[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Fr (Sss) Aa

• wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Im a total beginner and I just found this forum. I hope you can tell me where I went wrong with this hand.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $8.14
      BB:
      $5.32
      UTG:
      $2.15
      Hero:
      $1.75
      MP1:
      $8.33
      BU:
      $1.85

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A:club: , A:spade:
      UTG calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, 3 folds, BU calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.60) 4:diamond: , Q:spade: , 5:diamond: (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $1.65 (All-In), MP1 calls $1.65, BU raises to $1.75 (All-In), 3 folds, MP1 calls $0.10.

Turn: ($5.75) 9:club:
      River: ($5.75) T:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $5.75

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ac As)
      BU shows a pair of queens (Qd Jh)
      MP1 shows a flush, king high (Kd 3d)

MP1 wins with a flush, king high (Kd 3d)

I called 10 because if I raised I was afraid everybody else would fold. Was this my mistake?
  • 9 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I would say yes, that was your mistake. The problem is that by only calling before the flop you don't make it expensive enough for your opponents. This means they are more likely to call you with marginal hands. Hands that could get better depending on what cards are dealt. The other problem is that by only calling (instead of raising) you're not announcing "I've got a good hand". Because of that, when you actually do need people to fold to your raise -- because now you need to prevent people seeing more diamonds -- no one believes you have a real hand because you only 'limped' in.

In this particular example, your opponent had two diamonds. Because you made it cheap for him to see the flop, he decided to take a chance. Well, on the flop come two more diamonds. Suddenly your opponent (who before had nothing) now has a chance to make a really strong hand -- a hand that will be better than any starting hand, even 2 Aces. So he takes another chance and calls your raise and he gets lucky.

Of course, we all want to maximise the value of our good starting hands. But if you only call i.e. 'slow play' them, you are always going to run the risk that someone calls you and gets lucky.

The standard bet would have been $.40. That would have greatly reduced the number of people seeing the pot with you and therefore the number of ways the cards could reduce your 2 Aces to trash. It's very unlikely that the villain would have called a 4BB bet with only K,3s.

Hope that makes sense. Now just watch: someone else will explain it twice as well as I did, in half the words :rolleyes:
      Good luck!
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      thank you so much for your input!

im very new to poker! (only playing since january!) and new to short stack strategy! my problems are that I dont fold away trash hands and i sometimes call with hands that are not on starting hand chart like A10s or AJ in early position :(

do you know how many hands 1 person is allowed to post in the forum to get them evaluated??

thanks again for your help. I thought i made the mistake by just limping in, but i did this to prevent everybody folding and me just taking the blind money :(

it backfired
    • TroubleMaker23
      TroubleMaker23
      Bronze
      you are allowed to post as many hands as u want... so post more and more xD
      and keep reading the articles, reread if u have time, im rereading the basics at the moment... to get something that i may have lost...
      and welcome to PokerStrategy and to SSS
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I don't think there is a limit to the number of hands you post. But it's good to post each hand separately to make commenting easier.

Also, make sure you return to your posts from time to time, to see whether one of the expert hand judges has given his opinion - not just patzers like me!
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      This is really great I learn a lot from everything. Im going to reread the basics as well. I still have sooo much to learn..

Thanks for both your comments, I will post more hands and wait for a judge to give their final say on this hand.

I think I should have raised to bring the least number of people with me to the flop :(
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Greetings and welcome to our forum wowadvisor,

The others have already explained everything well enough to you. A judge will always take a look at your hand, regardless of other players having already commented on it.

And yes, always post each hand separatly.

Good luck!
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Hi wowadvisor,

first a warm welcome :P

2nd raise preflop and feel free to post as much hands as you want, it will help you learn the game and improve your skill faster.

Best Regards

Ysessa
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Thank you very much ysessa! I should have raised preflop, i see now :) Thanks again :)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Limping with AA in UTG1 can be done but you are looking for a raiser behind you. When it comes you re-raise the raiser and hope to get re-raised back, ending in all in.

If you do risk a limp with rockets be prepared to let them go. In this case though you did the right thing with limped AA on that flop and just got busted by a donkey call. It happens - be happy, not sad, because that donkey will now call down all in on other flush draws and miss. Anyone who wants to bet me even money on their 38.7% chance to win is welcome :)

I dont know what the QJ guy was doing calling. I do know id love to play poker against 9 of him.

edit - to be fair to the flush caller, if he put you on Q-kicker then he gets 3 outs for his K, which would put him at just over coin flip, but your raise screamed "set or overpair", so im not sure we should credit the K outs ;)