This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] QQ vs re-raise OTF

• bop19
      bop19
      Bronze
      Hi there,

This hand literally just happened like 10 minutes ago ...

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools by CardRunners - Hand Details

Hero (SB): $6.12 (306 bb)
      BB: $2.10 (105 bb)
      UTG+1: $1.96 (98 bb)
      UTG+2: $2 (100 bb)
      MP1: $2.38 (119 bb)
      MP2: $1.92 (96 bb)
      MP3: $2.15 (107.5 bb)
      CO: $2.09 (104.5 bb)
      BTN: $3.29 (164.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Qd: :Qs:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 raises to $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06, CO calls $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, Hero raises to $0.34, 5 folds, BTN calls $0.28

Flop: ($0.90) :7s: :5h: :9s: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.46, BTN raises to $2.95 and is all-in, Hero calls $2.49

Turn: ($6.80) :Qc: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($6.80) :Tc: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

So, a few questions:

1. Should I 4-bet pre-flop higher?
      2. Should I have just checked the flop? I was afraid of giving v another free card, given that the flop hits v's range
      3. Should I fold his re-raise? the villain and I have been tussling quite a bit (I've come on top most of the times) and I felt like he was trying hard to push me off the hand. A pair with strong draw seemed within v's range of hands. Plus, I was curious to see what v had (I know, curiosity kills the cat...).

Thanks for the answers.
  • 7 replies
    • TurokRider
      TurokRider
      Bronze
      You didn't 4bet, you made a 3bet, but that doesn't change the fact that $0.34 is about (or exactly :f_zZz: ) a potsize bet so I like that size.
      The flop is great, so I would cbet almost always, again I like your size.
      Normally I would fold to that raise. You have little invested and you are deep. Normally, I would not risk 125BB to see if he maybe has a weak-ish hand. If you have a lot of history with the villain and you saw him do stuff like this with a wide range (highcards, draws, 7x, 9x ..) often, I might call. If you haven't seen stuff like this from him, be carefull. If a fish suddenly starts to play different from his normal "simple" game, it's usually a sign of strongness.
      So:
      1) no, size is perfect
      2) no, cbet is standard here
      3) yes, normally I would fold.

Being curious is an expensive habbit that has no place in pots like these :f_biggrin:
    • Fanko
      Fanko
      Bronze
      You can squeeze a bit higher preflop.

Bet/fold on the flop is reasonable but keep in mind that you become heavily exploitable if you fold your overpairs on such boards.
      However, on the micros such a line is often strong and he has all the sets, 86 straight, 97 top two, and a bunch of combodraws. Your
      equity is pretty low if he doesn't have 9x or some pair + gutshot hands and he probably doesn't so fold and wait for a better spot.
    • bop19
      bop19
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies. I think my line was fine, except for the call. I might have opened a bit bigger OTF, maybe around 60%ish of the pot?

Yes, it's an expensive habit (leak), but I figured I was winning a lot last night lol.

Btw, what he had was
      8c6c for a made straight OTF
    • la55i
      la55i
      I agree with the guys above.
      I think a half pot bet size, or even smaller, works ok on the flop. I wouldn't go any bigger. This situation is not so great for us because 1) we are OOP 2) we don't have nuts here but villain does. If he calls a big flop bet I would say we are way ahead/way behind.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Originally posted by TurokRider
      You didn't 4bet, you made a 3bet, but that doesn't change the fact that $0.34 is about (or exactly :f_zZz: ) a potsize bet so I like that size.
      The flop is great, so I would cbet almost always, again I like your size.
      Normally I would fold to that raise. You have little invested and you are deep. Normally, I would not risk 125BB to see if he maybe has a weak-ish hand. If you have a lot of history with the villain and you saw him do stuff like this with a wide range (highcards, draws, 7x, 9x ..) often, I might call. If you haven't seen stuff like this from him, be carefull. If a fish suddenly starts to play different from his normal "simple" game, it's usually a sign of strongness.
      So:
      1) no, size is perfect
      2) no, cbet is standard here
      3) yes, normally I would fold.

Being curious is an expensive habbit that has no place in pots like these :f_biggrin:
      If we talking about terminology we can’t call a re-raise on the flop, because in this case it’s calling a raise when we are betting and the BTN is raising all-inn.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • toteatoo
      toteatoo
      Silver
      Preflop sizing is good, I would raise similarly. Flop is definitely bet, he has also some Ax hands and therefore you want go for value and protection. After his raise I would usually fold this deep.
    • Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      On NL2 I'm calling this. Guess I'm a fish :f_p:

Did he have a set?