A good problem? Playing less after losing sessions

• viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

I'm starting to take the whole poker thing a bit serieus, since I realised there is some good money in this game ^^. I play the 22$ en 33$ sng's .

I've started to set goals etc. for myself, but monthly goals (so there's really never alot of "short-term" stress about volume, profit, ...). I'm struggling to get some volume in, but I have a lot of stuff going on right now and don't have much time to play. I'm trying to play 600 sng's every month.

I play sng's, so variance is commenplace. I notice I'm inclined to play less after a losing session/multiple losing or breakeven sessions.
      This is a problem, because I get a lot less volume down (in the long run it adds up), and I'm sure my game is still fundamentaly profitable even when I'm in a "baby-tilt".

There are ofcourse also upsides:
      - smaller chance I go monkey-crazy fucking tillt after bad days
      - When I play less I work on my game

When I don't play I'm still judging hands, posting on the handsboard and generaly thinking about my game. I often had "aha-erlebenisen", realised something about the game that was previously unclear. So in general these "pauzes" are good for my game and tiltcontrol

So what's best? Pushing through some more volume (aka reaching my volume goals.. I'm a real slacker :tongue: ) or don't push myself to much?

I'm hoping to get some reply's here from players who play high volume, or from other players who struggle with this problem. Let's get a nice discussion going.
  • 3 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I go slower during a downswing, due to tilt and because I may have a leak that I need to fix. So I post my hands on the forum and if they were played correctly Im happy, if they werent I try to understand why I shouldnt play that way so it doesnt happen again.
      I rarely lose a big pot or two and continue to play my A-game, it takes practice and experience I guess.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Although it's clear that money comes with volume I think you're doing the right thing. You still need to keep learning (as does everybody) so you might minimise the chance of a big tilt at the same time. I used to play a lot even when losing but that only meant more money lost. So I'm glad that I am able to stop playing when I feel it's not really going my way and spend the time learnin like you do.
      I don't think even long term volume goals are a very good idea. In my experience I make the most money when I feel that the conditions are right and make very little or even lose some when I'm just trying to play as much as I can..
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LuborC
      Although it's clear that money comes with volume I think you're doing the right thing. You still need to keep learning (as does everybody) so you might minimise the chance of a big tilt at the same time. I used to play a lot even when losing but that only meant more money lost. So I'm glad that I am able to stop playing when I feel it's not really going my way and spend the time learnin like you do.
      I don't think even long term volume goals are a very good idea. In my experience I make the most money when I feel that the conditions are right and make very little or even lose some when I'm just trying to play as much as I can..
      This is soo true. I think you need to find a balance. I just discovered that volume is the
      key to getting through periods of ups and downs and flatlines and I am happier to be
      playing up to 18 SNGs a session.

But since November, I have only played 60 days.

When I am feeling sick, or tired, or just like bothered in general I will not play at all.
      I will do as you do viewer, study read watch videos etc etc.

So when I am in the mood for it, I get the volume in. But when I am feeling the tilt comming
      I stop. And sometimes it takes more then a day to go back to it, but I think it is important to
      enjoy playing. Otherwise it would be like dragging myself through something I do not want to do.

And that would make this game not be a hobby anymore but a curse.

I set my goal to be at ~100 SNGs a week. That is easy to reach just 2 sessions, and I am
      almost half way there. But if I am not up for it I would rather not meet my goal and
      keep my bankroll.