Welcome to Poker, you Suck!

• Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      Hey Everyone :f_biggrin:

I am back with another blog for another run at poker. I started trying to do well at poker about 4 years ago, and since then I have been attempting to win on and off with little success. Mindset what the biggest problem in the beginning. I was too results orientated and I cared too much about the money. The swings got to me and I would quit. I never felt like I had a general understanding of how to play. I and memorized to many facts but didn't really understand what they meant. Without a general principle of what to do I quickly become frustrated. I did find some success in 2015, when I used a famous pdf that had standard lines to follow, but I again didn't really understand why I was doing what I was doing and had a hard time devating. I have had a shift in mindset since then. I fell in love with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and decided that I was for sure going to learn it. I got my butt kicked every day for about a year, it didn't matter if they were big or small, man or woman, I got strangled. But I didn't focus on tapping people or who tapped me I just tried to improve. Little by little I went from the nail to become the hammer. This experience taught me that in order to truly learn something I need a principle based approach, and I need to: work hard, accept that I suck, and not be afraid to look stupid. Being bad is temporary, and as long as I continue to try to get better and learn then I will have success.

I plan to take this same approach with Poker. I accept that I am a crappy losing player, who needs to study and ask lots of questions. But all I care about is that I am a little bit better than I was the day or week before. In Jiu jitsu all I aimed to do was fix one thing and the day is a success. As long as I study and fix a mistake a day then I today is successful. Jiu jitsu at this point takes priority over poker, but I will still study and play as much as I can. Fixing one thing at a time. My goal is to get good enough to be winning at small stakes, like NL100-NL200. I think that is the dream for most players, but I am trying to get away from just memorizing certain lines that are profitable at the micros. If I know why they are profitable, and how I learn how to construct my ranges based on population reads then I will use it, but I want to start with an understanding of how to construct ranges, and theoretically correct ones at first, then make adjustments for micros, rather than the popular approach which seems to go the other way. I don't want to start learning poker once I can grind out enough of a BR to hit NL50 or whatever. This might be a tougher way to go about it, but ultimately I feel like it will pay off in the long run.

This blog will serve as an outlet for me feelings, thoughts, lessons that I have learned. I will also post my homework here, which will have a different theme for off the table study. I will also post my results. I wondered if I shouldn't be posting them because of tilt issues, but I think if I truly want to not be results orientated, and if I am truly not afraid to look stupid that I will post my graphs, and I will laugh when the green line drops like a lead plane, and I will fix mistakes one at a time. I will also post hands here and talk about my thought process. I think it is extremely important to get as much feedback as possible. I have a few poker friends who I trust and I might post their thoughts after talking to them as well. I will likely do a range analysis for a certain situation on 2 or 3 boards for homework until I get a better idea of how I should be playing. Once I get some hands in I will likely do it on real hands that I played and that I can talk about. I feel that I have good enough Pre-flop ranges, so I will primarily focus on studying post flop for the next while, will have a theme for each post. (Example Pre-flop raiser IP)

I withdrew my roll from stars and then I deposited $150USD into a shiny new partypoker account. Going to try and get as much of that deposit bonus as I can and hopefully I don't go busto. I have a 15 inch laptop and don't want to pay money for a bigger monitor just yet, so I will be playing NL5 Fast Forward with 1 table for now, and I will add more once I feel like I start getting bored.

Current Stats
      BR: $150USD
      Going to post a range analysis soon!
  • 25 replies
    • Eatyourpeas
      Eatyourpeas
      Bronze
      Great opening post!

Really looking forward to seeing you work here. I think your martial arts journey is going to help you a lot!

I really like the way you say you are going to go about this.

Mindset is everything. Good luck my man.
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Following with great interest - fantastic opening post, look forward to what will come out of it all!
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      The importance of fundamentals: a lesson from the mat
      When I first started my Jiu jitsu journey, the process seemed simple. Memorize the steps to each technique and then use it in rolling. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that it is not that simple. General principles that apply to make the techniques work need to be understood, and a sensitivity needs to be mastered for a technique to be successful. An example of this often comes in the form of being in the bottom of side mount. As a new white belt I spent most of my time being held down on the mat by a more proficient user. I learned 3 or 4 escapes and would constantly run through the steps over and over again only to completely fail. It is common for a white belt to know 5 or 6 escapes but still not be able to get out of the bottom. A mistake most people make is to widen their knowledge and not deepen it. This means they look for more escapes claiming the simple, bread and butter ones that they know don't work. I could see upper belts using them successfully on each other, so I knew they worked, but I kept looking for a magic detail that would fix it. It wasn't until I learned a new escape that taught me the importance of having strong frames to make things work. Frames, in this context, is using your forearms against your partners body to keep a distance between the two of you. Their chest to your forearm connection is a much more comfortable place to be than chest to chest. The most fundamental escape is called a "Shrimp escape", where you bridge off the ground to make space and you shoot your hips back and get your shin in between you and their hips. What I was missing with this escape was having a good connection with frames, something that needs to be felt, and not taught. It is often shown to be something simple and is skipped over quite fast, but it is a fundamental concept that is used in all positions and until it is understood and mastered many of the techniques that use it just won't work. Once I used my frames to get a good connection to my partner I could then effectively bridge and efficiently transfer my momentum into my partner giving myself more space and I could bring my shin back between the two of use and retain my guard. Escapes are a very deep topic, and against skills opponents you generally need to transfer from one technique to another, but until this basic concept is really understood you will not be able to use leverage properly to get out of a inferior position. The importance of the mastering the basics is clear. It is the foundation for everything, and without it you will not get your back off the ground.

I feel the analogy for poker from my story above is range and analysis and hand reading. We can have these amazing lines, but if we are terrible at hand reading we will not be able to accurately apply these lines. I see a lot of coaches and courses offering to build your solid fundamental poker, but the focus is on standard lines. While they lines are fundamental following them because: "that is what the course said" isn't fundamental. Much like how I was doing a fundamental technique without having the fundamentals down. I don't think the line is as important and to why it is fundamental. It is for this reason I am going to be looking at analyzing my range, against different positions and working out my value, medium, bluff, and trash range. By analyzing these ranges and getting a sensitivity to where I am, I will build the fundamental skill behind the fundamental line and will get better.

Homework
      Below I constructed two ranges for my CO vs BB SRP where we are the raiser.

1 (Green) = Value
      2 (Grey) = Medium
      3 (Yellow) = Bluff
      4 (Purple) = Trash/Fold

This one I checked my work from the training site I am on. The BB calling range is so wide, and we have a lot of value hands so we need to find some hands to bluff with. If I understand the bluff range here: We want to bluff the Q high hands to fold out better hands, and we check behind with the K hands, both QJ and KQ have the same likely hood to hit a pair, so we bluff with Q to fold out more equity, and check behind with K.

The next one I did myself and the color code isn't perfect, since I had some suit specific hands so I broke down the hand types and combo numbers after.

So my Values hands are: Sets, two pairs overpairs and best top pairs (51 Combos) **NOTE I deceded to put KQ into value this is wrong on the image**
      Medium strength: medium pairs and lower top pairs (62 Combos)
      Bluffs: Flush draws, OESD, Gutshots. (80 Combos) ( I think I ended up including A9s after as well.)
      Folds: Everything else (77 combos) I think folding a lot of the Ax is okay here, since I don't know how BB should catch this board well enough that A high is going to be hard to show down.

I am not sure if I unconsciously made all the combos within 15 of each other, or is that is okay for this board, but since the BB calling range is so wide it kind of makes sense. Against the image isn't 100% accurate with how I did it in the end.

My method was to figure out a value range, and then medium strength hands and try and work out the bluff and check behind ranges from there.

This was actually really difficult to work out. I can really see the importance in doing work like this. It really leads to having a sensitivity to where you are at.

That is about all I want to post for today. I will start playing tonight, so hopefully I can take some of what I was learning here to the tables tonight. All feedback is apprecated here. I may be way off base here.
    • Eatyourpeas
      Eatyourpeas
      Bronze
      Wow.

Well firstly that analogy to BJJ was awesome. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in my poker journey is trying to learn too many different things and not mastering one concept. The adult learning model calls this mastery Unconscious Competence and it is a fact of life!

Secondly, as we just discussed yes you are slightly off on your ratios of bluff to value in your second analysis there. But ths important thing is that YOU ARE DOING THIS STUFF! So well played!

The thing I "think" you have got wrong here is your flop value combo count. I think it should be 36 (very quick count up in head). So actually you might be closer than you think overall.

Really nice work amigo.
    • la55i
      la55i
      This blog looks very promising :f_drink: I'll start following your blog :)

Keep up the good work :gl:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Welcome Back :f_drink:

Looking forward to reading your future posts and more about your Jiu jitsu journey too :f_thumbsup:
      Will you be taking part in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now! ??

Good luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      Originally posted by Eatyourpeas
      Wow.

Well firstly that analogy to BJJ was awesome. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in my poker journey is trying to learn too many different things and not mastering one concept. The adult learning model calls this mastery Unconscious Competence and it is a fact of life!

Secondly, as we just discussed yes you are slightly off on your ratios of bluff to value in your second analysis there. But ths important thing is that YOU ARE DOING THIS STUFF! So well played!

The thing I "think" you have got wrong here is your flop value combo count. I think it should be 36 (very quick count up in head). So actually you might be closer than you think overall.

Really nice work amigo.
      Yeah it turns out I wasn't discouting cards out the ratio was a lot closer than I thought. Still on the value heavy side, but we will fix it.

The First few sessions
      Much like my first few time on the mats my feeling could be classified as uncomfortable. I felt lost in so many situations and I felt like I was over thinking too much. A naturally humbling experience to say the least. I think there is an important lesson to learn and that is being comfortable in uncomfortable situations. Another one of the great lessons from Jiu jitsu. Being in a spot where you don't know what to do, especially in a physical altercation like in Jiu jitsu it is common for people to panic, flail, make a mistake and get caught in the submission forcing a tap. The lesson to learn here it to stay calm in situations where you may be uncomfortable, and stick to your fundamentals. You might not make the right choice, but you will unlikely make the worst choice. We must stay calm and use our knowledge in bad situations, if we panic and spout off a stack we have hurt our WR and are more likely to go on tilt and panic more.

Despite this I think I have been running pretty well.

I am going to post three hand where I had varying degrees of success and give my analysis on them.

This first line feels pretty standard. The basic fish min raising the river, not much needed for analysis here. I don't think I have ever seen a fish bluff here. The hand is in the spoiler.
      partypoker - $0.04 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 205 BB
      Hero (SB): 109.6 BB
      BB: 149 BB
      UTG: 204 BB
      MP: 109.8 BB
      CO: 326.2 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:diamond: K:heart:

fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB

Flop: (9 BB, 2 players) 2:club: 9:spade: T:heart:
      Hero bets 5.6 BB, BTN calls 5.6 BB

Turn: (20.2 BB, 2 players) T:spade:
      Hero bets 12.8 BB, BTN calls 12.8 BB

River: (45.8 BB, 2 players) 4:diamond:
      Hero bets 21.8 BB, BTN raises to 43.6 BB, fold

BTN wins 106.8 BB

The second hand shows how much of a Nit I am. To be perfectly honest I was over thinking it I think, a turn call and the n c/f river would be okay, but I will post the hand and then do some analysis on it.

BTN: 509.2 BB
      Hero (SB): 192.2 BB
      BB: 100 BB
      UTG: 243 BB
      MP: 111.2 BB
      CO: 100 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T:spade: T:diamond:

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2.6 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 7:club: 7:spade: 3:heart:
      Hero checks, UTG bets 2.6 BB, Hero calls 2.6 BB

Turn: (12.2 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:
      Hero checks, UTG bets 4.2 BB, fold

UTG wins 15.8 BB

It's funny I did not realize until posting this that he bet the turn so small. Now I feel even more silly. Giving the villian a range pre-flop of and looking at our pre-flop equity.

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    37.89%  37.41%   0.48% { 22+, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, AJo+, KQo }
      SB     62.11%  61.64%   0.48% { TdTs }

Going into the flop I expect him to cbet a wide range here, but OTT I am a little lost. Given the bet size is so small, it's a call for sure now. I am not sure how often villan cbets, so even if I give him or her a tight range my equity is still pretty good.

Board: 7:club: 7:spade: 3:heart:  4:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    60.78%  59.91%   0.86% { 77+, A7s, 87s, 76s, AdKd, AsQs, KsQs, AsJs, QsJs, AsTs, QsTs, JsTs, As9s, Js9s, Ts9s, As8s, 9s8s, As6s, As5s, 6s5s, As4s, As3s, As2s }
      SB     39.22%  38.36%   0.86% { TdTs }

I only need 20% equity to call that bet, and even against this pessimistic range I am still in good shape.

Against a more optimistic range (Assume they are cbetting all their overs and continue on turn with overpairs+, FD, and AK)

Board: 7:club: 7:spade: 3:heart:  4:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    49.67%  49.01%   0.66% { 77+, AKs, A7s, 87s, 76s, AsQs, KsQs, AsJs, KdJd, QsJs, AsTs, KdTd, QsTs, JsTs, As9s, Kd9d, Qd9d, Js9s, Ts9s, As8s, 9s8s, As6s, As5s, 6s5s, As4s, As3s, As2s, AKo }
      SB     50.33%  49.67%   0.66% { TdTs }

Which is even better for me, so even against a 2/3 pot bet we have a call here.

Doing this analysis has really helped me feel like how good of a spot I was in. :f_thumbsup: I am now a better poker player.

This last hand is the one where I am really confused. The hand is below and then I will write about it.

BTN: 356.8 BB
      SB: 236.2 BB
      BB: 106.6 BB
      Hero (UTG): 124.2 BB
      MP: 66.6 BB
      CO: 95 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 8:club: 8:spade:

Hero raises to 2.4 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 2.4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (6.2 BB, 2 players) Q:heart: 7:heart: 2:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

Turn: (14.2 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (14.2 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 10.2 BB, fold

BTN wins 23.8 BB

On the river I feel like this is a good spot for him to bluff. I am not sure if I have a bluff catcher here.
      If he calls a range like this
      Pre: JJ-22, AQs-ATs, KTs+, QTs+, J9s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, AQo-AJo

On the river I don't think he has a FD, Set or High Q, I think he would have get his draws OTT, so I could see him playing his Jx low Q hands, and he would probably take this line wif he called flop with a 7. I just can't think of what he would bluff with here, I am not sure if he would check behind after hitting a J either, maybe he would bet there.

Either way I just, personally don't see a lot of hands where he would bet, check behind then bluff the river. Feedback on this hand would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

As for now I am not putting in a lot of volume, I am taking the route where once I get some hands that confused me I study them, then continue playing.

I have been thinking about what I will do for results, and I think I will probably post a graph about ever 10k-20k hands or so. My sessions are kind of short and without significant volume if I posted a daily or weekly graph it would probably just look like a meaningless step function. I really like the philosophical aspect of where I am going with this blog. Okay that is all for today.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      having achieved a decent level in many gaming communities (poker, chess, ...), i feel that a common trait in people that break out of "mediocrity hell" is that they truly want to understand the subjects at hand and are brutally honest with themselves. you got this, sir.

i'll give my thoughts as a "retired" player.

hand 1 (KK): you are obviously up against a recreational player. while you should still trying to assess their ranges, you can be unbalanced with your bet sizes, so i'd tend towards bigger bets.
      preflop: raise to 5BB at least, he probably still won't fold
      flop: besides one pair hands, there are also many oesd and gutshots possible and i don't think he folds, so betting at least 3/4 pot
      turn: not happy to see this card, but you can still bet against pairs and draws. probably betting 2/3 pot
      river: seems ok, sizing can allow him to cry call with 9x hands or even random pocket pairs. vs the raise i agree that it's unlikely he's bluffing

hand 2 (TT): it still would be a call even against standard sizings, this is definitely pretty high up in your range. facing a river bet would be annoying but you think about that when you get there.
      in any case, a quick note on pot odds before the river - when you call before showdown, there's always the chance that you'll be bullied into folding in later streets, so you actually don't get to realize all of your equity.

hand 3 (88): haven't done put any serious thought on it but my reflex is to play it the same way. it's a decent spot to bluff too, but on the river he should probably bet all his Jx since your hand looks weaker than Qx and you don't have any Jx either
    • la55i
      la55i
      My quick thoughts about the 88 hand:

Villain could play some flush and straight draws this way. Also some Jx or weak Qx?
      You probably could check the flop with some weak Qx,88,99 and your checking range might have some Jx too? I think this isn't too high in your range and since I believe micro players will not bluff often enough, I think it is ok to fold.
    • Eatyourpeas
      Eatyourpeas
      Bronze
      H1 - KdKd - Nice fold and well played. I would iso bigger preflop 5-6bb and bet flop bigger too (8bb). I would lose more than you here.

H2 - TT - Yeah easy call. This looks like he is protection betting a worse hand than yours. It is just really doubtful he bets JJ-AA this small twice. Anyway, play your range not his (we have no idea of his) and call that mofo!

H3 - First impression you can easily fold on the river. You have some Qx in your range and some Jx that you can call and this is too weak. Villain can definitely play a Jx or trips like this and as you say he probably bets turn with FD.

---

Blog is brilliant imo. You are deffo heading in the right direction.

Wrt to graphs unless you got 100k+ hands nobody cares anyway (except fish) and neither should you (as long as you are working like this).
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      How do we use theory?
      I have spent far too long in school. I have a BSc in Geophysics and a MSc in Integrated Petroleum Geoscience, and I am not back in school for Computer Science. In my MSc I did a lot of in applied science, where we would put theory into practice. I did a lot of computer modelling where we would optimize physical equations to image the subsurface. The practice involved a lot of theory and making assumptions about the subsurface to get an image that could be used for a variety of purposes. It was often hard for people to understand that we would make broad assumptions that are generally incorrect. However it wasn't wrong enough to make accurate predictions. We just had to look at it from a large scale perspective. In general this is how many theories are constructed. We make an assumption that isn't 100% true, but it isn't wrong enough for us to matter. We could always use theory and then adjust out model on more a priori knowledge later. The topics in Poker are the same we use these theoretical approaches all the time. Many of these approaches, like Nash equilibrium, make assumptions that might not be true, but we can use it as a good starting point. We generally approach the game with assumptions that are over simplified from what is really going on. When we use over-simplified predictions this is generally referred to as underfitting. We like to under fit because it allows up to make predictions with less information with a trade off of having less precision and losing some accuracy. But It is rarely the case that we are so far away from the true solution. Often if we need to be more precision we can make another approximation after the fact. So we use theory and approximations to get us efficiently close to the right direction. It is important here that just because we make some assumptions that aren't right to 100% precision that doesn't mean they are no good. I think a good analogy to this is a signpost, it points us in the right direction, but it may not point directly to the place we want to go. I may revisit this topic in greater detail later on, because I am feeling a little tired from playing, studying, and Jiu jitsu.

Today's homework
      Today I am going to post some of the range studying I did. I looked at my RFI against an estimate of an MP calling range, and picked out my range for some boards and found it still a little challenging. The first board I looked at was a low connected board. Both of us had a lot of over pairs here.

Some of the classifcation may not be 100% correct since some might be for Flush draws, or something only.

We have 174 combos in this range, and Villian's calling range will have a lot of overpairs as well, so I picked these value hands.

Value: 77,66,76,AA,KK,QQ,JJ (32 Combos)
      Check/Call (for 2/3 bet need about 45 combos for 60% of remaining range): TT,99,88, 87, A4s, AKs, AKo, AQ
      Bluff (Need ~64 combos for bluffs): Flushdraw, OESD, Guthot, 2 Card backdoor FD (no AK), JTs, QJs, Qts, KQo ~64
      Fold: The rest.

My value range might be a little heavy here, but I think it is good. In practice idk if I would bluff JTs, here, but this shows me that my intuition is to over fold here, this is again from rules of thumb, but I would probably not be bluffing enough either. Against someone who calls too much I would not be bluffing this much, and would probably put TT into the value range.

Second board

Value: QQ, 99, 77, AA, KK, AQ (33 combos)
      Check Call (Against 2/3 bet Need ~40 combos): KQ, QJs, QTs,JJ, J9s,TT, T9s, 98s
      Bluffs: FD (No pair), OESD, Gutshots, 2card BDFD, AK, AJo, AJhh, AJdd, 87s, 76s
      Fold: the rest

I found the bluffs to be especally tricky. I use AK, for the 6 outs to Top Pair, 87s, 76s, for the 5 outs to trips 2p, and AJ was the only ones left. As I think about it now It might be better to Bet more AsX hands than AJo. Going forward that is more likely what I will do. I just ran out of combos near the end and didn't think about AsX hands.

That is it for today. I need to get ready for Jiu jitsu and then I will play tonight once I get back.
    • Eatyourpeas
      Eatyourpeas
      Bronze
      Really impressive work!

Nice stuff at the beginning too. Enlightening!

Just something about the Qs9c7s board...

If I think about MY calling range if I was villain here (MP v UTG) I know that this flop is about as good as it gets for me. I feel like I am murdering UTG! This is MP's flop.

Now I know you don't enter all the flop bluffs here but your suggestion is that you bluff 66 combos and value bet 33 = 99 combos total.

That is going to give you a flop cbet of 99/160x100 = 61.875%

I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is a mistake and as you get higher up you will get killed for this!

I would not be surprised if you put all this into Piosolver that UTG would check almost it's entire range and cbet like 10% maximum.

Just food for thought though mate, like you said above - we make assumptions and then get closer.

Once again, great work - admirable!
    • N3bojsa
      N3bojsa
      Bronze
      I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is a mistake and as you get higher up you will get killed for this!
      why? How?
    • Eatyourpeas
      Eatyourpeas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by N3bojsa
      why? How?
      Don't want to derail blog but...

UTG value range cannot stand the heat on too many run outs (dynamic board).
      UTG cbet range has to fold too much to a raise (or call too weak).
      UTG checking range is too weak to take heat (biggest problem against good players).

This is a very dynamic board which means position is HUGE.
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      Building Skill vs Testing Skill
      A lot of times in Jiu jitsu a student will drill a specific technique for hundreds of repetitions to build a tool to make their game better. I often see dedicated students drilling a technique or sequence in class, or at open mat and then hop into rolling (sparring) and then put their entire focus into tapping out their partner. I think this is a flaw. There is a difference between building skill and testing skill. When rolling you goals for that round will dictate if you are building skill or testing it. When you are just trying to win you are testing skill, but when you go into sparring with a goal to work a technique or a position you are building skill. I think this habit comes often as an issue with ego. A blue belt may be sparring with a white belt and feel pressure to tap them since they are a higher rank. If the blue belt starts working something they are weak at and may need to improve they might not get the tap. Overcoming this has helped me greatly. Being smaller (150lbs, 5'7") I really struggled with top game: passing the guard, side mount control, but since I have dexterity and flexibility in my hips and legs I found my guard to be something that came easily to me and I could get triangle chokes quite often. Once I decided I wanted to get good at working my back I needed to get good at getting on top, staying there and taking the back. Finding guard passing particularly frustrating I needed to study and work it as much as I can. I did not get very many taps, but I was getting better. I also put restrictions on myself: when on my back I would only allow myself to use sweeps that would force me to pass the guard after. When in side control I would only allow myself to take the back and control and then run through my control maintenance techniques. I would only then allow myself to go for a submission (my favourite: the rear naked choke or I would transition to the arm bar). This skill building is what makes you better, testing it has much less dividends in the respect. I believe in the 80/20 rule where 80% of our time on the mats should be dedicated to building skill and the 20% should be to testing it.

This does not transfer as nicely into poker as handicapping yourself isn't as much of a option to build skill, but I I think we need to play with the intention to focus on the spots we were studying previously. It is also important to make a decision you feel is correct without worrying about it costing you money, mark the hand instantly regardless of the result, we check to see if we were correct off the table after. Being scared to make mistakes is to handicap your learning. Once those mistakes are learned, we don't repeat them and we become even more profitable. By going to the tables, or mats, with the mindset of improving we invest in the future.

Study

I analyzed some hands where I am button and BB calls. I will likely do this position again tomorrow since it is so common. And i feel so lost when I am at the tables.

Board: :Ts: :7s: :5d:
      Value: Sets (TT,77,55), Two pair (T7s, 75s), Overpairs (AA, KK, QQ, JJ) Toppair(AT, KT, QT, JT). 86 Combos. (This might be too many top pair hands, may need to take JT, QT out.)

Middle Strength: T9, T8, T6s, x7 hands, AK, AQ, AJ. 123 Combos

Bluff: Flushdraw, OESD, GS, 2CrdBDFD, low pairs ( for 2pair trip outs, improves to better than TP). 201 combos

Trash: the rest

Board: :Ah: :Jd: :2d:
      Value: AA,JJ,22,AJ, A2, AK, AQ, AT (75 combos)
      MiddleStrength: A3-A9, middle pair (134 combos)
      Bluff: FD, GS, 2cdBDFD, QT, 9T (152 combos)
      Trash: The rest

I found making these ranges to be challenging. My range was so wide, I find on the second board I am only cbetting like 40% of hands, so I don't know if that is too low for that position or what. Any feedback from the community on this would be great! I got a lot of great, amazing help so far, so thank you to everyone who has reached out. I found that I am probably not bluffing wide enough here. I found I often needed to add in more card than I thought.

Hand analysis: I am truly a poker white belt.
      I am glad I am studying because I need to get better. Here are some hands, and here is what I think of them.
      Hand 1:

BTN: 101.2 BB
      SB: 123.8 BB
      Hero (BB): 100.6 BB
      UTG: 116.8 BB
      MP: 111.2 BB
      CO: 100.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J:heart: Q:heart:

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) 8:club: K:heart: A:heart:
      Hero checks, MP bets 4.6 BB, Hero raises to 13.8 BB, MP raises to 28 BB, Hero calls 14.2 BB

Turn: (62.4 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero checks, MP bets 40.4 BB, Hero raises to 69.6 BB and is all-in, MP calls 29.2 BB

River: (201.6 BB, 2 players) 4:heart:

MP shows A:spade: T:spade: (One Pair, Aces)
      (Pre 57%, Flop 57%, Turn 70%)
      Hero shows J:heart: Q:heart: (Flush, Ace High)
      (Pre 43%, Flop 43%, Turn 30%)
      Hero wins 191.6 BB

Honestly here I probably should have stuck it in on the flop. MP vs BB I know he has a lot of AX in his range here, but I also had a Nut Flush draw and a nut Gutshot, so I raised because if I hit I could play a pot with the nuts. When he min 3bet me I should have probably just put the whole thing in, but for some reason I called (great odds?). I think this is a mistake because a heart, or a T would probably kill the action, maybe he is pot committed and it doesn't matter I don't know. Once the turn came I stuck it in I just got 2pair and trip outs. I think that most of the time 2pair and trip outs might not be good here since people are more likely to do this is AK, A8, AA, AK, 88. I just got lucky and he wasn't giving up AT.

Lets do some calculation against a range of: [FONT=courier new][SIZE=12]

Board: 8:club: K:heart: A:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    57.69%  57.53%   0.17% { KK+, 88, ATs+, ATo+ }
      MP3    42.31%  42.14%   0.17% { QhJh }

Which I think is a little loose, but is likely close to this specific player. For interest sake against something like:

Board: 8:club: K:heart: A:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    59.21%  59.06%   0.15% { KK+, 88, AQs+, AQo+ }
      MP3    40.79%  40.64%   0.15% { QhJh }

So calling isn't really a mistake here. On the shove I would have odds of :( 100 - 3 - 13.8)/200 = ~42%, I am not sure if I would have any fold equity, but I wasn't too far off. OTT I need 70/200 ~35% equity. Which isn't close to being enough. I was at a choice to put it all in on the turn or fold. I also have t account for the rake so it makes it even worse.

So now I am questioning if it was right to raise on the flop, but if I am not going to raise with my nut draws (to play a big pot if they hit) then I don't know. But on the flop raise I would have fold equity against most players. This was read less. Anyway I am still not sure what the right move is, I guess call the 3bet for odds and fold turn. Let me know what you think here.

BTN: 247.8 BB
      Hero (SB): 100 BB
      BB: 114 BB
      UTG: 502.8 BB
      MP: 119.2 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 8:spade: 8:heart:

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, Hero calls 2.6 BB, BB raises to 10 BB, UTG calls 7 BB, BTN calls 7 BB, Hero calls 7 BB

Flop: (40 BB, 4 players) 3:club: 2:heart: 9:spade:
      Hero checks, BB bets 20.8 BB, fold, BTN calls 20.8 BB, fold

Turn: (81.6 BB, 2 players) A:spade:
      BB bets 28.6 BB, BTN calls 28.6 BB

River: (138.8 BB, 2 players) 5:club:
      BB checks, BTN bets 132 BB, BB calls 54.6 BB and is all-in

BTN shows 3:spade: 4:spade: (Straight, Five High)
      (Pre 38%, Flop 75%, Turn 38%)
      BB mucks K:heart: A:heart: (One Pair, Aces)
      (Pre 62%, Flop 25%, Turn 62%)
      BTN wins 77.4 BB
      BTN wins 235.6 BB

These big multiway hands I get confused with. Middle pair 4 way I just feel like it is so unlikely that I can get to showdown here in these big multiway pots. This feels really tight to be honest.

Hero (BTN): 101.4 BB
      SB: 98.2 BB
      BB: 156 BB
      UTG: 160.4 BB
      MP: 211.2 BB
      CO: 104.2 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9:heart: T:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, SB raises to 3.8 BB, fold, Hero calls 1.4 BB

Flop: (8.6 BB, 2 players) 8:spade: Q:club: J:club:
      SB bets 5.4 BB, Hero raises to 17 BB, SB calls 11.6 BB

Turn: (42.6 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets 19.2 BB, SB calls 19.2 BB

River: (81 BB, 2 players) K:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets 61.4 BB and is all-in, fold

Hero wins 138.4 BB

This hand was pretty easy imo. SB did a werido 3bet and I had to call, I flop a straight. I raise because he 3bet me and probably just mashed the raise button, so i raised a little bigger. On the turn I bet half pot thinking I could jam the river, and I get a fold. But here I wonder about his range on the river. A jam might not be the best choice on this river card because I think he would play a lot of flush draws this way, the K might have honestly helped him, but at the same time he is a fish and still would call with bad stuff. Let me know what you think.

Hero (BTN): 101.4 BB
      SB: 114.2 BB
      BB: 99 BB
      UTG: 156 BB
      MP: 194.6 BB
      CO: 109.2 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:spade: Q:heart:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, BB raises to 20.2 BB, fold, fold

BB wins 32.6 BB

This had is just to show you how uncomfortable I am with 4bets. Especally this one from BB, so I think this fold is okay since I don't know if enough players bluff like this. I just think AA,KK,AK here. Maybe this fold is extremely nitty, I don't know, but I don't really. I think once I learn about 4bet pots I will have a better idea of what to do here, but I don't think this fold is too terrible for now.

(EDIT)
      I did some analysis on this hand and I need ~25% to call. (11/44)

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    75.58%  74.21%   1.37% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }
      MP3    24.42%  23.05%   1.37% { AQo }

So I am pretty close. If my range is correct on what he is 4betting there I think it is okay to fold.

I have been marking a bunch of hands for analysis and have been going over them, but I wanted to show these to really show how much more work I need to do in my game. I still get in a lot of spots where I feel uncomfortable, and still don't have a lot of confidence. I just will keep studying and keep trying to improve. One thing at a time.

I worry about my mindset here. I have to be honest I will study a lot and then not play as much. I think this will get better as I get more confidence, but the confidence is going to come from playing, so I need to recognize I might have an issue with avoidance and stomp it out. Let me know if any of you suffer from this.

I think I would likely benefit from a coach, since I feel like I have so many questions.
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      Hey there, I went on a lot of rambling on the last post so I feel like this post I am going to keep it small.

Efficiency in thought process
      Lately while playing I find I am forgetting some valuable pieces of information while playing. I will often forget to check Villian's stack size when I would do a standard 3b. This may go away, but it reminded me of when I played Starcraft for a short stint. In Starcraft being efficient with key pressing and being organized with your thought process is very important. Starcraft has a nice balance of high level strategy and mechanical reflex to make it, in my opinion, one of the most challenging games there is. Starcraft players use what is called a macro cycle to be as efficient as possible when playing the game. They do the things that require reflexive action in the same order every period of time to have as much spare time for higher level choices and to be sure they do not forget anything. More about the macrocycle can be see here:

While poker does not have nearly the amount of mental pressure on a player I think when multi tabling becomes important we need to be as efficient with our decision making process to optimize our hands played in a session to make the most amount of profit. For a little minnow one tabling NL5 like me this isn't really important because I never really feel crunched for time to make a decision, but it is much easier to make a habit than to break one so I think it is good for me to implement this earlier rather than later. Pre-flop and postflop I will ask myself the same set of questions to make sure I am not missing something and when it becomes automatic I will be able to be much more efficient when playing.

I am still working out the best way to do this, so far my rough draft is:

Pre-Flop
      -What are my holdings & position.
      -What is villian's action & position.
      -What are relative stack sizes.
      -What read/stats do I have

Post-Flop
      -What is preflop action
      -What is board and SPR
      -How do my holdings fit into my default range here
      -What is villan's range and action
      -What is my action with adjustments, if needed

I am still working it out, but I feel this way I don't have to look for more info than is needed. I don't need to know what UTG is doing with 27o in MP, so this way when I am focusing more on grinding then I can maximize the hourly.

Study
      I have been noticing that I could be picking better hands to bluff, so I have made that adjustment when I study my range and hand classification against board textures.

Green = Value
      Grey = middle
      Yellow = bluff
      Purple = garbage

The colors don't include flushdraws and included BDFDs I added the combos in after.

Gives 60 value combos, 130 bluff combos, 239 middle strength combos and the reamining 177 combos are to be folded out. Perhaps I have too many middle strength hands, but if my training site has taught me anything it's that I am a bit of a nit, so I think this is okay.

The cbet % seems a little low here, it's about 33%, but I don't really think I should be adding anymore bluff combos, so I think it is okay.

Hands
      Hand 1

BTN: 99 BB
      SB: 206.6 BB
      BB: 128.4 BB
      UTG: 168.2 BB
      MP: 99 BB
      Hero (CO): 100 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:diamond: Q:diamond:

fold, MP calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 4 BB, BTN calls 4 BB, SB raises to 18 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 14 BB, fold

Flop: (42 BB, 2 players) 3:heart: 8:spade: 8:heart:
      SB bets 23 BB, Hero calls 23 BB

Turn: (88 BB, 2 players) A:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets 27.4 BB, fold

Hero wins 111 BB

Really wasn't sure about the call OTF here. I have been noticing from studying that I am a net, so I thought it might be a call here, and I don't think it is. Asked around and most people who seem like they know what they are doing said that that is a fold OTF. Learned. Moving on.

Second hand:

BTN: 77 BB
      SB: 41 BB
      Hero (BB): 138 BB
      UTG: 100 BB
      MP: 264.4 BB
      CO: 145 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:diamond: K:heart:

fold, fold, CO raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 7 BB, CO calls 5 BB

Flop: (14.4 BB, 2 players) 8:heart: 3:spade: 9:heart:
      Hero bets 6.8 BB, CO calls 6.8 BB

Turn: (28 BB, 2 players) A:club:
      Hero bets 17.6 BB, CO raises to 35.2 BB, Hero calls 17.6 BB

River: (98.4 BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets 29 BB, Hero calls 29 BB

CO shows 3:diamond: 3:club: (Full House, Threes full of Eights)
      (Pre 53%, Flop 96%, Turn 100%)
      Hero mucks A:diamond: K:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Eights)
      (Pre 47%, Flop 4%, Turn 0%)
      CO wins 148.6 BB

I don't know why I cbet the flop normally I would check back there, but I think with the min raise OTT and the small river I can't really let this go.

Let me know what you think.

Mindset
      Low confidence is the real issue I suffer with. Having a new training site I am out of my comfort zone. I don't think I learned poker the proper way before and I am nervous about getting into bad spots. I keep thinking about how I will have to make up losses for every mistake, but really I need to take my own advice here and trust that I am doing things in a way where I will improve and I will get better. I really need to start playing more hands. I am at about only 1k hands atm. The number 1 priority is learning and I am getting a lot out of all the studying I am doing but at some point I am going to have to just get a bunch of hands to find out if I am a winning player or not. I use to grind 1,200 hands a night (when I had no idea how to play), this is really nothing.

Something Eatyourpeas has been talking about in his blog are the different kinds of tilt, and I am sure I fit into those categories. I ran into a similar problem with Jiu jitsu, where I was nervous to roll, so I am sure as I get more confident I will be much less nervous about playing. As I was pulling out hands from PT4 it showed my my graph and I am actually up, which is a nice surprise.
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      Confidence is on the upswing
      I have to say that a lot of studying has begun to pay off. I am starting to stop myself in certain areas where I would have made a mistake before. Focusing on getting a better understanding of a good flop range construction has helped me pick spots where I may have missed a bluff, or should not have been bluffing. This mark of improvement is really nice.

Homework
      This weekend I have begun looking at ranges as the pre-flop caller, below is a range analysis that I did today.

The above range assumes a 2/3rd pot bet, and the combos are broken up down below:
      Value Raise: 44,33,k4s,k3s,43s (13 combos)
      Calling range: Top pairs, AcJx-Ac5x, medium pairs, non combo flush draws, QJo, QTo, A9dd-a4dd, A2, A5 (close to 200 combos, lost the count)
      Bluff range, 65s, 52s, 75, 76, a5dd, a2dd, Q2cc, Q5cc,Q6cc, J5cc, J9cc, QTcc, 85cc, 95cc (~26 Combos)
      Trash everything else

Defending with ~240 combos.

Picking the bluff rais combos was hard. There are so few OESDs and gutshots, so I picked the last few to be flush draws with some straigh potental on the turn. I also used backdoor FDs with the potental to make the nuts.

All and all I am feeling better about my game. I still am terrible, but I am noticing the improvement which is the huge moral booster. Just need to keep studying. Been playing more volume, a few short sessions a day to equate to about 60-90 minutes in total, but I find myself lost a lot less.

Doing these board exercises really helps get an idea of what I should be doing from a theory point of view, as I get better about thinking with my entire range I am noticing a lot better feeling about making certain calls or lay downs etc. Slow but steady.
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      Confidence is on the upswing
      I have to say that a lot of studying has begun to pay off. I am starting to stop myself in certain areas where I would have made a mistake before. Focusing on getting a better understanding of a good flop range construction has helped me pick spots where I may have missed a bluff, or should not have been bluffing. This mark of improvement is really nice.

Homework
      This weekend I have begun looking at ranges as the pre-flop caller, below is a range analysis that I did today.

The above range assumes a 2/3rd pot bet, and the combos are broken up down below:
      Value Raise: 44,33,k4s,k3s,43s (13 combos)
      Calling range: Top pairs, AcJx-Ac5x, medium pairs, non combo flush draws, QJo, QTo, A9dd-a4dd, A2, A5 (close to 200 combos, lost the count)
      Bluff range, 65s, 52s, 75, 76, a5dd, a2dd, Q2cc, Q5cc,Q6cc, J5cc, J9cc, QTcc, 85cc, 95cc (~26 Combos)
      Trash everything else

Defending with ~240 combos.

Picking the bluff rais combos was hard. There are so few OESDs and gutshots, so I picked the last few to be flush draws with some straigh potental on the turn. I also used backdoor FDs with the potental to make the nuts.

All and all I am feeling better about my game. I still am terrible, but I am noticing the improvement which is the huge moral booster. Just need to keep studying. Been playing more volume, a few short sessions a day to equate to about 60-90 minutes in total, but I find myself lost a lot less.

Doing these board exercises really helps get an idea of what I should be doing from a theory point of view, as I get better about thinking with my entire range I am noticing a lot better feeling about making certain calls or lay downs etc. Slow but steady.
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Silver
      Hey guys,

Been playing a lot more in the past few days and I am feeling better about everything. Going to post some hands.

Hero (BTN): 118.8 BB
      SB: 100 BB
      BB: 149.6 BB
      UTG: 173.4 BB
      MP: 170.8 BB
      CO: 107.6 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9:spade: 9:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to 2.4 BB, Hero calls 2.4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (6.2 BB, 2 players) 8:club: A:heart: 9:heart:
      CO checks, Hero bets 5.4 BB, CO calls 5.4 BB

Turn: (17 BB, 2 players) J:spade:
      CO checks, Hero bets 11.8 BB, CO calls 11.8 BB

River: (40.6 BB, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      CO checks, Hero bets 25.6 BB, fold

Hero wins 64.2 BB

What I didn't think about here was the flop check. I think that when he does this he is playing a lot of Medium strength hands and weak draws. I think I could have then bet the turn bigger, and the river smaller with intention to call.

BTN: 294.8 BB
      SB: 150.6 BB
      BB: 198 BB
      UTG: 100 BB
      MP: 159.6 BB
      Hero (CO): 103.2 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:diamond: K:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, fold, SB calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.4 BB

Flop: (7.2 BB, 3 players) T:club: 2:diamond: 8:spade:
      SB checks, BB bets 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB, SB calls 2 BB

Turn: (13.2 BB, 3 players) K:club:
      SB checks, BB bets 4 BB, Hero raises to 14 BB, fold, BB calls 10 BB

River: (41.2 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
      BB bets 39.2 BB, Hero calls 39.2 BB

BB shows A:club: 8:club: (Flush, Ace High)
      (Pre 32%, Flop 25%, Turn 18%)
      Hero mucks K:diamond: K:heart: (Three of a Kind, Kings)
      (Pre 68%, Flop 75%, Turn 82%)
      BB wins 113.8 BB

This hand was kind of tilting. When people lead small like this I think it is usually a draw or a weak pair. I do remember seeing people do this with a weak 2pair as well. Since we were multiway I think I was far too much of a nit, and I should have just raised to 10bb OTF.

Turn again I think my raise was way to small here, especially with top set. This really felt like he was trying to give himself odds for a draw. I should probably have raised to 18bb.

On the River this is usually a strong line. I think I would be taking a similar line with my better flush and straight draws. The villian was really random, and I still think some fish take this line with weak 2pair to try to induce, so I think I still have to call here.

BTN: 140.8 BB
      SB: 101 BB
      BB: 311.2 BB
      Hero (UTG): 107.6 BB
      MP: 81.4 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:diamond:

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 2.6 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 4:spade: Q:spade: 7:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets 4.4 BB, SB calls 4.4 BB

Turn: (15.8 BB, 2 players) K:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets 10 BB, SB calls 10 BB

River: (35.8 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets 16 BB, SB raises to 39.2 BB, fold

SB wins 87.8 BB

I am such a nit. I think this is usually a pretty strong line, but I have been told a lot of people like to raise my small bet sizing here with busted flush draws. I should have probably bet 12bb on the turn as well. I think it is close since this line is the nuts so often, but the river doesn't change very much and they would probably raise sets and 2pair OTF, and KQ would raise OTT, so it's probably a call.

This is so sick

BTN: 109.4 BB
      Hero (SB): 109.8 BB
      BB: 51.8 BB
      UTG: 189.8 BB
      MP: 46.6 BB
      CO: 119.6 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9:spade: 9:heart:

UTG raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, Hero calls 2.6 BB, fold

Flop: (13 BB, 4 players) J:diamond: 7:spade: 9:club:
      Hero checks, UTG bets 6.2 BB, fold, BTN raises to 23 BB, Hero raises to 106.8 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 100.6 BB, BTN calls 83.4 BB and is all-in

Turn: (333 BB, 3 players) Q:diamond:

River: (333 BB, 3 players) 8:diamond:

BTN shows 7:club: 7:heart: (Three of a Kind, Sevens)

Main Pot [332.2 BB]: (Pre 15%, Flop 5%, Turn 2%)

Hero shows 9:spade: 9:heart: (Three of a Kind, Nines)

Main Pot [332.2 BB]: (Pre 18%, Flop 5%, Turn 2%)
      Side Pot#1 [0.8 BB]: (Pre 19%, Flop 5%, Turn 2%)

UTG shows J:heart: J:club: (Three of a Kind, Jacks)

Main Pot [332.2 BB]: (Pre 67%, Flop 90%, Turn 95%)
      Side Pot#1 [0.8 BB]: (Pre 81%, Flop 95%, Turn 98%)

UTG wins 0.8 BB
      UTG wins 315.6 BB

This happened the very next session

BTN: 57 BB
      SB: 123.2 BB
      BB: 115.6 BB
      UTG: 158.4 BB
      MP: 160 BB
      Hero (CO): 100 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T:diamond: T:club:

UTG raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, fold, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12.4 BB, 4 players) T:heart: 6:spade: A:club:
      BB checks, UTG bets 8.8 BB, MP calls 8.8 BB, Hero calls 8.8 BB, fold

Turn: (38.8 BB, 3 players) 3:heart:
      UTG bets 27.6 BB, MP raises to 55.2 BB, Hero raises to 88.2 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 60.6 BB, MP raises to 121.2 BB, UTG calls 33 BB

River: (369.4 BB, 3 players) K:heart:
      UTG bets 25.4 BB and is all-in, MP calls 25.4 BB

UTG shows 8:heart: A:heart: (Flush, Ace High)

MP shows 6:heart: 6:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Sixes)

Hero mucks T:diamond: T:club: (Three of a Kind, Tens)

UTG wins 111.8 BB
      UTG wins 288.4 BB

Gross. I don't think I can find a fold here. I am still not sure if call is better or not.

BTN: 127.2 BB
      Hero (SB): 105.4 BB
      BB: 118.4 BB
      UTG: 123.8 BB
      MP: 164.4 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q:heart: K:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.6 BB, Hero raises to 7.8 BB, fold, BTN calls 5.2 BB

Flop: (16.6 BB, 2 players) 4:diamond: 4:heart: T:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 5 BB, Hero calls 5 BB

Turn: (26.6 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (26.6 BB, 2 players) 2:spade:
      Hero bets 12.6 BB, BTN calls 12.6 BB

Hero shows Q:heart: K:spade: (One Pair, Fours)
      (Pre 25%, Flop 14%, Turn 16%)
      BTN shows A:heart: Q:club: (One Pair, Fours)
      (Pre 75%, Flop 86%, Turn 84%)
      BTN wins 49.4 BB

I think I should have just bluff this OTF and maybe think about double barreling when the gutshot hits. He has a lot of overs and Ace highs that will peel here.

As played he bets so small I think his hand is weak and capped, so I should betting the turn with a gutshot and barrel the river. Maybe that is too aggressive.