[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR (SSS) - A,6o freeplay - top pair, top kicker

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      CO:
      $3.90
      MP2:
      $2.14
      MP1:
      $12.58
      BU:
      $10.40
      SB:
      $1.74
      MP3:
      $14.34
      Hero:
      $1.65

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , 6:club:
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) T:diamond: , A:heart: , K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.18, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $0.43

Again, is it alright to have a stab at this pot given the fortunate flop? This is really embarassing that I'm not sure, but am I right that I can count the K on the board as my kicker? :rolleyes:
  • 4 replies
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      .... but am I right that I can count the K on the board as my kicker? :rolleyes:
      Only if a T comes on the turn since A7o is still ahead of you after any non-T/K on the turn.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Tim64,

As played, well I change the betsized towards potsized to maximize fold equity but I really recommend you to learn the basics (preflop raise -> cbet etc. etc.) first and then focus on freeplays

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

I think it's fine to take a stab at the pot, but I'd fold against any resistance.

And you cannot count a card on the board as your kicker, remember that all players in the pot also have the cards on the board. So the K isn't a kicker, the highest card in your hand will be the kicker when another player also shows an A. Unless, as Nunki said, another pair comes on the board so that your kicker will not be counted in as the 5 cards of your game.
      But, if a low pair such as 22 comes on the board, but villain holds 33 for instance, you're dead. So as a rule of thumb, don't count with kickers or pairs, or trips that are on the board!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Dandycal,

Thanks as always for putting me straight :)

Nunki,

See what you mean about A,7o beating me.

Hi Gerv,

I promise I've read and pretty much understood all all the basic and bronze SSS articles. (although obviously I still have my moments :rolleyes: . My difficulty is that I don't seem to learn much when playing strict SSS, because all my decisions are automated. So sometimes it feels like my only opportunity to learn new skills is on the freeplays. Promise I'm not trying to be deliberately akward...