No-Limit Beginner's Course with confidant91 [2017 edition]

• confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach

Dear Pokerstrategist,

Welcome to feedback and coaching thread of No Limit Beginners Course Coaching by confidant91.

Coaching information:

• name: No Limit Beginner's Course Coaching
      • coach: confidant91
      • time: Mondays 19:00-20:30 CEST
      • target group: All Pokerstartegy members willing to learn NL BSS strategy

What are u going to learn in this coaching?

It is 2017 and it is time to teach you how to crush no limit cash game microstakes one more time. This course is updated version of our successful No limit beginner course while now it has been updated by confidant91 based on his own experience with microstakes bankroll challenge. That means that all the strategy is up to date.

100-1000$ bankroll building challenge

During next 8 weeks we will go together through this course starting from basics, teaching you step by step the simplest means of beating micro limits of NLHE SH while developing solid basis for higher limits. Especially later coachings are interesting even for players who already have some poker knowledge and want to solidify their game.

We already know that this works perfectly for NL2 and NL5 and we will try to show you how to ajdust it even for beating NL10 during later coachigns.

Links of previous coaching podcasts can be found in spoiler:

Lesson 1: 7/8/2017 Getting started with the [SH] Big Stack Strategy Part 1 - Pre-flop!
      Link to article | Getting started - Preflop (1)
      You will learn ...
      • ... why position at the table is important.
      • ... which hands to play pre-flop.
      • ... how to utilize our starting hands charts.

Lesson 2: 14/8/2017 Getting started with the [SH] Big Stack Strategy Part 2 - Postflop!
      Link to article | Getting started - Postflop (2)
      Here you will learn:
      • Your hand strength on the flop
      • How to play different hands
      • Several special rules

Lesson 3: 21/8/2017 Success through community activity
      Link to article | Success Through The Community (3)

Lesson 4: 28/8/2017 Adjustments to the beginner strategy - Pre-flop
      Link to article | Adjustments Pre-flop (4)

Lesson 5: 04/9/2017 Adjustments to the beginner strategy - Post-flop
      Link to article | Adjustments Post-flop (5)

Lesson 6: 11/9/2017 Regular Tables Live Session (06)
  • 85 replies
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Lesson 1: Getting started with the [SH] Big Stack Strategy Part 1 - Pre-flop
      Recorded coaching lesson 1
      You already know:
      The rules of Texas Hold'em

You will learn ...
      • ... why position at the table is important.
      • ... which hands to play pre-flop.
      • ... how to utilise our starting hands charts.
      • ... which variant to play depending on your free poker money.

Which hands should you play before the flop?
      A good poker player always answers the question "Why?" first. The answer is simple: in order to win money. But how exactly can you do that? You have to differentiate between two cases: are you in a blind steal situation or do you want to fight for the pot with the best hand?

At a short-handed poker table 3 to 6 players take part in a game.

If less than 6 players take part, the early positions are discounted first. Hence at a table with 4 players the positions only range from CO to BB.

The blinds are of particular importance in poker. If they weren't part of the game, you could simply wait until you are dealt aces in order to move all-in with them right away. Nobody could beat your strategy. However, poker is a game for the blinds. You shouldn't attack them directly from the positions UTG and MP. Instead, you should play decisively less hands in these positions and focus on stronger hands compared to later positions. However, in the cut-off, button and small blind you can and should attack the blinds directly!

The following tables show you which hands to play in any given position.

A No-Limit Hold'em hand consists of two different cards. The following abbreviations apply:

A = Ace, K = King, Q = Queen, J = Jack, T = Ten (10)
      "s" stands for "suited" and means that both cards have the same suit
      "o" stands for "off-suited" and means that both cards have different suits

For example, ATs stands for:
      A :heart: T :heart: , A :club: T :club: , A :spade: T :spade: , A :diamond: T :diamond:

While KJo stands for:
      K :spade: J :heart: , K :spade: J :diamond: , K :spade: J :club: , K :heart: J :diamond: ,
      K :heart: J :club: , K :heart: J :spade: , K :diamond: J :spade: , K :diamond: J :heart: ,
      K :diamond: J :club: , K :club: J :spade: , K :club: J :heart: , K :club: J :diamond:

UTG:

In UTG you should raise any coloured card to 3 BB

MP

In MP the you should raise any coloured card to 3 BB if all players in front of you folded their hands.

CO

In CO the you should raise any coloured card to 2,5 BB if all players in front of you folded their hands.

BTN, SB:

On the BTN and SB you should raise any coloured card to 2.5 BB if all players in front of you folded their hands.

BB:

What do the different colours mean?

Note regarding limpers: If you're holding a hand that you should still raise even when players limped before it was your turn, you should raise to 4 BB + 1 BB for each limper, no matter what position you're in.

Green hands are the weakest hands you should play. You should play them mostly in order to simply steal the blinds. Furthermore, you should only play them when no one has joined the hand before it was your turn.

You don't play these hands anymore when ...
      ... there has been a raise before it was your turn.
      ... a player has joined the hand with a limp before it was your turn.
      ... there has been a raise after it was your turn.

On average, Blue hands are usually better than the hands with which your opponents call pre-flop. Therefore, you should play them when ...
      ... nobody has joined the hand before it was your turn.

... there has been a raise before it was your turn. EXCEPTION: You are in the BB. In this case, you should continue to play blue marked hands and yellow hands.
      ... there has been a raise after it was your turn.

Red hands are your strongest hands. You play these hands when ...
      ... nobody has joined the hand before it was your turn.
      ... there has been a raise before it was your turn. In this case, you should re-raise to 3.5 times the initial raise.
      ... there has been a raise after it was your turn. In this case, you should re-re-raise to 3 times your opponent's raise. If there are several raises after it was your turn, you should simply move all-in right away!

Yellow hands are only relevant when you are in the Big Blind. These hands are strong enough to call with against steals from players with at least 50 BB. You play these hands when ...
      ... there has been a raise before it was your turn from the CO, BU or SB to 4 BB at most.

... there has been more than one raise before it was your turn or when there has been a raise from UTG or MP.

Call 20 rule: Pairs have a very special characteristic. It's possible to hit a set with them on the flop without people actually realising. Therefore, you can and should limp with pairs when at least one player also limped before it was your turn. If there has been a raise before it was your turn, you should only call with a pair when your own stack and your opponent's both equal at least 20 times the amount required to call the raise.

This rule only applies to pairs that we shouldn't continue to play according to the colours in the tables. If that's not the case, we simply continue to play our hand as described in the chart!

Min-raise rule: If you are min-raised pre-flop, you can basically continue to play any hand that you've raised as long as your opponent's stack is at least 50 BB. In these cases, your opponent is giving you a good price to see the flop and you don't have to win the particular hand too often in order to make this move profitable in the long run.

If there has been a min-raise to 2 BB before it was your turn that doesn't constitute a steal, you should simply regard it as a limp!

If you re-raise against a min-raise you have to raise to 4 times the amount of the min-raise + 2 BB for each caller of the min-raise

Blind posting rule:

If a new player joins the table and is not willing to wait for the BB to join the game, he has the option to post the big blind right away to be able to join the game. This is called "blind posting".
      How do we treat such a player?
      When it comes to hand strength selection, we simply ignore this player and act as if he had folded. However, if we decide to raise a hand, we have to consider the additional chips in the pot and therefore raise to 4 BB + 1BB per limper.

What is bankroll management?
      You should always regard the money that you're bringing to a table as an investment, similar to buying stocks. You would only buy those if they promise a profit and a reasonable risk of loss.

You can achieve the same in poker by using a bankroll management.
      It will tell you in which limits to invest (meaning which limits to play) in order to find a balance between your wish to ...
      • ... make progress and as much profit as possible when winning and ....
      • ... not fall back too far and lose too much of your poker money when you're on a losing streak.

You want to win as much as possible when having a good run, without being hit too hard when losing. This can only be accomplished when sticking to our 25 buy-in bankroll management. It tells you excatly when to move up in limits once your bankroll is big enough, and when to move down in limits when you've lost too much on your current limit.

The bankroll management for the BSS beginners' strategy looks as follows:

• You always buy-in with a full stack (100 big blinds) at a table. 100 big blinds are one "buy-in".
      • You always recharge your stack to 100 big blinds as soon as you've lost chips at the table and fallen below 100 big blinds.
      • If you have 25 buy-ins for the next higher limit, you can move up to that limit.
      For example, you can play NL5 with $125 (NL5 blinds: 2c/5c)
      • If you only have 25 buy-ins left for the next lower limit, you have to move down to that limit.
      For example, you have to move down to NL2 if your bankroll is only $50 again (NL2 blinds: 1c/2c)
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Time to create a new army of pokerstartegist crushing the games. :f_drink:

Hope to see you all on monday.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Subbed :f_drink:
    • Usernejm
      Usernejm
      Gold
      :f_thumbsup: Sub
      Not sure if the spoiler is a troll though!
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      spolier gonna be used later during the course once there are video recordings of coachings released.
    • gigaPT
      gigaPT
      Silver
      lets go
    • gigaPT
      gigaPT
      Silver
      @confidant91 i call raises before with some range or not? (without counting BB position)
    • kerith
      kerith
      Bronze
      Subbed! The first course is what let me into poker, time to refresh!
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      Just getting back into Poker after a long time away so will definitely be there (although I may struggle for this 1st week - I assume there will be recordings?).

Quick question on the above pre-flop strategy; in particular, bet sizing when there are limpers.

If you're holding a hand that you should still raise even when players limped before it was your turn, you should raise to 4 BB + 1 BB for each limper, no matter what position you're in.
      Can I just confirm that is right 4BB + 1 as standard raise when no limper is 3BB or 2.5BB?

Cheers - looking forward to learning with all of you.
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      @confidant91 i call raises before with some range or not? (without counting BB position)
      at the moment we dont have caling ranges expect bb position. If u are more experienced player u definitely want to have calling range from every position but for completely beginners it makes sense to focus on just opening ranges and not bother with calling ones to keep the game plan as simple as possible.

Can I just confirm that is right 4BB + 1 as standard raise when no limper is 3BB or 2.5BB?
      yes 4bb is correct. U want to build up the pot and u dotn want to give good odds to other player so you usually end up in a HU pot with a fish,
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      Originally posted by confidant91

yes 4bb is correct. U want to build up the pot and u dotn want to give good odds to other player so you usually end up in a HU pot with a fish,
      Thanks for the clarification and reasons. Having the chance to win more money is always good. 😀
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      if u play reg table or meet the fish frequently than u should try out even bigger sizings. Some players dont care at all aboout your sizing and might be callling even 10 bb sizings with same range.
    • Arnusen
      Arnusen
      Bronze
      Subbed! I cant believe how perfectly your timing fits to my start of the blog. I will now mostly follow your advice and update everything on my blog. I hope you check it out as soon as i put the first updates.

I think you are the guys the angry poker players scream about, making the game harder. - Thanks!

Cheers
      Arnusen
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      give us a link to your blog so we can follow :)
    • tmannie
      tmannie
      Silver
      you cant go wrong if you listen to confidant91 his teachings work and he proves it in his courses
      tmannie
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      As I feared I was unable to tune into the live coaching; I hope it went well and everyone learned lots. Not that I am eager or anything ( :f_biggrin: ), but when do the recordings normally show up on the videos section?
    • Arnusen
      Arnusen
      Bronze
      Here it is guys: [NL2] When a fish wants to become a shark.

@confidant91: Will you add Full Ring Ranges too? Or any kind of equations to tighten them up for full ring? - Im just curious, because personally i just feel more confidant :f_drink: on them.

Greetings
      Arnusen
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      Here it is guys: [NL2] When a fish wants to become a shark.
      Looking forward to keeping up with your exploits Arnusen!

So, I found the recording on Twitch - have enjoyed watching the first hour or so, so far. I will watch the rest of it (mainly the live play) tonight, but I do have just a couple of questions:

• Regarding the Call20 rule - how do we play if a raise before us is called before us? Do all players in the pot have to have 20x raise to make it profitable? How about if the raise, is re-raised before us? If we still have 20x, is it still profitable to play even if we are calling potentially 7 - 10 BBs?
      • Is it worth starting at NL2 to learn strategy with lower risk even if we have BankRoll for NL5? Or is that just unnecessarily playing at a lower level?
      • If we are playing NL5, what does a 2.5BB look like 12cents or 13cents - I have been going 12cents to try to steal as cheaply as possible, but does the slightly lower amount mean more people will call as it is close to a min-raise?

Anyway, that is my first few questions; I'm sure there will be more.

Good decisions at the tables folks.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spidey
    • Arnusen
      Arnusen
      Bronze

[*] Regarding the Call20 rule - how do we play if a raise before us is called before us? Do all players in the pot have to have 20x raise to make it profitable? How about if the raise, is re-raised before us? If we still have 20x, is it still profitable to play even if we are calling potentially 7 - 10 BBs?
      I assume its all about the implied odds you have with set-mining. You want to call X amount with the chance of winning it x20. So potential win should be "Callx20". If someone calls a raise it raises ur implied odds also since another one could call you down if u hit your set. I think what the rule wants to show is, that you could setmine with a good chance of winning alot, but if there are to much players i think chances of winning with low sets are low indeed.

What about the raise is reraised: Than you have to use the calculation with the reraise, example Vil1 Raised 3bb Vil2 Reraised 9bb -> Hero has to decide "should i call with 66?" well if Vil2 has 9BBx20=180BB and you too then you can call it. - You still have to fear a 4bet, maybe?! but either Vil1 will fold or call and give u more money when u hit.

With the betsizing i think one cent will not change anyones mind in NL5. So to be on the safe side i would always use 12 since it has the same effect, he will see its 2,5 times and not 2,4blablab

Hope i could help.

Im a noob and tried to explain it the best i can. Seeya