Open-fold low pp's sh?

• Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,
      I'm looking for some explained opinions about what to do with low pocket pairs preflop.

I know a lot of people - including myself - advocate to always open-raise pp's from any position. I say 'including myself' because I do this as a default.

But in the following scenario I might differ from this default action, and I would very much like some other peoples opinions about this:
      The game is nl sh. Let's take a range of 22-77 and assume we're first in. We are out of position against one or two decent aggressive opponents that know how to use their position and try to (semi)steal-raise and float a lot in position. But when they still encounter aggresion on the turn and/or river they know they're beat and usually just give up whenever they're stealing. They cold-call or 3bet our preflop opens a lot. Our position is UTG-MP.
      With a low pp like this we're basically gonna flop a set or gonna be bluff-cbetting on the flop. The majority of the time we will simply have to let go of our hand when we didn't flop a set and are raised or called postflop.
      So my question is: Will it be more profitable to just open-fold or open-raise these low pp's in cases like this?
  • 3 replies
    • Balanarm
      Balanarm
      Bronze
      I never open fold pockets, if I am UTG with 22 and there are 3 agromonkeys 3betters squeezers behind I limp it, otherwise I raise, limping is good play sometimes.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Balanarm
      I never open fold pockets, if I am UTG with 22 and there are 3 agromonkeys 3betters squeezers behind I limp it, otherwise I raise, limping is good play sometimes.
      You got me thinking about that limping. I don't think it's a good play in general, but if the players behind you are overly aggressive and too stupid to realize you're sethunting it might be a very good play :) . And those players are at my stakes:D .
      But I also just realized my question was really one of the stupid kind, because if you don't think you can handle the guys to your left, then what the hell are you doing at that table??
      (Somebody delete this thread plz :P .)

It did make me think though, because I probably need to do a better table selection. I can't stand it to have to go on a waitinglist. So generally I just down on one of the few open seats and aim for tables where the biggest pots are played. Gonna do some research about table selection:) .
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      I am raising.

1. we take the blinds preflop pretty often
      2. we disguise our utg range
      3. small sets are difficult to see for opponents
      4. we can take the pot down on the flop
      5. vs good opponents we can multi barrel in good spots.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar