Bankroll Management and Variance

• cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      In theory, I have had some objections to bankroll management. If one is willing to redeposit, isn't his or her bankroll effectively the size of the poker site bankroll plus whatever could potentially be deposited, thus allowing higher limits to be played, giving that a sustainable positive winrate is possible there for the given player?

Following this, I have lost many bankrolls but also won much more in the long run, allowing me to pay off my loans and pay for college this year (all thanks to (PokerStrategy.com!) Is this a reasonable way of looking at bankroll management provided that funds are available if a poker site bankroll was lost?

On another note, more directly related to Sit and Gos, I have started playing the $3.50+.30 super turbo 9-man sngs on Full Tilt. They are donkfests, but, at the same time, they are also variancefests. Given that I only have the funds currently in my account available, when should I move up to $7.00+.50 buy-in sngs? I know that the number suggested by the articles would be fifty buy-ins, but both variance and winrate seem to be higher here, which may or may not increase the chance of losing a given number of buyins on a downswing. I anticipate the answer to be within the range of 30~100 buy-ins, but I am looking forward to any input from the community here, given that it is backed by logic and reason.

Thank you.
  • 5 replies
    • onezb
      onezb
      Bronze
      Of course, your bankroll consists of the total amount of money you are willing to risk at a poker table, including your 'offline' bankroll. However, most people are not willing to risk their personal savings at a poker table and therefore only their pokerroom money counts towards their poker bankroll. But that is a completely individual decsision :)
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Your theorie on bankrollmanagment is correct, but is has some disadvantages:

-You can be a losing player and lose big sums of money online. N/O, but your story about going broke a few times and yet still having a big profit sounded strange.

- rising through limits is a great way to learn the game. Don't make the mistake of overestimating your skill. If you follow BRM you're able to rise through limits fast enough if you're a winning player.

But if you're confident you will beat the higher limits AND have money to back up that claim then why not? I'll never deposit a dollar to play online, but there's nothing wrong it.
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      if I was u I would I would find a new site and deposit alot of money $1000+ and take advantage of the deposit bonuses. TThen u can play higher limits.
    • cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ovechkin91
      if I was u I would I would find a new site and deposit alot of money $1000+ and take advantage of the deposit bonuses. TThen u can play higher limits.
      I just did at pokerstars, taking advantage of the $250 bonus on a $1000 deposit they are running this week.

What I mean about losing bankrolls is that I have deposited, for example, $50 and lost it playing with $5-$10 buyins, but I have also relatively quickly reached cashouts over $1000, which is why I am up so much. When I first started playing, I took the $50 starting capital, followed perfect BRM, and worked my way up the limits before cashing out several times. This has allowed me to always be playing on profit, and I have never and will never risk any of my money that was not won from poker.

Also, does anyone have any input regarding the superturbo SNGs?
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      superturbo sngs I would not play if i was you