13%
      Total: 23 Votes
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Greetings!
      In our next episode of
      The Final Boss of 3BETS! (Coaching Thread)
      We'll look at calling 3bets
      So I dove into the shark infested Stars Microstakes waters to get some hands for our coaching to see how you guys play!

Opponent Unknown here, looks reggy judging by the line of course

$0.05/$0.10Zoom No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars6 Players
      Stacks:
      UTG DooM LvL ($100BB) 100bb
      UTG+1 Hero ($107.5BB) 108bb
      CO Iarlei ($135.2BB) 135bb
      BTN shnur221087 ($106.8BB) 107bb
      SB N-V-V1995 ($107.2BB) 107bb
      BB TMMG ($101.5BB) 102bb
      Pre-Flop: (1.5BB, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1 :Tc: :Th:

1 fold, Hero raises to 3BB, Iarlei raises to 9BB, 3 folds, Hero calls 6BB

Flop: :8c: :2h: :4s: ($19.5BB, 2 players)
      Hero checks, Iarlei bets 12.5BB, Hero calls 12.5BB
      Turn: :9s: ($44.5BB, 2)
      Hero checks, Iarlei checks
      River: :Qd: ($44.5BB, 2)
      Hero checks, Iarlei bets 29BB, Hero:
  • 10 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      I think villains range has quite some Qx hands so wouldn't bet here. We wouldn't probably get called by any worse hands anyway.
      I played with my ranges and checked what hands I have to defend here to be unexploitable and since UTG 3bet calling range is tight, I would end up calling this with JJ,QQ and probably some combos of TT.

So this hand I would probably just flip a coin and decide, but in the poll I voted fold :)
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      I don't think we can call this hand. We are in the last street and villain is betting here on quite a drawy card plus there is a high card involved. Many combos with a Q are in villain's range so I tend to fold here.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      If you call with JJ+, then you are "nearly balanced", which should be more than enough at NL10. Shoving would be interesting, and he'd surely fold most Qx.
    • Fanko
      Fanko
      Silver
      Very easy fold imho, especially considering his sizings. You do not need to be balanced on 10NL.
    • la55i
      la55i
      No we don't need to be balanced at NL10 but if we are not balanced we are 1) exploiting villain 2) being exploited by villain

So now we have to figure out if villain bluffs here too often or too rarely. Hero's line looks weakish, he checks twice and that Q might be a good card for villain to represent.

So, when you say it is an easy fold, then you believe villain would rarely try to exploit hero's weak looking line?
      I'm not so sure about that. And that is why in this spot I prefer to play more balanced than overfold.
    • BingoWings
      BingoWings
      Bronze
      I think villains value range is going to be like KQo possibly QTs that was a preflop bluff and QQ+ that slowed down on the turn and now going for some river value.

The rest of his range is going to make up some sort showdown value range with some hands like A2s A4s that have a pair and AK will have some sort of showdown value so likely checks river back, . It's hard to pick much pure air in villains range apart from maybe a couple of combos of wheel aces that might of checked back a gs ott . I voted for fold.
    • BingoWings
      BingoWings
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Shoving would be interesting, and he'd surely fold most Qx.
      Ye i agree its an interesting option and one i don't use anywhere near enough. I mean the only hand in villains range he really plays this way and can call is QQ , Qx folds and i would think KK AA also fold river to a shove.
    • AdrianDragan
      AdrianDragan
      Bronze
      Am i the only one around here who has no problem folding TT in a UTG CO pairing?
    • la55i
      la55i
      Originally posted by AdrianDragan
      Am i the only one around here who has no problem folding TT in a UTG CO pairing?
      Maybe. I would call 99 also and if a bit deep I could call even wider to setmine. And we are actually MP.
      But ofc if you open a lot tighter than I do, then you defend tighter vs 3bets also :)
    • BingoWings
      BingoWings
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AdrianDragan
      Depends what you open , say you open 10% utg you can defend with a range as tight as QQ+ AK and two combos of bluffs say AJs AQs and you'll be defending 40% of the time which is more than reasonable in a default strategy. The wider you open the more hands you'll add to your defending range.

Most people usually defend a bit tighter oop as'well opposed to being ip . But from Mp oop as it is here TT is the bottom of my calling range.