[NL2] 99s UTG;

• zednik44
      zednik44
      Bronze
      V was a 24/19/ AF 3. The hand started to unravel on the turn.

My questions:

1) Should I not 4 bet 99s in this spot to begin with? I mean otherwise I end up calling a 3 bet out of position with middle pair which feels weird. I felt confused when he called as I really expected the fold. When the flop came I thought I would be fine, but then V got sticky. Basically I would curious to hear whether I should have a) folded or b) 4 bet larger
      2) Should I fire on the turn? Checked due to not knowing what to do, which is of course not a particularly good reason lol.
      3) My River bet felt useless. in theory, I was trying to get value from over cards that missed but I think he raised with his TTs or over pair. thoughts on improvement here? a check/ fold ?

Thanks in advance! Of course, any additional thoughts and criticism are welcome.
      $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      8 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
      UTG Hero ($3.41) 171bb
      UTG+1 ($1.97) 99bb
      MP1 ($1.80) 90bb
      MP2 ($1) 50bb
      CO ($1.29) 65bb
      BTN ($2.89) 145bb
      SB ($2.11) 106bb
      BB ($1.21) 61bb

Pre-Flop: (0.03, 8 players) Hero is UTG :9c: :9d:
      Hero raises to $0.05, 4 folds, BTN raises to $0.08, SB calls $0.07, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.35, BTN calls $0.27, SB folds

Flop: :7h: :7s: :4c: ($0.80, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.46, BTN calls $0.46

Turn: :Jd: ($1.72, 2)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: :4s: ($1.72, 2)
      Hero bets $0.52, BTN raises to $1.87, Hero folds

Final Pot:
      $4.11

BTN wins $4.01 (net +$1.33)

Hero lost $1.33
      SB lost $0.08
  • 8 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      You have very good odds to just call pre and set mine. 4bet is too much.
      When he min 3bets and calls a 4bet he looks like he is trapping and could do this with KK+.
      Maybe you can cbet the flop and then just give up. Btw, in a 4bet pot on a board that is dry your cbet is quite big.
      That river bet probably doesn't accomplish much. Villain probably doesn't have any weaker made hands that would call so it might just induce bluffs.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I would just call pre-flop for set value and if we don’t improve we can easy fold. I expect the BTN has most of the time a better pair then you. If we 4bet we are blowing up the pot up without too much equity if he’s calling or shoving.

The flop is dry, but I don’t think we can let him fold any hands except AK maybe and is checking it down most likely better and giving up on a reasonable bet.

The river is indeed a check and hoping you get a free showdown.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • TurokRider
      TurokRider
      Bronze
      I also would just call the 3bet pre. 99 is a great hand to play a multiway pot with and setmine.
      I would not cbet but check/call OTF and prob do the same OTT and OTR. Let him bet with his high cards and potcontrol if he has overpairs

As played, I would deffo check/call river and don't bet myself. There is no value to get unless you bet really really small, but than you might induce bluffs
    • Dadramel
      Dadramel
      Silver
      I wouldn't 4bet pre in the first place, you don't wanna play in 4bet pot with 99 against a miniraiser
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Hello,

as I really expected the fold.
      U should not turn your strong hands into a bluff here. It would be way better to 4bet something like A2 since ace blocks his value range. Not saying that i ever 4bet bluff there i only 4bet fish with value hands.

So 99 should be just a call. U dont have to worry about a position because preflop u are getting such a great odds that u can play just fit or fold for your setmining.

As played than bet flop is good. U need to protect your hand against overcards. U can bet 1/3 of the pot which is enough for that. On turn i like that u check and river should be check again. Dunno if he is going t ocall one more time with AK or something like that.
    • tmannie
      tmannie
      Silver
      I agree with all the above. I would have treated my 9's as a set mine perhaps done the flop conti bet and shutdown thereafter.
      tmannie
    • toteatoo
      toteatoo
      Silver
      Villain raises (even minraise) vs UTG, that is strong move and with 4bet you turn your 99 into bluff - you have good odds for setmine. In his range will be higher pocket pairs, some high Ax hands.
    • DonQuishove
      DonQuishove
      Bronze
      We're missing some information to make the best decision here I feel. Is vilain min 3-betting often? Is it the first time he does that? Considering that he's unknown, I'd prefer to see what he's up to rather than turn my hand it into a bluff.

Considering the 4-bet and the flop bet and call, you now have a very ugly spot. You're out of position, you have no idea where you stand, you have no idea what your opponent could have and the pot is getting big. In general, I would try not to be caught in such situations.

Flat calling preflop would prevent you from being caught in an ugly spot on the turn. It would allow you to keep the pot small, and get away cheaply if vilain shows a lot of aggression.

I would prefer in general to bet the turn that check it, but since vilain could still be holding TT-AA, you really have no idea if you're betting for protection, value or as a bluff. In this case checking is better, but not getting in these slippery situations is the easiest way to go.

Cheers