[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR (SSS) - J,9o - freeplay - straight draw; implied odds?

• Tim64
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:heart: , 9:diamond:
      5 folds, BU calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.30) T:heart: , Q:spade: , 6:spade: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14, BU folds.

Turn: ($0.58) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.28, Hero calls $0.28.

River: ($1.14) 8:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.54, Hero raises to $1.68 (All-In), SB calls $1.14.

Final Pot: $4.50

Clearly neither of my calls was mathematically correct. In each case my OESD odds are 5:1 and my pot odds are 3:1. I have to admit I was probably aware of this at the time. However, is this a situation where I can use implied odds to justify the call? It seems to me that the SD is reasonably well disguised. Since SB limped in and then bet in a 3-way, I guess I can assume he has a hand of some sort, which I think helps with implied odds, since he's more likely to call a bet on the Turn or River if I do hit. Probably I'm just trying to justify a -EV play 'after-the-fact'-, but if this isn't an example of implied odds, perhaps someone could explain what would need to have been different for them to have been available to me. Since I did hit, and he did call my all-in I want to say that proves my argument, but I'll lay down my position to a convincing counter argument. :)
  • 3 replies
    • Gafny
      you cant rely on implied odds when youre playing SSS :P you should refrain from playing these draws unless youre on a so called monster draw (oesd + flushdraw if i recall) and in such case you should raise it up on the flop. For now just check/fold unless you hit a made hand
    • Tim64
      Thanks Gredal,

I've asked you a couple of questions about implied odds on the other post you commented on. If you get a chance to have a look at them, I'd be grateful for your insight.

• ysessa
      Hi Tim64,

i dont think your calls here are so bad, you can calculate some implieds the only prob is the flushdraw when he plays his fd aggressive then you must also calculate reverse implieds, but normally the opps on nl10 arent that aggressive. So yes i like your calls here and think in the long run you will get your implieds you need to justify the calls, sometimes even a j is good to win the pot.

Best Regards