If it were easy, everyone would do it

• Tomohawked
      Tomohawked
      Bronze
      So, here I am, writing my poker blog. I’ve been meaning to start it for a while now. I’ve put it off because of one reason; I prefer to play poker instead.

Why start it now? Well, I’ve had a few days stay over in Downswing City. The reasons for this are probably down to a few bad beats. This then, inevitably means Mr. Tilty enters the room and starts to give ludicrous advice in the form of an itchy trigger finger. I then start to make far too many wrong decisions which leads to more advice from Mr. Tilty. I’m afraid that if I have another case of the tilt. I will lose what I’ve built in a relatively short time frame.

I have generally though, been playing preeeetty, preeetty, preetty, pretty, pretty good (Yes, I’m a Curb Your Enthusiasm fan). Here is the pretty graph to prove it.

Now, before I start moving up the limits. I want to become an even better player.

To do this, I will use this blog to keep track of the goals I’ve set for myself. As you all know, it’s a good way of recording our accomplishments as and when they are reached. I'm hopeing it will keep me motivated aswell.

First of, my short term goals are:

• Learn not to tilt
      • Attend the NL coachings
      • Watch all of the NL videos again
      • Burn the pot odds & outs chart into my brain
      • Read and study all of the theory again and again

Once I've managed this lot I'll:

• Get hold of the license for PS elephant (& then learn to use the stats)
      • Think about switching to shorthanded
      • Start moving up the limits

I'm currently playing NL5 with the BSS. NL10 is just around the corner as soon as I reach my target of $300, that is. I will of course be posting some of the more interesting hands that occur while I grind away.

Wish me luck, Tomo :D
  • 6 replies
    • MaHnaK
      MaHnaK
      Bronze
      Hey nice to see another microlimit blog. I will keep an eye on it ;) .
      Well what's your bank roll, as i see in graph, you must be somewhere above $200+. I am wondering why you are still spending time NL5. What's ur BR and how many hands have u played till now?
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Nice Blog...........you gotta try NL10, you seem to have NL5 pretty much sorted!
    • Tomohawked
      Tomohawked
      Bronze
      Hi MaHnaK & andyb43 I've played around 50k hands so far, since I downloaded Elephant anyway. My BR is around $260. So another $40 or so and I'll move up to NL10. I could try it now but I think having 30 BI's or more is a safe BRM.

Being so close to the next limit could be the reason why I'm more prone to tilting. As the money means less, so maybe I should just move up now and start playing my best game again...

p.s. MaHnaK, I hope it's not a microlimit blog for long ;)
    • Tomohawked
      Tomohawked
      Bronze
      During the month of Feb I've been working on my new BR on mansion. I've tried some 6-max NL5 tables to see what the play is like. It's much more fun as you’re involved in a lot more of the action. This seems obvious now but I had to try it for myself. I made a small profit too. I'm not sure how much though. It might have been because I was on the beginners tables, I don't know. It was a small sample size, maybe a few thousand hands, that’s all. I will try more in the near future as I see these 6-max tables as the catalyst for developing my poker skills.

I'm much more comfortable playing FR for now so that’s where I've been building my BR for mansion. I've only cashed one $10 bonus so far but I’m closing in on the 2nd.

MANSION ROLL: $170 (+$120 14000 hands)
      TITAN ROLL: $260 (+$7.50 bronze freeroll)

It's done this to the graph.. :D

I've managed to stop making stupid calls when I know I’m beat. So far at least anyway, the graph has clearly benefited from this.

BADBEAT CORNER:
      I suffered the worst beat I've ever encountered last month. It was poker situational heaven when the cards were flipped over, followed quickly by the worst possible outcome. I didn't go tilting though as I didn't give myself the chance too. I switched it all off within a few nano seconds...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4.98
      MP1:
      $2.34
      BU:
      $4.87

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 6:spade: , 6:heart:
      UTG1 folds, Hero calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, BU raises to $0.10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.08, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($0.25) 7:diamond: , T:spade: , 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BU raises to $4.77 (All-In), Hero calls $4.57.

Turn: ($9.79) 7:spade:
      River: ($9.79) 7:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $9.79

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, sevens full of sixes (6s 6h)
      BU shows a full-house, sevens full of tens (Kh Th)

BU wins with a full-house, sevens full of tens (Kh Th)

I know my next step has to be NL10. I’ve been putting it off up until now as I keep thinking the worst will happen and I will destroy my BR. It’s irrational I know, its still poker just with slightly more money involved. So I have and will continue to play NL10 from now on.

BR BOOSTERS:
      This next hand confirmed to me that some of the players on this limit are just as bad and love to stack off pretty light...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.99
      BU:
      $9.90

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:club: , 8:diamond:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.40, SB folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) T:club: , 8:heart: , Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BU raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $5.00, BU raises to $9.50 (All-In), Hero calls $4.50.

Turn: ($19.85) T:heart:
      River: ($19.85) 4:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $19.85

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, eights full of tens (8c 8d)
      BU shows two pairs, queens and tens (Ac Qc)

Hero wins with a full-house, eights full of tens (8c 8d)

I only play 15-20k hands a month so I've decided that updating this once a month will be enough.
      Thanks for reading, Tomo
    • HannesNL
      HannesNL
      Bronze
      You should shove the last hand for less FE and more value ;)

NL10 is still really easy, NL25 is more or less 50/50 the half is regular, the rest is donkey. NL50 is still doable.

But what an amazing graph, really. respect!
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Indeed nice graph. Today is exactly one year since you joined here ;)