An irregular NL run through the limits! (fingers crossed)

• irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      Well, here goes, I am mainly an NL player, but with this PS bankroll I decided to try to learn FL. I am trying to watch all the vids and read all the articles on the site and fit it into my game. I have only played ~3k hands, that is however only 2-4 tabling FR on mansion.

Here is my first graph for 15 days of Feb, damn frustrating

Any questions?
  • 55 replies
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      What could we have questions about? :)
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Good luck with playing FL. I added your blog to this thread: Fixed Limit Blogs

Yeah... This kinda swings are normal for FL. Just play as best you can, it will go up eventually ;)
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Good luck. I'll be checking your blog. :)
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comments!

I haven't played much at all since last post(due to ill health and uni!) but I thought I would add more info.

I realised I have a few bucks on party poker, so I am going to use that in my FL BR, unfortunatly it isn't tracked by PS so I lose out on PS Points :(
      But the increased number of tables to choose from is defo +EV
      But I also want to start playing 8-10 good tables at a time so more than one site is definatly required!

First things first, a graph, obv not much different from the first, but I am on the up! (inc party and mansion play)

And some stats to go with it!

Obviously only ~700 more hands than previous but I thought I would update anyway.

First off, yes I play as tight as a ducks arse with a VPIP of 12, I feel I could/should be entering and raising more pots PF, but I am sure this will come with more volume in this strange game called Fixed limit. While playing I feel my aggression is quite good, it appears rather low in the stats, this will prob change when I get more volume also. I would like to lift my Won at showdown %, I have been told ~60% is qwuite good, but I have felt that I have made a few to many light call downs on the river. Something I would like to stop. :D

I am sure I will get down to posting hands on here in the future, will prob just post link to hand review threads I make in the forum.

All comments welcome.
      Good luck at the tables!
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Follow the SHC, 12% vpip is EV- d00d.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      Follow the SHC, 12% vpip is EV- d00d.
      Not neccessarily .
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Primzi, it actually is -EV :)
    • OlivierLu
      OlivierLu
      Bronze
      Hey, 12% vp$ip is just too small. It can be EV+ if you play well post-flop or play against very poor opponents. One point is sure : you give up some value by folding to many hands.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      You do give up too many hands, but I think mathematically it's still +EV, although very small +... I don't know how I would calculate the expected value only by using VP$IP, but I guess a mathematician could explain it to me :| ?
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      No one said that you can't win money with 12VPIP. But if you compare it with "proper" preflop play, it's -EV.
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      Hey,
      been a long time! I haven't been keeping too well and my interest in, well everything has been very low. So I haven't been playing any poker. The last few days I have had the urge so have managed to slide in around 1k hands, the usual situation for me, floating around even.

I find it quite hard to follow the SHC tbh, I only 4-table so time isn't the problem. i just already have an idea in my head of how to play certain hands and go ahead and do that instead.

couple of questions, what sort of VPIP should the SHC produce?
      How do you follow the SHC, tips?

Thanks for all your previous comments, I will prob post some stuff after todays session.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I don't remeber exactly stats from FR but I think 17/13 or 18/14 (VPIP/PFR) should be fine.
      How do you follow SHC? You just FOLLOW it :) Think about that if you don't follow it, you will be losing money on a long run.
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      Well, here is todays graph, not very useful, but adds a picture, and we all like looking at pictures. :D

Well, I found a few fish at the tables to let me get max EV out of my Jacks. However, I also came across a few players playing big hands slowly/tricky, which to be honest is new to me at this level. They unfortunately took some of my profits away!

Here is my FL career so far, at least I got above the even line once again, lets hope I soar from here!

@Corey

Yea, I should just follow the SHC, it's just like this, I used to be a semi-succesful NL TAG and I am used to folding hands, eg. AJ in certain positions. So when I get such hands my brain doesn't think, it just hits the fold button, one of the advantages a total newb would have over me I guess!

I am trying, and I really hope these strategies on here bring me, and you sucess!

Edit: P.S I have been playing extra hands that the SHC suggests and my VPIP has actually gone down?! I know it is a small sample but strange none the less IMO
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      I have posted a hand, your comments would be much appreciated.

FR 0.1/0.20 Non-nut flush
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      Ever have one of those sessions where you get off to an absolute howler!

Well today was one of those days :( It was a shocker. I thought about throwing in the towel, but I never, I battled back from a 40 big bet deficet to eventually get positive numbers. I did end the session down 1.9 big bets, but I will take that, I was running pretty bad, lost with aces 3 times, 2 were strange, one I was obviously beat, just calling cause I had AA :(
      I also doubled my regular 4 tabling to 8 tables for second half of session, it worked pretty well!

Here is the session graph:

I got a free $200 bonus from mansion for complaining about others getting it, but I doubt I will clear it considering I need 13k MCP and at my level it is ~0.2/hand. But it was nice of them!
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      Just thought I would make a little update, well yesterday was a bad start and today was, well look for yourself...

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.1/$0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J, J.
      Hero raises, 3 folds, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (9.00 SB) J, 9, K (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, BU raises, SB calls, Hero 3-Bets, CO folds, BU calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 4 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, BU raises, SB 3-Bets, Hero caps, BU calls, SB calls.

River: (21.50 BB) 4 (3 players)
      SB bets, Hero raises, BU calls, SB 3-Bets, Hero caps, BU calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 33.50 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of fours (J J)
      BU shows two pairs, aces and fours (A A)
      SB shows a full-house, nines full of fours (9 9)
      Hero wins with a full-house, jacks full of fours (J J).

:f_biggrin:

Today I continued with 8 tables, I quite like it as I feel really comfortable at this level. Here is an updated overall graph.

I am obviously happy with my progress, hope to keep it up and get up those levels!
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Lot's of hands. In how many days did you make them?
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      only 3.5k in 6 days! Would have been more if I had decided to 8-table earlier :f_cool:

Edit: I have posted another hand for evaluation Fr 0.10/0.20 Qq
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      irregularity, what's your screen name on mansion? I play the same limit and it's always good to know if a fellow PS member is on the table :f_cool: