When to move up?

• helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I don't like brm. I have been playing nl100 for quite a while, only 2-4 tables at a time.

This is what the HEM looks like:

My question is mainly, how much sample do I need to feel fairly sure Im really raping this (raping is, 8bb+ winrate). I will wait for some more coachings for introduction to levelling and more reg vs reg play, but what kind of winrate/sample should I need for a 90% accurency on having 8bb+ winrate?

Thanks,

Nick
  • 9 replies
    • soucy
      soucy
      Bronze
      8,8k isn't really a big sample size. I think if you have played more then 50k hands on a limit with a posivite winrate you can assume that your are an overall winning player. But even 50k hands aren't that much because I've seen swings going over about 70k-80k hands too.

The only advise i can give you is that you chum up with brm.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by soucy
      so i should start playing nl400? ;)
    • soucy
      soucy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      so i should start playing nl400? ;)
      hehe ... that wasn't the thing i wanted to point out.

In my eyes brm doesn't require that you move up in the limits. It only requires that you move down if you havn't enough br left to avoid going broke. brm can only allow you to move up if you feel comfortable at the next limit. If you don't feel comfortable you should stay at the current limit.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      To be really sure to beat a limit you should have a t least 30-40k hands, and even then the deviation from your true winrate could be huge. To see your tru winrate you need to play like 200k hands. I suggest to add some more tables, 6 in total, play some more k hands and if you have the BR and feel good about it, move up.

BRM depends on several things: do you need the money? Do you make a living from poker? If so use at least 50 stacks BRM ( I use 70 - 100 stacks BRM)

Do you want to move up fast and be able to move down fast when necessary? You don't need the money right now?If so, take an aggressive BRM, like 25/30 stacks.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • soucy
      soucy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      BRM depends on several things: do you need the money? Do you make a living from poker? If so use at least 50 stacks BRM ( I use 70 - 100 stacks BRM)
      Which limit do you play with 70-100 stacks brm? nl200+ ?

Is it normal to build up such a big brm for higher limits or is this just because many people stop moving up if they have reached nl100/200 or nl400 ?
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I'm not gonna play 6 tables @ nl1000, so I'm not gonna play 6 tables @ nl100. I feel like I learn most by playing 2-4 tables, and since nl100 is playmoney anyway, I prefer maximizing how much I learn over maximizing profit. I got really sick the past few days, so ill stay on nl100 a bit more. But tx for the replies. I feel like i can't really build a proper sample, so ill probably let other factors decide whether I wanna move up.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Just play at the stakes you got the bankroll for and you feel comfortable playing imo. I would go for 30-40 buyins at stakes above 100nl.
      I would watch some videos for various stakes to see how to play is. And than play the highest stake possible where I think I could beat the game and am not on scared money.
      I think you should use a bankroll too, just an amount of money you keep seperate solely for poker.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Ask when you reach at least 50K hands.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      Which limit do you play with 70-100 stacks brm? nl200+ ?

Is it normal to build up such a big brm for higher limits or is this just because many people stop moving up if they have reached nl100/200 or nl400 ?
      200+, yes

It's not because not moving up, it's because of variance and a proper BRM for what you want to reach.