[NL10] Would like to review a hand I won and see your thoughts on my process

• ldmariodl28
      ldmariodl28
      Silver
      So Im always posting hands I lost, but I thought about this hand after I won it and thought to myself, did I really play this hand right, or was I fortunate to win/

For those who havnt seen my others posts, I have to type out the information as there is no tracker available for the site I play on in the USA called Global Poker. Also there are no HUDS.

One thing you should know about this site that I havnt mentioned previously, it has very recreational players, as its target is the facebook and instagram scene.

So that being said, here is the hand.....

NL10
      .05/.10
      6 max table

Opening Stack Sizes
      UTG - 98.5 BB
      MP - 125.8 BB
      CO - 165.5 BB
      BU - 27.4 BB
      SB - 74.1 BB
      BB (HERO) - 246.2 BB

HERO Dealt
      :Ac: :Kh:

UTG call 1 BB
      MP Fold
      CO Raise 5 BB
      BU Fold
      SB Fold
      BB (HERO) Raise 25 BB
      UTG Fold
      CO Calls 20 BB

TOTAL POT - 51.5 BB

FLOP
      :2h: :6s: :Kd:

BB (HERO) - Check
      CO - Check
      So I checked here to see if I could get him to start the betting since he was the original pre-flop raiser. This would make my job more easy and conceal my hand if he was the aggressor post flop. Obviously that didn't work because he checked.

TOTAL POT - 51.5 BB

TURN
      :2h: :6s: :Kd: :Qs:

BB (HERO) Bets 38.6 BB
      CO Calls 38.6 BB

Now I know I needed to bet, and went with a 75% bet. Not sure if the sizing was good though or if I should have done a 50% bet to entice him to stay. He stayed of course for 75% which was fortunate for me. My thought process was I was hoping he had a Queen and would want to keep playing.

TOTAL POT - 128.7 BB

RIVER
      :2h: :6s: :Kd: :Qs: :4c:

HERO (BB) - Check
      CO - Check

So I checked here because for the life of me I couldnt figure out what he had that he would be calling me with. Does he have two pair? Does he have pocket Q? So I checked and wanted to see what he would bet before I determined my next move. As luck would have it he checks and we go to showdown.

CO Shows - :Td: :Th:

HERO Wins with 2 Kings

So great, I won a big pot.. but how do you feel about my process here, and thinking. Feedback negative and positive are welcome as always!
  • 11 replies
    • pharaonsgold
      pharaonsgold
      Bronze
      not so interesting hand actually
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      If you are playing most of the time against recreational players I would betting for every street with top pair after the 3bet for value. On long run I expect you will get more value than with checking.
      As played I would go for a thin value shove on the river, but now he would most likely fold anyway.

Further I recommend removing the outcome of the hand next time or put it in a spoiler.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Dadramel
      Dadramel
      Silver
      Just b b b
    • toteatoo
      toteatoo
      Silver
      I would bet flop for value. And I think preflop 3bet is too big (unless you have some reads).
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      Bet-bet-bet (if called) usually means a loss with TPTK, especially 165 bb deep.

Preflop is a bit too big. Are you trying to isolate QQ+? Then I'd continue with a small bet on the flop (because the board is very dry). With the Q on the turn, I'd bet small again. Very few worse hands can call a big bet there. The only draws are gutshots. (You want calls from AQ/AJ, and stuff like that. KQ+ will call anything.) Then I'd check river. Now extremely few worse hands can call. A suck-bet might work, but those come with a risk. You might have to fold to a bluff raise (depending on SPR of course).
    • ldmariodl28
      ldmariodl28
      Silver
      With regards to my 3bet raise, I normally always use a 5x 3 bet
    • la55i
      la55i
      Originally posted by ldmariodl28
      Why? Do you 3bet bluff a lot?
    • ldmariodl28
      ldmariodl28
      Silver
      Originally posted by la55i
      Originally posted by ldmariodl28
      Why? Do you 3bet bluff a lot?
      No, the only time I really 3 bet is for value. Do you think im 3 betting to large?
    • njyrki
      njyrki
      Bronze
      nobody said it would be interesting :D he is asking about his thought processes, are they correct or not.
    • la55i
      la55i
      3betting only for value is quite easy to exploit if villain notices this, but since you are playing on a site that doesn't allow a hud, maybe it is not such a big problem.
      The other thing is that you are probably missing some value when you don't 3bet as a bluff. This is quite important when on the blinds.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      Lassie is right. You have preflop leaks.

But these leaks need not be a bad thing if you struggle with the postflop game. Getting called when re-stealing from the blinds can then be more costly than letting them take that 1 bb once in a while.