables, i was like: hey, now i double my earnings by playing at two tables. but it doesnt work like that. i wasted money being too aggressive without paying attention to my opponents.

imho u can only be a grinder, when playing at multiple tables.

Especially at small stake tables, there are both: real fishes, and pretty good players. so sort em out in your mind, and act accordingly. this is not very easy in the beginning of playing poker, but its essential to become a good player.
    • LastEmu
      LastEmu
      Bronze
      I don't think 2 tables really distracts you THAT much, unless you're playing short handed. It becomes obvious who the fishes are, and who the real solid players are. Also, since it's 2-4c, it's not like you have to be really tricky to win. Just make good, high percentage plays, and work on your postflop skill. I actually get less focused on 2 or fewer tables, causing my mind to wander.