This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL10] AK Suited, ran into a pickle at the end. Do you agree with what I did?

• AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      AK Suited, ran into a pickle at the end. Do you agree with what I did? Sometimes playing vs Short Stacks can be tricky.

Playing on Global Poker
      NL10

6 Max Game
      NO Hud on this site
      No Tracker on this site

Stack Sizes
      UTG (HERO) - 214.5 BB
      MP - 114 BB
      CO - 98.2 BB
      BU - 65.5 BB
      SB - 117.9 BB
      BB - 45.4 BB

HERO Dealt: :As: :Ks:

SB Post .5 BB
      BB Post 1 BB
      UTG (HERO) Raise 3 BB
      MP - Call 3 BB
      CO - Fold
      BU - Fold
      SB - Fold
      BB - Call 3 BB

TOTAL POT: 9.5 BB

FLOP
      :Kd: :Ts: :9c:

BB - Check
      UTG (HERO) - Bet 4.7 BB
      MP - Fold
      BB - Calls 4.7 BB

TOTAL POT: 18.9 BB

TURN
      :Kd: :Ts: :9c: :Th:

BB - Check
      UTG (HERO) - Bets 9.4 BB
      BB - Call 9.4 BB

TOTAL POT: 37.7 BB

RIVER
      :Kd: :Ts: :9c: :Th: :Qc:

THE FINAL BETTING

BB - Bets 29.3 BB
      UTG (HERO) - Folds

BB - Mucks

So I took this over to flopzilla to see each street, and even after the two Tens come out, I still have 81% equity in this hand. I really dont think she has a set of 10s based on her check on the Turn. She is a fish and would bet if she had 3 Tens.

Then the Queen comes out on the river and that spooks me when she goes all in. The Queen coming out still gives me equity of 70% based on the range I gave her after she called my preflop raise (QQ-22,ATs+,KQs,JTs,AQo+)

So, of course knowing the soft players on this site, my first thought is she has a Jack and completed a straight... but now im thinking, she also could have had a Queen and got excited about having two pair, Queens and Tens...

That being said, the Pot Odds were 44% to make the call, so should there are 3 things here

1. Pot Odds 44% which would normally not be a call I would make.
      2. Equity is 70% so maybe I can make this bet and possibly see she just got a Queen
      3. Fold like I did, knowing that these fishy players on Global Poker rarely bluff and I could see her getting all excited about hitting the straight

What would you have done here?

Thanks!
  • 7 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      It’s too bad we don’t know anything of the BB, but in general I would play the hand the same way with top pair against a unknown to bet on flop and turn for value. The river is a bad card for us, but without looking to the spoiler I would check behind most of the time. I don’t think we can value bet again.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • la55i
      la55i
      Call call donk is often a super strong line and I don't think you will see that as a bluff very often. Also it makes 0 sense for villain to do this with just Qx on this board vs UTG open and double barrel.

If you believe you have 70% equity this is super easy snap call always. But let's be real:

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 9.76% 9.76% 0.00% AsKs
      MP3 90.24% 90.24% 0.00% QQ-99, ATs, KTs+, QTs+, J8s+, T7s+, 87s

Put him on a range that calls from BB vs UTG open and a call. Then start thinking what hands he will continue with OTF and OTT. And when he donks you can maybe include some bluffs (like I did with 87s) but most of his hands are quite strong. He has tons of straights, full houses, trips etc...
      There is no way you have 70% equity here.
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      Originally posted by la55i
      Call call donk is often a super strong line and I don't think you will see that as a bluff very often. Also it makes 0 sense for villain to do this with just Qx on this board vs UTG open and double barrel.

If you believe you have 70% equity this is super easy snap call always. But let's be real:

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 9.76% 9.76% 0.00% AsKs
      MP3 90.24% 90.24% 0.00% QQ-99, ATs, KTs+, QTs+, J8s+, T7s+, 87s

Put him on a range that calls from BB vs UTG open and a call. Then start thinking what hands he will continue with OTF and OTT. And when he donks you can maybe include some bluffs (like I did with 87s) but most of his hands are quite strong. He has tons of straights, full houses, trips etc...
      There is no way you have 70% equity here.
      Well yea thats the difference when you add more ranges into the Villians Cold Calling Range. That being said, im almost positive this person doesnt know what a Cold Calling range even is, or is thinking about me being UTG. They are thinking about their hand only so I can see the logic in adding more combos to the villians possible cold calling ranges.

When I use the expanded ranges my Equity is 57.651% on the Flop, 50% on the Turn and and of course 9.75% on the River...

SO, if im thinking about this kind of range, MAYBE then it might have been better for me to put in a 75% bet on the Flop.... BUT if this Queen doesnt come out on the River, im fairly sure I win this hand and she doesnt donk.

From an Equity standpoint, the Q is the only card here that hurts me.. aside from a Jack which would be 15%.. and it came out.
    • la55i
      la55i
      What range do you use for villain?
      I guess you know that every time you bet he will call with a more narrow range and on this board if he is not a huge station his range is already quite tight by the river.
      And still I don't see villain doing this as a bluff. For me this looks like a clear fold.
    • AnXfile378
      AnXfile378
      Bronze
      This was my range on the villain

QQ-22,ATs+,KQs,JTs,AQo+

But that being said, her bet size screamed flush and that was enough for me even if the equity with this range said I had the edge, most people on this site and especially on NL10 do not bluff the river. Once in a while you see it, but a majority of them dont bluff.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Why would he call call donk with 22-88? Or with AQ when there is K on the board and you have bet flop and turn?
    • DonQuishove
      DonQuishove
      Bronze
      Hey ldmariodl28,

I agree with your line and feel it's the more optimal way of playing the hand. I do have to say that I would probably bet slightly bigger on the flop, which would allow me to bet most of opponent's chips on the turn. In a 3-way pot and with a drawy board, I'd want to bet bigger with all my range.

Cheers