[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR (SSS) - J,6o - freeplay - Straight on River

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      UTG+1:
      $5.13
      CO:
      $9.75
      UTG+2:
      $1.73
      SB:
      $1.30
      MP3:
      $10.41
      BU:
      $10.91
      Hero:
      $2
      MP1:
      $1.99
      MP2:
      $5.66

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:club: , 6:heart:
      UTG+1 calls $0.10, 7 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) T:spade: , K:diamond: , A:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: ($0.25) Q:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: $0.60

Any better way to extract value from this lucky draw?
  • 6 replies
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze

Any better way to extract value from this lucky draw?
      Yes, you're over betting the pot which makes no sense here. Youre ruining his potodds to justify a call. You should never bet more than the potsize unless that bet is 40%-50% of your remaining stack.

Bet ½ pot-potsize. Next time check out the board, if its drawheavy you should bet the pot, if its dry you should bet ½ the potsize.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      What a dude!

I've just had an epiphany... I'd never thought of it like that. I'm always thinking about my own pot odds and it never occurred to me that my opponent's might be just as important. Nice one, mate.

You're saying I need to make it attractive for him to call. Ok. It's so difficult to judge these things; you never know what he'll pay... So I always think, "he probably won't call anyway, but if he does, at least I want to win a few chips so I should make a decent sized bet". I had it all backwards!

One more thing: I don't quite understand the difference of bet size here depending on board being dry or draw heavy. I can now see that unless my opponent has a made hand, he'll never call a bet of more than 100% of the pot which is what you explained above. But if the board is draw heavy presumably the opponent is less likely to call a bet - because he'll then suspect I have hit a draw- so shouldn't I bet smaller in that situation? i.e. 1/2 pot rather than pot?

Sorry - so much to learn :) Thanks once again.
    • TroubleMaker23
      TroubleMaker23
      Bronze
      well... in this board u have the nuts (best possible hand) but there is 2 :spade:
      on the board... what if u bet smaller and he get another :spade: ?
      this is what he mean by drawy... if the oponent have 2 :spade: in hand, u are giving him bad odds to call, but if the board was 4 diferent suits, u would have the real nuts.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64

One more thing: I don't quite understand the difference of bet size here depending on board being dry or draw heavy. I can now see that unless my opponent has a made hand, he'll never call a bet of more than 100% of the pot which is what you explained above. But if the board is draw heavy presumably the opponent is less likely to call a bet - because he'll then suspect I have hit a draw- so shouldn't I bet smaller in that situation? i.e. 1/2 pot rather than pot?

When the board is draw heavy, you want to bet more to prevent your opponents from getting good enough pot odds to call and try to complete their draws. You make it so that if they are going after a draw they'll have to pay too much for it, getting bad pot odds, and thuis you'll win in the long run.

As a basic rule of thumb I suggest sticking to 2/3 pot-size in regular plays when you are pre-flop aggressor, and not deviating from it. Even in a draw heavy board 2/3 pot-size is usually enough to give opponents bad pot-odds for draws.
      In the case of freeplays, when you are not pre-flop aggresor, bet pot-size.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok, I see what you mean. Thanks for that.

Tim
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      everything said and done ;-)