PokerStars now hides rake in the fine print of Tournament Lobbies!

• AvoidMyRage
      AvoidMyRage
      Bronze
      Recently, PokerStars has changed the way rake is displayed in the tournament lobbies. While before, you could see it in the top-right corner of a tournament lobby (for example, $200+$15), now it shows this:

The ONLY mention of rake is now hidden in the structure tab, you even have to scroll to it.

In my opinion, there is absolute no reason to change this. It decreases transparency to players who may not be as attentive of such things and I am certain no one has ever looked at the lobby and said: "You know what, this number really bothers me!"

Instead, I believe that this is step 1 to more sneaky & shady rake increases. They hope that if people cannot immediately see it, the backlash will not be as severe as it'd be otherwise.

I have asked PokerStars for an official statement in their Discord channel and have gotten no response.

Please be very cautious in the future and regularly check how much rake exactly you are paying!

Alternatively, please consider switching sites, taking (a part of) your action elsewhere to discourage what many consider borderline scummy behaviour.

Greetings
  • 23 replies
    • Xanham
      Xanham
      Platinum
      Damn, you're right. Not a good step, Pokerstars becoming more and more dubious.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Yeah, this is becoming ridiculous...
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Make sure that you let PokerStars how you feel...

All the best,
      VS
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

All the best,
      VS
      Exactly, don't play there
    • Tintenauge
      Tintenauge
      Bronze
      But its good for the recs, right?

Now, when they are less confused about the $X+$Y Tourney fees, they are gonna play more tourneys and strenghten up the poker economy.

Ty Stars!!!!

:facepalm: :appl:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In the old method, it just said $200 + 15 -- no mention of where the $15 was going (or the $200 either).
      Now it explicitly tells the player "retained by PokerStars"

Yes, it is buried on the Structure page, but it is more clearly defined.

Did anyone actually contact PokerStars about this?
      If so what reply did you get?

Cheers,
      VS
    • k0kki3
      k0kki3
      Bronze
      Only thing where Pokerstars is not yet been scummy greedy is currency conversions. As the games are in USD, it would be really scummy to add conversion fees.
    • kielonus
      kielonus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by UPAY4DINNER
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

All the best,
      VS
      Exactly, don't play there
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      You think that's sneaky? Sometime an irish guy turns up in the middle of your hand and sweeps away the pot so he can pay for his dinner for the night.
    • jonny1971
      jonny1971
      Bronze
      same some many adder poker site look on 888 poker look on many more
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Originally posted by k0kki3
      Only thing where Pokerstars is not yet been scummy greedy is currency conversions. As the games are in USD, it would be really scummy to add conversion fees.

They actually have 3% conversion in my country...
    • semiramiRNMD
      semiramiRNMD
      Bronze
      Why is this a problem for you? When you play roulette you bet $1, not 0.97+0.03, or if you play slots you bet 0.20 not 0.19+0.01, or if you play BJ you bet $100 not $99+$1. And not to mention sports beting, calculations what the house is taking are much more complex and very few people know how to calculate it. Yeah rec players know that the house is making money, but they don't like to be reminded that they pay for it. That's why Stars made the change. They don't hide anything and those who want to know will know.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Transparency, dude!
      Okay, lets say its good for recs. They should at least put a setting that you can turn on and see the fee you are paying...

Otherewise they can make the rake like 40% in MTTs and we will have no idea when we play a gigantic player pool tournament. Who in their right mind would go adding all the prize levels together?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Personally, I find the current way to be more transparent.
      On the main tab of the tournament lobby you see exactly what you pay.

On the structure tab, you see the full breakdown of where that money goes.
      You also see a complete breakdown of what percentage goes to each position.

Perhaps both points of view could be covered if you could hover your mouse over the buy-in and see the breakdown.
      However people who don't look at the structure page aren't likely to care anyway.
      People who do look at that page wouldn't need the breakdown.

Peace,
      VS
    • atton64
      atton64
      Black
      New games will probably have higher rake as we see, along with no rakeback. So better hide all the rake structure, even the ones not affected. Or maybe could we expect some games to have higher rake soon? ?( :facepalm:
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      @Vorpal,
      Yeah that makes sense. Lets hope they do this.
      I also spoke too soon, because you can always divide the total prizepool by the number of players... But it hard not to get triggered these days when it comes to pokerstars :transpire:
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Originally posted by atton64
      New games will probably have higher rake as we see, along with no rakeback. So better hide all the rake structure, even the ones not affected. Or maybe could we expect some games to have higher rake soon? ?( :facepalm:
      If they would do this we get a lot more firework of all players I think with complaining and then I expect they will lose a lot of players. I don’t think they have the intention to do this or they think we are stupid.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • atton64
      atton64
      Black
      Originally posted by SDK1987
      If they would do this we get a lot more firework of all players I think with complaining and then I expect they will lose a lot of players. I don’t think they have the intention to do this or they think we are stupid.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
      Yeah, sure sure.
      You mean how they increased the rake in spinngo format, cause it was a goldmine for players/stables and stars wanted bigger chunk from the cake?
      Or how they cancelled SuperNovaElite and basically steal from the players who made it and expected to have high rb the following year?
      And how they decreased rb to 5%? :D
      Or how they create new "poker"(lotto) formats with high rake/almost unbeatable formats? :f_rolleyes:

Players do the firework. Is Pokerstars affected? lol
    • Xanham
      Xanham
      Platinum
      Pokerstars: "Since our Stars Rewards program is not a traditional volume-based rakeback program, we don't see as important to display the rake at the tournaments anymore."

Source: tweet from SrslySirius

Logic ftw :f_thumbsup: